“Water by Nature Franklin River”

Franklin River Nature Trail
Sydney, Australia
“Water by Nature Franklin River”
Reviewed 21 February 2015

We have just completed an exceptional trip with Brett and Klaudia from Water by Nature
. Just a wonderful experience. A group of 10 young men , well in mind,50 to 73 years. The food, the scenery the wilderness the river the camp site and those special side trips made this a 10 out of 10 for me. I had to pass up my annual powder trip to Japan, for this trip and I was not disappointed. Yes you are pushed out of your comfort zone from time to time , but the rewards are tenfold. Its wilderness at it best, yet somehow each evening Brett and Klaudia continue to serve up exotic food, the best of both worlds.

Visited February 2015

Greater Wellington, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Water by Nature Tasmania”
Reviewed 16 February 2015

If you are thinking about a bucket list trip that only a very lucky few get to experience then rafting the Franklin ticks all the boxes. There are several companies who raft the Franklin. As an older traveler but aspirations of a young adventurer safety was an important consideration for me. Rafting with Brett and his team at Water by Nature Tasmania exceeded all my expectations. They were professional, well organised and we all felt safe, secure and well supported at all times. Safety was their priority. They also managed to serve fresh delicious food and share their knowledge of the river gained over many years. As we paddled we saw unforgettable scenery, we saw a platypus on the river and and quoll ran about in one of our camp sites. None of this would have been possible without the exceptional skills of Brett and his team. If you are planning a trip on the Franklin book with Water by Nature Tasmania. I wouldn't have changed a thing.

4 Thank Vicki190
Loxton, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Franklin River Rafting Tasmania”
Reviewed 30 January 2015

What a great experience. To all those people in the 80's who protested against the government to Dam it... Thank you!! I have now shown one of my children how beautiful true nature is. Thanks to our guides, Franzi & Shaun. Your food, enthusiasm, knowledge and friendship will not be forgotten. A truly amazing 8 days with nature. Thank you Franklin River Rafting.

1 Thank JanF2285
Greater Perth, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Go! And then go again. And again...”
Reviewed 29 January 2015

My wife and I first crossed the Franklin river in 1981, at the old cable crossing at the start of the Frenchman's Cap walk, and after that brief glimpse bought "Notes for Franklin River Rafter and Bushwalkers" by Fred Duncan and the now well-known Bob Brown, with the intention of making a trip down-river one day. But as life turned out, that day was 30 years later when I went back with my son to raft the Franklin on a commercial trip as a 50th birthday present to myself, and to cross it off my "bucket list". That's where I first met Elias and Franzi who were the guides on that trip.

I've spent a lot of time in the bush during those 30 years, and a lot of that time on my own doing things that would generally be classed as risky; I've learnt to rely on my own judgement and manage the risks of being miles from nowhere with little or no backup. There are very few people I respect enough to rely upon in the bush, and it was a bit strange for me to have someone else be responsible for my safety and general well being, not to mention cooking my meals! But without doubt I can say that Elias and Franzi are two of those rare people.

There are so many wonderful places to visit in Australia and the world, and life's so short, that it's hard to justify doing the same trip twice. But after that trip in 2011 I immediately started thinking about repeating it with my daughters. Luckily, since then, Elias and Franzi started up Franklin River Rafting; so it was a no-brainer for me who to sign up with in 2015 for a repeat. But now I know that no two trips on the Franklin could ever be the same, so I hope to make it a hat trick one day. Hopefully Elias and Franzi will still be doing their thing when that day comes, and if they're not then I'll certainly be asking their advice on who to go with.

If you're reading this then you probably love the wilderness already and are just trying to make up your mind who to go with. Other reviews mention Elias and Franzi's professionalism and skill, the repartee, the above-standard gear, the wonderful food, the attention to safety and it's all true. But for me there is something more which I can't easily put into words. Let me just say this: If you are thinking about groov'n down the Franklin then make Franklin River Rafting your choice and then maybe you'll know what I mean.

Oh, and between trips, I was diagnosed with Ceoliac disease, and the required strictly Gluten-free diet can often be a challenge when it comes to travel. But if you're like me, or a couple of the others on my second trip with other special dietary needs, be assured that Elias and Franzi will look after you well, just tell them what you need.

3 Thank IanMoore2468
Canberra, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Exhilarating, beautiful, gourmet food, excellent river guides”
Reviewed 27 January 2015

My dream was to raft the Franklin before I turned 50, but instead I managed to go with my wife a three adult children . We completed the 7 day full Franklin river tour under the expert guidance of Brett and Klaudia. They got us safely down the river and served up amazing food. We were helped by a nice rain event the night before departure to raise the water levels for the initial upper Franklin and then reached Newlands for a rest day which coincided with a huge dump that raised the river 3 meters and flushed us along the lower Franklin for the last two days. The gear we were provided with was excellent (wetsuits, spray jacket, helmet, lilo and dry bag) and it was good to have only a few items for camping. The rafts were amazing - they withstood the sharp rocks without puncturing and despite a capsize, no gear was lost or got wet. One of my daughters freaked out when the raft capsized and she came up underneath the raft, but she grabbed a breath from the air bubble underneath the raft and managed to swim safely out. The guides were extremely knowledgeable about the river despite its changing levels and hazards and took great care which rapids could be safely paddled over. We had to walk around a few and this involved some rock scrambling and climbing, so you need good soles for grip on your wet shoes. The campsites varied depending on the river level and we slept in the open apart from Newlands where the rock overhang sheltered us from the rain. If you needed a tarp or tent, it would need to squeeze in between trees as there were few large open flat areas. We stopped to explore wonderful secrets like waterfalls, caves and canyons along the way. Brett has a dry sense of humour which suits river guiding!

2 Thank John E