Lowest prices for your stay
AU$140
Fully refundable before Sat, 16 Mar
No prepayment needed
Hotels.com
traveller0072017
Australia
Value For Money
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 12 Mar 2023via mobile
When we visited the specials on offer in the bar area were between $20.00 - $25.00
The food was good, great potion size and good value for money.
After trying a couple of restaurants in Battery Point that were disappointing to say the least, we were so happy we stumbled upon the Prince of Wales Hotel. They also had live music on a Sunday afternoon that was a bonus. The beer was good. Outdoor seating available and some indoor seating was adjacent to big open windows.
We had calamari , chips and salad with a really nice spicy aioli and the steak.
The only thing that would of made this review 5 stars was if the bar staff member who served us was a bit more personable.
Date of stay: February 2023
  • ZenHotels.com
    AU$191
1.1 km from Prince of Wales Hotel
View more hotels in Hobart
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 10 March 2023

Booked this accommodation to attend an event in Battery Point. Quite possibly the worst accommodation I have ever booked. If I could give this accommodation less than 1 star I would.
As an introduction, the carpet on the stairs leading to the accommodation was black with use and worse was to come at the top. To the left of the landing, the carpet was even more stained than the stairs, which I didn't think could be possible. The initial room booked, the Kelly Suite, was grubby and it was obvious that the doona covers had not been replaced since the last guests. The toilet had a wooden seat - how does anyone make sure a wooden toilet seat is actually clean, especially in the age of covid. The carpet was stained and the unit dusty. Furniture was also scruffy and in a state off bad repair.
Requested and was given another 'suite' and it was worse than the first (Hampden Suite). This suite had a kitchen and I don't know when it was last given a good clean. The oven was obviously dirty, there was dust and dirt in the main bedroom and the carpet was grotty and spotted with stains. An entrance way to a deck area was a window, the ledge of which was worn and scruffy due to foot traffic and water. One wall decoration was an unframed picture just stuck on the wall. The bathroom was unkempt, with cracked tiles, shower curtain stiff with use, an dirt around the taps. Someone else's hair was in the bath and on the handbasin plug. A wooden blind was broken and one slat was hanging down. And again, the doonas had obviously not been changed since the last guest - these are the things which go near your face when sleeping - not nice!
I can only imagine how a visitor to Tasmania would view the State if this was their first port of call. We repacked our things and left, never to return. This accommodation is not recommended in any way shape or form. We have eaten here previously and the food us good, but the accommodation is not.

Room tip: Not sure there is a decent room in this establishment
Date of stay: March 2023
Reviewed 12 December 2022 via mobile

We decided to go in here for our last night in Hobart. So afterwards we could have a walk around the area once more to take in the lovely buildings. This pub has a fantastic atmosphere and service was excellent. The beer was good but the wine on offer better which matched the food. We done to everyone involved.

Date of stay: December 2022

Lowest

Craig Evans

2 minutes ago

Vacation

I'm writing this review in disgust, recalling the appalling discrimination I was subjected to by one of the hotel staff. …More

Devils Advocate (Chiwi)

Local Guide·41 reviews·55 photos

2 weeks ago

NEW

Found this place as the restaurant attached to our hotel was under renovation.

We had the Stuffed chicken breast W/mash & beans, lamb croquettes & a garden …More

Chris Sydes

a month ago

Family

Stayed one night. The price was decent. The staff were friendly and helpful. The beds were comfortable. However the windows to our room had been left open and these windows were immediately above the outside smoking area, hence the room reeked of cigarette smoke. Made for a terrible night sleep for a couple of non smokers... …More

Noel Brodribb

Local Guide·58 reviews

2 months ago

Dined in a group of about twenty ladies. Never changing menu. Orders taken at table and meals arrived promptly. I recommend baked prosciutto wrapped cheese with quince paste, and bananas in filo pastry with caramel sauce, cream and ice …More

Craig Evans

2 minutes ago

Vacation

On the 10th of November my Fiancé and I were looking for a place to stay after days exploring Tasmania's wild south west. Tired, we got into Hobart approximately 7pm, looked at Bookings.com and saw rooms available at the Prince of Wales Hotel. Rather than booking online, we decided to go directly to the pub. On arrival my partner waited in the car while I went to get a room.

The pub was busy but not overly, so I proceeded to the hotel reception where a male staff
member was welcomingly checking in the lady in front of me. She received her key and got her room location, so I moved to the counter. In a non-engaging the guy looked up, stared and then asked if I was right. I asked if I could get a room and without a moments hesitation I was told we are full and no rooms available, without even checking any reservation schedule. I said no worries and left the building feeling uneasy, like I was just subjected to discrimination knowing full well rooms were available. I jumped in the car and explained everything that had just happened to my partner. Recalling the events I started feeling so angry that this sort of thing still happens in 2022 in Australia.

We then decided to stay at the Casino (which was great). Whilst at dinner I continued to feel upset, playing over in my mind what happened earlier in the evening. I didn't want to let this sort of behaviour go unquestioned so I called the hotel back (almost 2 hours later) and asked if a double bed room was available. The guy on the phone had an accent so I knew he wasn't the staff member who served me. Within no time I was told yes we do and would you like me to book it for you. I asked if he was the manager and when he replied yes, I let him know what occurred and how I felt blatantly discriminated against. Rather than apologise, the manager was back peddling hearing the word discrimination. I didn't want to hear any excuse as I know what discrimination looks and feels like.
Prince of Wales Hotel management you should be ashamed of your establishment!

For the record I'm a 6'1" tattoo covered South African born Aussie. If I could give no stars I would.

Date of stay: November 2022
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 18 September 2022 via mobile

Prince of Wales at Battery Pt - great option for a Fri and Sat stay including markets. So cheap. Is walking distance to markets via lots of stairs. Clean basic ensuited hotel room with an opening window.
So convenient & surrounded by upper class cafes & restaurants away from tourist strip. 1 or 2 nights.
Tip: can be loud in rooms on live music night Saturday.
Didn’t use hire car for 2 days.

Date of stay: September 2022
Reviewed 4 September 2022 via mobile

We popped into this pub this afternoon and enjoyed a bottle of Tassie Riesling to break up our waking tour of Sandy Bay & beautiful Battery Point. It was pretty quiet mid-afternoon on a Sunday, but we liked the vibe and the menu so booked in for dinner.

We’re staying in Salamanca Place and this is a comfortable 10 minute walk, but a wonderful world away.

Dinner was great, serves are generous, staff know what they’re doing and do it with a smile, there was live music in the front bar until 8, so a great night out.

And if you’re staying further away than walking distance, there’s lots of parking.

Date of stay: September 2022