“Water by Nature Franklin River”

Franklin River Nature Trail
Ranked #107 of 843 things to do in Tasmania
Reviewed 21 February 2015

We have just completed an exceptional trip with Brett and Klaudia from Water by Nature
. Just a wonderful experience. A group of 10 young men , well in mind,50 to 73 years. The food, the scenery the wilderness the river the camp site and those special side trips made this a 10 out of 10 for me. I had to pass up my annual powder trip to Japan, for this trip and I was not disappointed. Yes you are pushed out of your comfort zone from time to time , but the rewards are tenfold. Its wilderness at it best, yet somehow each evening Brett and Klaudia continue to serve up exotic food, the best of both worlds.

All reviews
"incredible journey"
"green moss"
"fillet steak"
in 2 reviews
"spent christmas and new year"
"rock scrambling"
"side trips"
"these guys"
"world heritage area"

Reviewed 16 February 2015

If you are thinking about a bucket list trip that only a very lucky few get to experience then rafting the Franklin ticks all the boxes. There are several companies who raft the Franklin. As an older traveler but aspirations of a young adventurer safety was an important consideration for me. Rafting with Brett and his team at Water by Nature Tasmania exceeded all my expectations. They were professional, well organised and we all felt safe, secure and well supported at all times. Safety was their priority. They also managed to serve fresh delicious food and share their knowledge of the river gained over many years. As we paddled we saw unforgettable scenery, we saw a platypus on the river and and quoll ran about in one of our camp sites. None of this would have been possible without the exceptional skills of Brett and his team. If you are planning a trip on the Franklin book with Water by Nature Tasmania. I wouldn't have changed a thing.

4  Thank Vicki190
Reviewed 27 January 2015

My dream was to raft the Franklin before I turned 50, but instead I managed to go with my wife a three adult children . We completed the 7 day full Franklin river tour under the expert guidance of Brett and Klaudia. They got us safely down the river and served up amazing food. We were helped by a nice rain event the night before departure to raise the water levels for the initial upper Franklin and then reached Newlands for a rest day which coincided with a huge dump that raised the river 3 meters and flushed us along the lower Franklin for the last two days. The gear we were provided with was excellent (wetsuits, spray jacket, helmet, lilo and dry bag) and it was good to have only a few items for camping. The rafts were amazing - they withstood the sharp rocks without puncturing and despite a capsize, no gear was lost or got wet. One of my daughters freaked out when the raft capsized and she came up underneath the raft, but she grabbed a breath from the air bubble underneath the raft and managed to swim safely out. The guides were extremely knowledgeable about the river despite its changing levels and hazards and took great care which rapids could be safely paddled over. We had to walk around a few and this involved some rock scrambling and climbing, so you need good soles for grip on your wet shoes. The campsites varied depending on the river level and we slept in the open apart from Newlands where the rock overhang sheltered us from the rain. If you needed a tarp or tent, it would need to squeeze in between trees as there were few large open flat areas. We stopped to explore wonderful secrets like waterfalls, caves and canyons along the way. Brett has a dry sense of humour which suits river guiding!

2  Thank John E
Reviewed 25 January 2015

The seven-day journey organised by Water by Nature down the Franklin River must rank among one of the greatest adventure trips in Tasmania, if not in the world: just imagine - being immersed for seven days in this awesome wilderness, with nothing but the water, rocks, forest, sky and sun being of importance. The rafts and equipment were first class, and both guides highly skilled, knowledgeable and worked incredibly hard to make this a most memorable and safe journey. Food was amazing, fresh every day (no dehydrated stuff!!), delicious (imagine garlic scallops as an entree with one of the meals!!) with wine being served with every meal! A truly remarkable, unforgettable journey!

2  Thank Henro09
See more reviews
Reviewed 11 January 2015

I rafted the Franklin river for 7 days in late December to early January this year with Water By Nature.

It's the only rafting I've done.

It was tough, easy, challenging, beautiful and very, very rewarding. The food continually amazed me; plenty, varied and delicious - all in the middle of a remote river - thank you, Brett for your thoughtful menu and generous cooking.

And thank you to each of the three licensed guides who looked after us with attentive, careful eyes and supported us with each paddle.

I grew to trust the guides and know they had our welfare at the heart of their work.

I feel rich to have been given the opportunity to 'purge' my body and spirit of 'civilization' with Water by Nature and to be back in town with good spirits and energy.

Try it, and, if you do, make sure you try it with Water By Nature,