Review Highlights
Great experience

Weather was beautiful crew was awesome especially Leanne nice to learn the history behind Lady... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
Elise H
Short sail on Lady Nelson

Fantastic trip on a tall ship, crew were really helpful and informative, even providing coats when... read more

Reviewed 10 February 2019
Patricia C

Recommended experiences in and around Hobart
Hobart Kayak Tour
283 Reviews
from USD 64.98
from USD 126.35
from USD 20.22
from USD 162.45
More Info
All reviews tall ship volunteer crew friendly crew sailing experience beautiful vessel set sail fellow passengers morning cruise minute cruise dolphins playing derwent river couple of hours fantastic trip great morning great fun maria island sails
Reviewed 24 February 2015

I love sailing ships. Loved our 1 hour cruise. Would have loved a longer cruise but the weather was not in our favour during our stay in Hobart. No wind plenty rain. We were lucky on the day we decided to go as there was enough breeze to experience the peace and quiet of sailing and the rain held of for a couple of hours. This ship is run by volunteers who take there job very seriously but at the same time make you feel welcome aboard and are wealth of local knowledge. The ships captain was a young lady and she knew her stuff. Can't compare the experience with The Derwent Hunter out of Airlie Beach in Qld but still worth doing.

2  Thank Valerie H
Reviewed 19 February 2015

Truth be told, I chose the Lady Nelson by chance. It was the James Craig (square rigger or tall ship out of Sydney) that caught my eye. However, as often happens in life, one is thrown a curveball and must respond in kind. In this case, bad weather forced the James Craig to return home leaving me the following choice: sail on a smaller ship or await the Craig's return. I choose the former and am glad I did. The Lady Nelson proves the oft used and tired euphemism "size doesn't matter" true. She may be small (relatively), but she's all heart -- as is her captain & crew. I learn more about sailing in 4 days aboard the Lady Nelson than at any other time in my life. While staffed by a fully volunteer captain and crew, the Lady Nelson aims for and delivers the highest levels of entertainment, education, commitment, and service. I recommend her unreservedly.

1  Thank MikeFallon
Reviewed 15 February 2015

The trip started on Tuesday 10th February 2015 in Hobart and finished on Friday 13th back in Hobart.
I had traveled from Melbourne with my 84 year old Father to tick off a "Bucket List" sailing trip which in the true sense of the saying "Once in a Lifetime" was indeed real!
Day one we traveled to Woodbridge by motor and stopped at beautiful Peppermint Bay. Mal the Skipper suggested this was our last chance at having a real coffee for the next 4 days. Once we left Woodbridge the Skip gave us a pep talk that this sailing trip was all hands on deck and indeed we would have to work as a team to get the most out it. After leaving Woodbridge and setting our first sails, we all knew the crew and passengers had what it takes to sail the "Lady".
Highlights included two great sunsets in remote sheltered bays, plenty of really good meals to keep us going, sailing across Storm Bay under full sail and twice having dolphins surfing the bow wave, a sight to behold!
This is truly a unique trip, and not to be missed if a you enjoy adventure travel experiences.
Thanks to the Skipper and all the crew who made sure our safety and well being was paramount.
Craig Green
Melbourne, Australia

4  Thank Craig G
Reviewed 8 February 2015 via mobile

As part of the Wooden Boat Show eight of us booked a boat trip on the Lady Nelson and the trip was part of the boat show regatta. The Captain was friendly and competent as were the crew.

The sun shone, the regatta was fabulous allowing us wonderful views of the other wooden boats and everyone was friendly and in good spirits. It was an excellent day.

Volunteer staff were friendly, welcoming and informative. The morning tea and lunch was plentiful and generous including local cheeses and smoked sdon, homemade hummus, tomato snd capsicum soup, pizza, fruit and cake. There were more courses but no one could eat any more!

Reviewed 14 December 2014

This was one of the best value family outings I've done. Pre-booked my group of 12, ranging from age 4 to 69 - all got involved in some aspect of the sailing tasks. Great trip for young and old. What a memorable experience. The crew of volunteers treated us like friends from the minute we approached the vessel. Thankyou to all the crew.

Date of experience: December 2014