“THE BEST HOTEL IN HOBART”
Review of The Duke

The Duke
Ranked #68 of 663 Restaurants in Hobart
Price range: USD 7 - USD 28
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Real Food, Real Music At the Duke we love to share the best of Tasmania. So we source our food locally, our artwork is local, as are our musicians, and our extensive collection of Tassie Gins and Whiskys. Live music every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and Quiz every Wednesday evening.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Myself and my son were told that the Duke was a great place to have a cold beer, meal and a game of pool.
Upon our arrival we met the owners and immediately enjoyed the hotel.
The owners Ta Kiree and Doug are truely great people who made myself and my son welcome and were very approachable.
Myself and my son played the guitars that were there and were amazed and entertained by Ta Kiree’s beautiful voice as we played. Having the opportunity to play the guitar with my son and have this beautiful amazing entraining lady sing was truely memorable.
The food and atmosphere is great and I encourage every person to visit The Duke for a good and welcoming experience.
I was so impressed I went back the second night and again enjoyed the great atmosphere and food.
If you are in Hobart I encourage you to go to The Duke you won’t be disappointed, thank you Ta Kiee and Doug you made my Tasmanian Holiday.

1  Thank Cez8254

Reviewed 23 March 2018

Our dining experience was sub-par to say the least.
We made a booking to secure a table for 2, when we arrived we were told to 'just sit anywhere'. As there were an array of seats to choose from we chose a cosy table for two, already feeling forgotten, we shrugged that off and were determined to enjoy a nice meal together.
The waiter took our drink order and brought the specials board to our table (impressive). We ordered our meals and they were brought out promptly by an enthusiastic waitress (who was clearly good at her job). The meals were cooked and presented impeccably. It was at this point our dining experience took a nose dive.
We were offered more drinks, we declined. We were basically ignored after that point, it took to the end of our night when the plates were cleared off the table and barely given eye contact. We made our way to the bar to pay, had to explain where we sat as no table numbers were supplied, we had to read out to the third person of contact of the evening what we ordered.
As we were leaving, I enquired the total cost to my partner. As he explained an amount that clearly did not meet what we had ordered, we made our way back to the bar to query why we had been overcharged. As we waited what felt like a lifetime to be attended to, with the cashier to look at us directly and ignore us, the barman was more interested in washing glasses than to hear my 3rd 'EXCUSE ME PLEASE'. We were finally attended to by the waitress, explained we felt we had been grossly overcharged she addressed this with the glass washing barman who came to us with the enthusiasm of a dead fish. We again explained our issue, then the cashier guy came over. It was worked out we were charged for a bottle of wine instead of a glass. That's ok, people make mistakes. It was the weakest apology I have an issue with. I was not even given eye contact, so I felt like I was a hassle to the cashier.
When refunding our money we were given cash ( no other option) and promptly turned his back on us. Never going back. 10/10 for food 0/10 for service.

Reviewed 7 March 2018

It was late afternoon on the first Tuesday of March. As dedicated Saskatchewan tourists we had left finding a place for supper until the very last minute and we stopped in at the Duke presuming that we would find a table. As it worked out, the first Tuesday of each month is their busiest night of the month: it is their "Blues Night".
We were obviously disappointed and the manager took pity on our plight and "found" us a table which ended being right beside the performance location. This act of courtesy was beyond anything we have experienced in our two months "on the road" and we can't be more appreciative. To top it off, we were attended to by a most pleasant and accommodating staff and served absolutely great food.
Then there was the music of the Billy Warner Trio: a world class blues group.
As two young at heart seniors from Saskatchewan, we were blown away.
Thanks to each and everyone associated with The Duke.

1  Thank Reklaw252
Reviewed 5 March 2018

A really great dining experience. All the staff were very friendly & gave great service. The pork belly was easily the best i've ever had.

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Great pub food. Love the fact that there are good vegan and gf options. My jumbuck pizza was the best pizza I have ever had. Saying a lot I know. Very attentive staff. Can’t speak highly enough of this pub!