“Very pleasant stay.”

Macquarie Manor
Ranked #29 of 46 Hotels in Hobart
“Very pleasant stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

Stayed in room 15, enoungh room for 3 people easily. The manor had a nice ambience and was located well, being a few minuteswalk from the salamanca markets. Offstreet parking is available, but there are only 7 parks offstreet. Enjoyed the stay, and was made welcome when we arrived. Very nice!

• Stayed March 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

I am writing in regards to a booking i made thru your website last week and the experience i had at the venue i had been booked into by your "mystery deal"
As being a little adventurous i thought i would give this ago and preceded with the $400+ dollars for the 2 nights (room 19) in the 4 star establishment.
The Venue was The Macquarie Manor Heritage Hotel in Hobart Tasmania.

I could go on about the plethora of disappointments of my stay at the Macquarie Manor, but i will keep it short

The below ground bottom level room with iron bars on the two available windows looking out on to a fire escape (we will forget the other window which is covered up by a blind with a broken fan behind it) did not quite rise my spirits for my 2 nights stay, The bath room was un-acceptably dirty with strings of black hair on the walls ( above the toilet & around the mirror) That just made my eye hone in on the pealing Floral dado print along the walls in the bathroom, But the smell of incense or some other masking agent being used to mask what must be damp / obnoxious odours and smells was to me the final disappointment of my room. I suffer from Asthma, along with allergies to dust mites and certain scents.

Upon my leaving the manor Sunday Morning 9.30 ish, I stood in the foyer for about 5-8 minutes noticing a young Female on the computer in the rear of the office jiggaling my keys looking for a bell saying hello into the dining room to no avail, i then stood at the reception and looked into the rear of the office hoping to get the young girls attention to hand in my key and pay for a bottle of water ONLY to get the office door slammed shut..I walked out in disgust !!!

This Heritage hotel or that room (19) is grossly over priced, disappointing and a world away from heritage or Class its damp smelly tired and i feel very disappointed with my experience with both the room and the concept of a "Mystery Deal" .

With the abundance of new/ refurbished and competitive accommodation that we as the consumers have a choice of, it will be very challenging for me to repeat either of my experience with your services again!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank What E
brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

What a great hotel! Right in middle of city in a lovely old sandstone house (built 1875) with friendly service and great rooms. Rare experience to stay in such an old building with such history and antique decor, so refreshing after staying in the soulless chain hotels in Hobart (not naming names *cough* mercure).

I've stayed in lots of places and never anything comparable to this. Would definitely stay again.

Only negative things are what others have listed, however I think they're a bit over-selling the negative aspects. Some people will just complain about everything really. The carpark is small, and difficult to manage if you have a large car or if it's full. Know this and plan other options of don't take your winnebago in... simple.

Enjoy it's a good stay.

Room Tip: downstairs is good
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Gold Coast, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Was in town on business. Stayed four nights. Great rooms, very big and well appointed. Great beds. Excellent service and in very convenient location.

I rate hotels mainly be quality of sleep and I had a great nights sleep. This Hotel has loads of character and I would certainly stay at the Hotel if in Hobart again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

I ended up with this hotel as part of one of the mystery hotel bookings. I had never booked a mystery hotel before. The write up said that it was a hotel close to the harbour, so I thought you can't go wrong. To start with this hotel is on a very busy street and there is only one appropriate park for pulling up to checkin. This is where we parked to checkin. The staircase in this place is very steep and there is no lift. They ended up putting our bags in a lounge lift, after we were treated weird that we had bags (this is a hotel, most people will have bags). When we were walking to our car we were given a speech by a woman (I think one of the managers) about how we had parked. We were parked in the very narrow alley way which is also their driveway in the smallest car in the world within the marked carpark and she was given us a speech. Not a good start. This was the first ever time we had been to Hobart and we had just arrived off the plane and this is how we are welcome.
There is a VERY complicated parking system at this place as there is limited parking. There is no option to park out on the street (without paying a fortune).
Our room was awful dark and smelt like stale cigarettes (this was a non-smoking room).
In short, the place stinks and the staff are rude and weird.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple