“Exhilarating, beautiful, gourmet food, excellent river guides”

Franklin River Nature Trail
Ranked #107 of 699 things to do in Tasmania
Reviewed 27 January 2015

My dream was to raft the Franklin before I turned 50, but instead I managed to go with my wife a three adult children . We completed the 7 day full Franklin river tour under the expert guidance of Brett and Klaudia. They got us safely down the river and served up amazing food. We were helped by a nice rain event the night before departure to raise the water levels for the initial upper Franklin and then reached Newlands for a rest day which coincided with a huge dump that raised the river 3 meters and flushed us along the lower Franklin for the last two days. The gear we were provided with was excellent (wetsuits, spray jacket, helmet, lilo and dry bag) and it was good to have only a few items for camping. The rafts were amazing - they withstood the sharp rocks without puncturing and despite a capsize, no gear was lost or got wet. One of my daughters freaked out when the raft capsized and she came up underneath the raft, but she grabbed a breath from the air bubble underneath the raft and managed to swim safely out. The guides were extremely knowledgeable about the river despite its changing levels and hazards and took great care which rapids could be safely paddled over. We had to walk around a few and this involved some rock scrambling and climbing, so you need good soles for grip on your wet shoes. The campsites varied depending on the river level and we slept in the open apart from Newlands where the rock overhang sheltered us from the rain. If you needed a tarp or tent, it would need to squeeze in between trees as there were few large open flat areas. We stopped to explore wonderful secrets like waterfalls, caves and canyons along the way. Brett has a dry sense of humour which suits river guiding!

2  Thank John E

Reviewed 25 January 2015

The seven-day journey organised by Water by Nature down the Franklin River must rank among one of the greatest adventure trips in Tasmania, if not in the world: just imagine - being immersed for seven days in this awesome wilderness, with nothing but the water, rocks, forest, sky and sun being of importance. The rafts and equipment were first class, and both guides highly skilled, knowledgeable and worked incredibly hard to make this a most memorable and safe journey. Food was amazing, fresh every day (no dehydrated stuff!!), delicious (imagine garlic scallops as an entree with one of the meals!!) with wine being served with every meal! A truly remarkable, unforgettable journey!

2  Thank Henro09
Reviewed 19 January 2015

I first rafted the Franklin in 1996 – it left an indelible impression with me. Foolishly, it was not until Christmas 2014 that I again journeyed down this stunningly beautiful artefact of nature.

I will be going again in 2015 with Franklin River Rafting. Why? While on the river time stops, life is simple, the river has so many facets and turns, the food so incredible good and Franzi and Elias work so, so incredible hard to provide an experience – beauty of nature, living by a pristine river, exhilarating rapids, fun, at times wacky conversations and gourmet meals that defy belief.

The area is untouched – the campsites have no trace of humankind, no rubbish etc. We came across an alternative group, that unlike Franklin River Rafting which sets up a dedicated cooking area with attention to hygiene and cleanliness to minimise the risk of anyone falling sick, this alternate group left much to be desired – their kitchen was spread over a wide area and they did not have the quality Jackman and McCross bread nor vegetables and gourmet food we enjoyed. They offered us part of their pavlova that they had somehow carried with them - less than appetising and we returned it barely touched.

If you view your life comprising experiences, find nature enticing, and exhilarating, and are robust enough to endure rain at time, being wet while on the river, and swim on beautiful warm days, sleep under tarps and watch the stars light up the sky etc., then touch your soul, re-stock the fire in your belly and raft the Franklin River.

As a researcher by nature, I investigated the alternatives to Franklin River Rafting. One supplier was a large company where I felt I would just be ‘making up their numbers’ in their large business model – they lacked intimacy. A second smaller supplier was ‘pushy’ in getting me on their trip by offering discounts. While I always chase a bargain, I felt this type of business model could mean lots of shortcuts while on the river and hence compromise a unique experience. Moreover, I didn’t want to risk going on such an experience with people who may be less than generous in spirit and ethos.

Franklin River Rafting is a Elias and Franzi, warm and generous people. After many years contemplating it, my wife joined me very nervously and she is so grateful to Elias and Franzi - they are the consummate professionals!

On a ‘gut feel’ cost / benefit analysis, my enjoyment / utility was at least 1.7 times the total cost of the trip, flights to Hobart etc. If you’re a numbers person, this means that next time, I would pay up to 1.7 times this trips’ total cost to ‘break even’ – its cheap given the enjoyment , fulfilment, self satisfaction, confidence etc. one can gain.

I am planning my next trip with 11 months to go, inviting my friends and colleagues to form an energetic, fun and conversational group to spend 10 magic days together.

3  Thank Mitcho189
Reviewed 16 January 2015

To raft the Franklin River is one of life's real bonuses.
Our guides, Elias and Leon shared with us a place that is close to their hearts.
Their expertise and professionalism was clearly evident in everything they did,safety,rafting skills, teamwork, rock and rope work, all the way through to camp management and the preparation of our fantastic meals.
The ease in which they shared their enthusiasm, was refreshing. Nothing was too much trouble.
Thanks Guys for a wonderful trip.
Without hesitation, Franklin River Rafting is my top choice to experience this pristine and
and invigorating environment.
Watch out for the platypus

1  Thank Jil S
Reviewed 11 January 2015

I rafted the Franklin river for 7 days in late December to early January this year with Water By Nature.

It's the only rafting I've done.

It was tough, easy, challenging, beautiful and very, very rewarding. The food continually amazed me; plenty, varied and delicious - all in the middle of a remote river - thank you, Brett for your thoughtful menu and generous cooking.

And thank you to each of the three licensed guides who looked after us with attentive, careful eyes and supported us with each paddle.

I grew to trust the guides and know they had our welfare at the heart of their work.

I feel rich to have been given the opportunity to 'purge' my body and spirit of 'civilization' with Water by Nature and to be back in town with good spirits and energy.

Try it, and, if you do, make sure you try it with Water By Nature,