Open today: 12:00 am - 11:59 pm
Review Highlights
A journey through paradise

I took the 8-day full Franklin River rafting trip 22-28 Dec 2020. The guides who went with us were... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
kigrant
Canberra, Australia
Fantastic Week on the River

We have just returned from a 7 day rafting trip and we have memories that will last forever. It was... read more

Reviewed 21 December 2020
1237cat
UK

Recommended experiences in and around Hobart
from USD 116.90
from USD 153.24
from USD 212.18
from USD 113.95
More Info
All reviews day adventure franklin river rafting epic adventure equipment provided trip leader rock scrambling glow worms high water sleeping bags wild place bucket list experience deep knowledge temperate rainforest incredible knowledge world heritage listed memorable trip once in a lifetime
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 June 2019

After visiting Tasmania and the lower Gordon in the late 70’s with my family, marching in Sydney to stop the damming of the Franklin and finally getting to fulfil a dream of my dad’s (just turned 80) and mine to raft the Franklin River.
I researched and called all the tour operators and felt most comfortable with Water by Nature and what a great choice it was.
We did the 7-day full river tour with a group of family and friends, if you are looking for a trip with adventure in the wilderness then this is a trip you can’t miss out on. There are not many places where you can travel for Days and see no civilization what a bliss. and the food will blow you away (it is making my mouth water thinking about the meals) from prawns, to sticky date pudding and many more delicious meals.
The river is wild and at all times we felt safe in the hands of our guide. If you are thinking about doing the trip give Water by Nature a call you won’t be disappointed.
Don’t forget your Go Pro if you have one, if not don’t worry as they supply you with a great DVD of you trip. Cant wait to go back

Date of experience: November 2018
Reviewed 28 May 2019 via mobile

This trip was one of the best wilderness adventures I have ever done. The landscape and waterways are as pristine as they come and the sites take you back to an ancient epoch untouched by humans. Brett, Scotty, Sam and the rest of the crew are great hosts, storytellers, environmentalists, cooks and always had a good joke to tell. I highly recommend this amazing adventure down the mighty Franklin River with Water by Nature.

Date of experience: December 2018
Reviewed 28 May 2019 via mobile

My partner and I did the 7 day trip down the franklin with water by nature after Christmas over New Year’s Eve. It was hand down one of the best New Years we have ever had! The river is amazing! The fauna is unlike any other Australian place I have visited. It’s absolutely stunning.

Brett and the team were great. The food was really yummy and we were well fed. The camp were also really great. There is a bit of paddling on the last few days but it’s all worth it.

Would definitely recommend this unique trip to anyone who is seeking a bit of adventure and wanting to see one of the last places of Gondwana land.

Date of experience: January 2019
Reviewed 27 May 2019

Well in January I set out to run the Franklin again. This was my second trip with Brett and his team, the first having been over 20 years ago back in the Peregrine days. It had been unforgettable then. It was different but no less inspirational this time around.

It's hard to describe the feeling of relief it was to finally get on the water at the bridge. Wetsuit on, [addle in hand, and wallets keys, mobile phones and all the trappings of everyday city life buried deep in our bags, not to be touched again for 11 days. The journey commenced...

The motley crew consisted of my son Leo and I, another father and son pair, a committed adventurer from Melbourne who decided he would claim the rubber ducky, our two illustrious and indefatigable guides and one of the guide's girlfriend - who was so well acquainted with rivercraft it was almost like having a 3rd guide.

Water was much lower this time around so the first day involved a lot of dancing around obstacles till we reached the main river late in the day.

The scenery in the Franklin is quite unforgettable. And the beauty of rafting it is that it provides access to areas of the wilderness it would take weeks to pack-walk to. If I'd had my camera accessible all the time I would have had to use it constantly. Instead, the slower river currents provided more time to drink in the scenery and explore the side creeks and waterfalls on foot, while the rapids were sheer joy and adrenaline - just as they had been under high water conditions the first time I went.

Throughout the trip, the guides did a stirling job of looking after us. The food was excellent and plentiful just as it had been the first time when Brett was out guide and did all the cooking. We'd even managed to bring a few beers with us which we managed to dispose of during the journey.

If you're reading this review and thinking about rafting the Franklin, then Stop It...

Just do it.

I promise you, you will never ever forget it. The scenery and images and sheer majesty of the bush will forever haunt you. You will have experienced first hand one of the last great wild rivers on earth. And I can not commend Brett and his team enough to you for their hard work, planning, diligence, skills and many stories and insights into the river.

Gabriel

Date of experience: January 2019
1  Thank GabrielHay
Reviewed 16 April 2019

An incredible seven day rafting trip on the mighty Franklin River. The Water By Nature guides were fantastic with their guidance through rapids and their knowledge of the river and surrounds (not to mention the amazing and plentiful food they produced each day). Highly recommended.

Date of experience: April 2019