“Rating the food and service - very poor”

Shipwright's Arms Hotel
Ranked #36 of 48 Hotels in Hobart
Hobart, Australia
“Rating the food and service - very poor”
Reviewed 21 December 2016

We went here a couple of weeks ago for my husbands work Christmas dinner. A 6pm booking. A few things not available on the menu, not such a big deal. We were in the room that had a bar but the staff said they couldnt serve drinks from it as it was too confusing - for who Im not quite sure... So every time some-one wanted a drink they had to go to the main bar. The food was average,the staff unfriendly and unhelpful. What happened to this glorious old pub that was always packed and had a fun friendly atmosphere. Wont be going back again.

• Stayed December 2016, travelled on business
1 Thank HobartGina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 16 December 2016

It was the first time that we had visited Shippies. We had not booked in and were surprised that we got a seat (let alone being the only ones in the restaurant). Husband had the scallops, while I opted for the seafood selection. I noticed that the meal included a couple of things that I really don't like and the waitress was only too happy to leave these off my plate and add something else in place of - which was most appreciated. The meals were very fresh, large proportions and tasted delicious. My only complaint was that the noise from the bar was really loud. Staff were friendly and I would definitely enjoy a meal her again.

Stayed December 2016, travelled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 9 December 2016

Cosy in winter, great nautical decor, friendly bright service, food above average pub food comparable with restaurants. I visit shippies every Hobart visit. Good place if solo with a friendly bar. Also good for a large group in the restaurant. Food is a little expensive for a large family but very affordable for a group of adults. Also is disabled accessible from the back. Interior is bigger than it seems. Service is not fancy, mostly enthusiastic university students and euro backpackers with fully functioning brains.

• Stayed November 2016, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 November 2016 via mobile

I enjoyed the shipwright arms until I had the misfortune of deciding to have a night cap at the bar after the beautiful day spent in Hobart. Upon reflection I wish I went to bed.
- I was insulted by the owner thinking he was being "funny"

- I had someone go through my handbag which resulted in my phone screen being smashed in the bar troff because the owner told him "I look dodgy" ?????

- A fight ensued of two patrons right beside me.

To be sure, I did not feel comfortable sleeping upstairs after this series of events. The remainder of my stay I avoided the bar and hotel at all costs. It was truly disappointing. I get angry every time I look at my phone screen which could have been avoided if there were respect for a persons belongings and a woman's handbag.

I would like to note that the manager and bar staff were great, the owner should be thankful to have employed such wonderful staff and should leave tending the bar to them.

Stayed October 2016, travelled solo
3 Thank Goodfoodtraveller

Travellers are raving about these Hobart hotels

Newcastle
Reviewed 9 November 2016

Called in for dinner ,this time sober , have only been in after finishing a boat race to hobart as much as i enjoyed the celebrations i really enjoyed the experience even more in quieter times .The food was to die for, the service was exceptional and the atmosphere fantastic. Lots of tradition would highly recommend.

Room Tip: not sure only had dinner