Review Highlights
30 minute walk in rain forest with lots of mushrooms

The nature trail is a 30 minute walk in the rain forest by the Franklin river and the Surprise... read more

Reviewed 7 May 2018
Fred T
Reno, Nevada
8 Day Private Raft/Packraft Trip

Reviewed 20 March 2018
Smokeydunk

Recommended experiences in and around Tasmania
from USD 21.36
from USD 83.28
from USD 97.77
from USD 79.66
More Info
All reviews rafting trip white water rafting worked tirelessly true wilderness seven days green moss incredible journey fillet steak spent christmas and new year rock scrambling amazing experience memorable trip tour company fresh food side trips temperate rainforest rafts
Reviewed 20 March 2018

A group of 10 friends in 2 x 3m rafts and 4 x packrafts did the descent at the start of March. Our group's level of experience varied. One had never been in a raft before, one was a first time packrafter but on the other hand, two of the group had done the trip before, one packrafter and one on a commercial trip and that was a huge advantage. I wouldn't advise any private group to even think about it without this level of experience as a minimum. The river notes alone can't provide all you need to know to either safely negotiate the tricky spots at different levels, or to fully experience the whole trip. Apart from this there's a huge amount of logistics involved e.g. transport of gear and people. Both our trip leader and our main trip organiser did amazing jobs. The rest of us pretty much tagged along.

A couple of tips;
- If you're going to do Frenchman's Cap, make sure you're in camp the night before and make sure you're pretty fit. It's not for the under-done (yes that might have been me) and even if you're up for it, it's a full day' walk.
- The portage around the Cauldron is a nightmare. We probably couldn't have done it any differently with the small boats and at the level we had but I think we'd still be there if it wasn't for the strength and capability of our little gang. We got there late in the day and had to overnight there, rafters on top of the cliff at Eagles Nest (and this was as many as will fit there) and our packer rafters about 200m downstream.
- Don't miss the Lost World side trip. It was one of the high lights.
- Make sure you're equipped for and experienced at repairing boats. We had some major damage early in the trip which could have had the potential to ruin our experience if we hadn't been able to effect repairs.
- Hang your food bags up outside your tents. We had some hungry and destructive little visitors at our Newlands camp.
- The yacht out to Strahan on the Gordon is well worth the money.
- Don't underestimate the benefits of keeping dry and warm (well as dry and warm as possible). I splashed out on a semi-dry top for the trip and it was well worth it. I think I was the only one in the group who managed to stay above water for the whole trip. Good quality dry bags are also worth the money.
- Don't take as much food as I did.

I have been trying to do this trip for almost ten years and it didn't disappoint. We had great weather and good water levels (1.2 at the Collingwood I think it was) and I didn't hear a cross word exchanged in our party all week. Whatever you do make sure you experience this amazing bit of nature and try to do it with as good a group of people as I did.

Date of experience: March 2018
2  Thank Smokeydunk
Reviewed 19 March 2018

The Franklin River is such a beautiful place. Thank-you Klaudia, for your passion and experience in guiding us into this wild river world and inspiring us to see the water and its moods. And to Rebecca, thank-you for bringing Wild Yoga to the Franklin and working the Wild Mind with us.

And the vegetarian food! Wow! I did not expect such great tucker!!! Again, thank-you Klaudia. You are one of the most hard-working and wonderfully crazy woman I have met in a while. What a GEM you are.

Thankyou Water by Nature - what an incredible experience!

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

Amazing safe outdoor experience headed by Brett - aka Roger Federer of the rapids with fun fit and fabulous Abigail and Jayde. Food was AAA; the body develops some muscles and the repartee kept the jaws loosened.
Don’t do it with anyone else.

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed 4 March 2018

We absolutely loved our 8-day Franklin River trip in January 2018 with Water by Nature Tasmania.

The river and surrounding wilderness is breathtaking. We felt lucky everyday just to be in such a special place.

Our guides Scotty and Angelo were fantastic - they had a perfect mix of safety, knowledge, organisation and fun, and were top camp cooks. They really made our trip awesome - thank you lads!

To anyone thinking of doing this trip, do it! It is a truly amazing experience. Go prepared for a week of incredible campsites, the most amazing starry skies you've ever seen, good old hard yakka and repeated surges of adrenaline! The sense of achievement at the end makes all the paddling worthwhile :)

Date of experience: January 2018
Reviewed 22 February 2018

I whole heartedly recommend rafting down the Franklin River and Water by Nature Tasmania. I am 58 years old and a vegetarian. The food was great and the care of the rafters and attention to safety was clearly paramount to the guides. Its not an easy paddle. You need to be prepared for cold and some hard work but its worth it. The Franklin River is amazing and needs to be experienced first hand. Thanks Brett, Scott and Ross for a life time memory. Blessings Nicholas.

Date of experience: February 2018