“Exhilarating, beautiful, gourmet food, excellent river guides”

Franklin River Nature Trail
Ranked #107 of 843 things to do in Tasmania
Reviewed 27 January 2015

My dream was to raft the Franklin before I turned 50, but instead I managed to go with my wife a three adult children . We completed the 7 day full Franklin river tour under the expert guidance of Brett and Klaudia. They got us safely down the river and served up amazing food. We were helped by a nice rain event the night before departure to raise the water levels for the initial upper Franklin and then reached Newlands for a rest day which coincided with a huge dump that raised the river 3 meters and flushed us along the lower Franklin for the last two days. The gear we were provided with was excellent (wetsuits, spray jacket, helmet, lilo and dry bag) and it was good to have only a few items for camping. The rafts were amazing - they withstood the sharp rocks without puncturing and despite a capsize, no gear was lost or got wet. One of my daughters freaked out when the raft capsized and she came up underneath the raft, but she grabbed a breath from the air bubble underneath the raft and managed to swim safely out. The guides were extremely knowledgeable about the river despite its changing levels and hazards and took great care which rapids could be safely paddled over. We had to walk around a few and this involved some rock scrambling and climbing, so you need good soles for grip on your wet shoes. The campsites varied depending on the river level and we slept in the open apart from Newlands where the rock overhang sheltered us from the rain. If you needed a tarp or tent, it would need to squeeze in between trees as there were few large open flat areas. We stopped to explore wonderful secrets like waterfalls, caves and canyons along the way. Brett has a dry sense of humour which suits river guiding!

2  Thank John E
"incredible journey"
"green moss"
"fillet steak"
in 2 reviews
"spent christmas and new year"
"rock scrambling"
"side trips"
"these guys"
"world heritage area"

Reviewed 25 January 2015

The seven-day journey organised by Water by Nature down the Franklin River must rank among one of the greatest adventure trips in Tasmania, if not in the world: just imagine - being immersed for seven days in this awesome wilderness, with nothing but the water, rocks, forest, sky and sun being of importance. The rafts and equipment were first class, and both guides highly skilled, knowledgeable and worked incredibly hard to make this a most memorable and safe journey. Food was amazing, fresh every day (no dehydrated stuff!!), delicious (imagine garlic scallops as an entree with one of the meals!!) with wine being served with every meal! A truly remarkable, unforgettable journey!

2  Thank Henro09
Reviewed 11 January 2015

I rafted the Franklin river for 7 days in late December to early January this year with Water By Nature.

It's the only rafting I've done.

It was tough, easy, challenging, beautiful and very, very rewarding. The food continually amazed me; plenty, varied and delicious - all in the middle of a remote river - thank you, Brett for your thoughtful menu and generous cooking.

And thank you to each of the three licensed guides who looked after us with attentive, careful eyes and supported us with each paddle.

I grew to trust the guides and know they had our welfare at the heart of their work.

I feel rich to have been given the opportunity to 'purge' my body and spirit of 'civilization' with Water by Nature and to be back in town with good spirits and energy.

Try it, and, if you do, make sure you try it with Water By Nature,

M

3  Thank MichaelMobbs
Reviewed 2 January 2015 via mobile

I recently completed a 7 day tour with Brett and his team from Water by Nature. They are passionate about the river, rafting and as it turns out fabulous food!

If you want to see the Franklin, this is the only way to do it and I have to say it is just a delightful place. To see the river quiet or feisty is a privilege.

Tackling the Franklin is no easy thing. It's not just about the rafting. Depending on river levels and how dangerous the rapids are, there will be some hiking, climbing and abseiling by rope and carrying of luggage over boulders and rocks that can be slippery and wet. For me, this was far harder than the rafting. However everyone on the trip supported each each other. For many of my fellow travellers, this aspect was easy as they are regular hikers. At times you will be soaking wet and cold, but it is part of being on the Franklin. Also where else can you drink the water directly from the river as it is so clean!

If 7 days is too long they do shorter tours and the 3 day lower Franklin twould be a great trip for anyone who wanted a less physical but beautiful tour of the river.

Brett provides exceptional food. I can't believe what he can muster up. New Years Eve he got up early cooked a roast and provided several courses with champagne that night. Most nights he cooked several courses including for one rafter, gluten free.

I want to thank Brett and his team for their passion, love of the river and hard work they put into the making the trip so safe and enjoyable.

The franklin river and Tasmanian weather is unpredictable, so every trip will be different. You need to be flexible and just take the week as it surprises you. If the weather is bad there is a slim chance you may not get back on time. It's a rare occurrence but I think it is worth mentioning.

I'd recommend Water by Nature without hesitation.

Kylie