Lowest prices for your stay
AU$470
Fully refundable before Thu, 7 Mar
No prepayment needed
Agoda.com
AU$386
Fully refundable before Thu, 7 Mar
Easy and fast booking
2,589 results
All reviews jam factory ixl bar studio loft history tour oriental suite exposed beams spa room free valet parking harbour view room fabulous hotel old building perfect location in house constitution dock salamanca markets hj tasmania
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 May 2021 via mobile

This is my second time staying at the Henry Jones Art hotel, I stayed in a room overlooking the Harbour for 3 nights, which was huge and very comfortable. The air conditioning was a bit of a challenge, it didn’t seem to really cool the room but the staff bought a fan for me which really assisted. I love the bar in this hotel, they make great cocktails, it’s a fantastic location. It’s a busy hotel, there’s not much personalised service, but at the same time you don’t really need it. Everything’s right there in Hobart where you need it and it’s easy to walk to all the restaurants and the markets. The size of the room is particularly impressive, it has a lovely couch and a nice view and the bathroom and the shower in particular are really great. We had valet service for the car, which was quick and always accessible. We ate breakfast in the restaurant on only one day and it was very nice. Would definitely recommend for the uniqueness of the hotel and the location.

Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank cherylo244
Matt Casey, General Manager at The Henry Jones Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2021

cherylo, I am delighted that everything came together to make your stay at The Henry Jones Art Hotel both comfortable and enjoyable. I share your love for the cocktails that Patrick and his team at The IXL Long Bar so lovingly create, and very much appreciate you spreading the word about them. Next time you need a respite from the real world, we'd love to welcome you back to The Henry Jones.

Until then, best wishes.

Reviewed 15 May 2021

For a special experience, leave the chain-hotels and try this gem! It's helpful if you appreciate art because as the name suggests, it's the backdrop of this unique and lovely hotel.
There is so much elegant character to the Henry Jones, you'll feel like you're in a special place. The rooms are spacious and retain the character of the original jam factory building; ramped up in large rooms with king beds in soft linens, a large elegant bathroom with huge soaker tub and big, wonderful shower; you could live in their rooms!
Explore the 3 floors with walls covered in original, local, sometimes award winning art and if time, take the art tour of the hotel with a guided, well-versed art and history lover.
It's also well situated with an intimate, funky bar, elegant restaurant for fine dining and a casual restaurant for great breakfasts!

Room tip: Room 201 - off the elevator, down a hall and up a few stairs to ultimate privacy!
Date of stay: May 2021
Matt Casey, General Manager at The Henry Jones Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2021

Jackie, thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review of The Henry Jones Art Hotel. It gives us no end of pleasure when every aspect of our guests' stay comes together to create such an enjoyable and memorable experience. I hope you'll keep us in mind next time you are looking for a slightly indulgent, but creatively inspiring getaway.

Until then, best wishes.

Reviewed 8 May 2021

Stayed for 2 nights at the end of our trip. Superior Harbour view spa room had great architectural features of stone wall and beams. Interior fit out very cheap and nasty red and plasticky black ? leather with orange cushions. Chipped furnishings.Spa bath chipped. Strange headboard to put things on but no bed side tables. Very small long bar downstairs but friendly bar staff.
Stay at the MACq. A much better choice with better water views and a balcony and just so much more everything ( apart from the beams and walls). Friendly staff but maybe it needs to make up its mind if it is a hotel and or an art gallery. Worth doing the tour with Greg.
Noisy on Friday night. Need to open the window shutters and clean the window sills.
We needed to put towels over the windows as the shutters do not keep light out and the street lamps have beams that light up the building but also the rooms!

Room tip: Choose a higher floor and away from the bars?
Date of stay: April 2021
Matt Casey, General Manager at The Henry Jones Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2021

pollydoodle, I apologise that some aspects of your room were not quite what you had anticipated -- we have noted your concerns and while some are easier to remedy than others, we will continue our ongoing quest for perfection. I am pleased to read that each of your encounters with our staff was positive, and that you had an opportunity to enjoy our tour and immerse yourself in the richness of our featured art.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 3 May 2021

Located on Hunter Street overlooking Victoria Dock - it is the perfect location in Hobart. This boutique hotel is located in a series of historic waterfront warehouses. It is a unique blending of heritage structure with modern architecture.

We were initially concerned about the potential lack of car parking however those concerns were quickly allayed by the staff, our car was parked in front of the hotel under the hotel's constant supervision.

It was our last night in Tasmania and we booked a Deluxe Spa Room. The room was located on the first floor directly overlooking the waterfront. It couldn't have been a better location.

The room and and en-suite bathroom were so spacious - loved the rustic heritage elements with the exposed timber beams & columns, sandstone walls, which were cleverly balanced with the ultra modern glass and metal features. The bed was large and very comfortable. The spa was perfect for relaxing after a long day's drive.

We both wished that we had booked more than just one night at the hotel, as we would have taken up the option of the free art tour and been able to explore the design gallery.

The breakfast, included in our package, was a little bit of a let down. The food was a la carte and used fresh local produce however it was just an average meal - no wow factor, which I guess I was unfairly expecting in such an amazing hotel.

If I ever came back to Hobart (my last visit was 10 years ago) I would definitely have the Henry Jones Art Hotel on the top of my accommodation list and I would stay more than one night.

Room tip: first floor spa room overlooking the waterfront
1  Thank Dingo_dude
Matt Casey, General Manager at The Henry Jones Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2021

Thanks for taking the time to post your review of The Henry Jones Art Hotel, Dingo_dude.
I'm delighted that you found your guest room comfortable and that our team were able to help with the car parking.
I'd definitely recommend a return trip so that you can enjoy our complimentary art and history tour and spend more time amongst the wonderful works of some of Tasmania's most talented emerging artists. Just don't leave it 10 years again!

Until then, best wishes

Reviewed 1 May 2021

The hotel is well located on the harbour.

Rooms are clean and nice, but also strange because of their heritage.

The service is the problem.

a) asked them to book dinner for us. No action so we did it ourselves.

b) second day asked again to book dinner. again no action. We reminded 5hem on 2 occasions before anything happened

c) no turn down, and each night we had to ask for water at least twice.

d) and dont try to dine at their beautiful restraunt. Fully booked from opening time on both nights. No allowance made for guests staying in house. They said its a very popular restaurant. . I said if we were told you were so busy when we booked our accommodation (which is common practice) we would have booked the restaurant as well months ago.

d) front of house staff not sympathetic and even argumentative when we bought issues to their attention. someone needs to teach them to say “sorry you had a problem, but can i try and fix it..”

Als very noise until 1am. No point trying to go to sleep before this. They need to use sound proof glass etc..

I suggest try the sister hotel across the road MACq01

Room tip: book waterfront rooms with two windows on level,2
Date of stay: April 2021
Matt Casey, General Manager at The Henry Jones Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2021

adriand99, thank you for taking the time to share your review of The Henry Jones Art Hotel.

I am pleased that you found the location of the hotel and outlook over the harbour to be favourable, and I appreciate your compliment regarding the cleanliness of your room. The heritage of our 1820s sandstone buildings certainly does offer an untempered aesthetic that is different to more traditional hotel-fare. If heritage values aren’t to your taste, then I join you in recommending the equally enriching contemporary surrounds of MACq01 Hotel.

adriand99, our Concierge team and I are disappointed that you felt our service levels were lacking. Our service philosophy is based upon anticipation and empathy, and we take pride in following through on our promises. I understand you were left frustrated at not hearing the voicemail message left by our Concierge confirming your first night dinner reservation, however I trust you enjoyed the recommendations and arrangements they made for your subsequent evenings.

Our restricted turndown service is in response to COVID-19 precautions recommended by relevant health authorities, but we do continue to service guest rooms daily. Bottled water is available from the in-room minibar, and in Hobart we are fortunate to enjoy fresh, drinkable rainwater straight from the tap.

adriand99, you are correct that Landscape Restaurant and Grill is beautiful, in design, art, and flavour. We would love all of our guests to have an opportunity to experience Landscape if they wish, and as you suggest, we include a recommendation and link to pre-book dinner within the confirmation email received at the time of making hotel reservations.

While we try to be perfect, if on occasion our service levels falter, we absolutely share your principles of acknowledgement and pragmatism, and I feel this is reflected in the overwhelmingly positive reviews of The Henry Jones Art Hotel, posted on this site and others. We do however, expect our staff to be treated with respect and civility in return, and in instances where our staff are confronted with aggression and bullying, it can be very difficult to achieve an amicable resolution.

adriand99, I am sorry that your experience of The Henry Jones Art Hotel was not as memorable and enjoyable has you had hoped. I wish you the best for your travels in the future.

Regards,