“Amazing Journey down the Franklin River”

Franklin River Nature Trail
Ranked #107 of 843 things to do in Tasmania
Reviewed 25 January 2015

The seven-day journey organised by Water by Nature down the Franklin River must rank among one of the greatest adventure trips in Tasmania, if not in the world: just imagine - being immersed for seven days in this awesome wilderness, with nothing but the water, rocks, forest, sky and sun being of importance. The rafts and equipment were first class, and both guides highly skilled, knowledgeable and worked incredibly hard to make this a most memorable and safe journey. Food was amazing, fresh every day (no dehydrated stuff!!), delicious (imagine garlic scallops as an entree with one of the meals!!) with wine being served with every meal! A truly remarkable, unforgettable journey!

2  Thank Henro09
"incredible journey"
"green moss"
"fillet steak"
in 2 reviews
"spent christmas and new year"
"rock scrambling"
"side trips"
"these guys"
"world heritage area"

Reviewed 11 January 2015

I rafted the Franklin river for 7 days in late December to early January this year with Water By Nature.

It's the only rafting I've done.

It was tough, easy, challenging, beautiful and very, very rewarding. The food continually amazed me; plenty, varied and delicious - all in the middle of a remote river - thank you, Brett for your thoughtful menu and generous cooking.

And thank you to each of the three licensed guides who looked after us with attentive, careful eyes and supported us with each paddle.

I grew to trust the guides and know they had our welfare at the heart of their work.

I feel rich to have been given the opportunity to 'purge' my body and spirit of 'civilization' with Water by Nature and to be back in town with good spirits and energy.

Try it, and, if you do, make sure you try it with Water By Nature,

M

3  Thank MichaelMobbs
Reviewed 2 January 2015 via mobile

I recently completed a 7 day tour with Brett and his team from Water by Nature. They are passionate about the river, rafting and as it turns out fabulous food!

If you want to see the Franklin, this is the only way to do it and I have to say it is just a delightful place. To see the river quiet or feisty is a privilege.

Tackling the Franklin is no easy thing. It's not just about the rafting. Depending on river levels and how dangerous the rapids are, there will be some hiking, climbing and abseiling by rope and carrying of luggage over boulders and rocks that can be slippery and wet. For me, this was far harder than the rafting. However everyone on the trip supported each each other. For many of my fellow travellers, this aspect was easy as they are regular hikers. At times you will be soaking wet and cold, but it is part of being on the Franklin. Also where else can you drink the water directly from the river as it is so clean!

If 7 days is too long they do shorter tours and the 3 day lower Franklin twould be a great trip for anyone who wanted a less physical but beautiful tour of the river.

Brett provides exceptional food. I can't believe what he can muster up. New Years Eve he got up early cooked a roast and provided several courses with champagne that night. Most nights he cooked several courses including for one rafter, gluten free.

I want to thank Brett and his team for their passion, love of the river and hard work they put into the making the trip so safe and enjoyable.

The franklin river and Tasmanian weather is unpredictable, so every trip will be different. You need to be flexible and just take the week as it surprises you. If the weather is bad there is a slim chance you may not get back on time. It's a rare occurrence but I think it is worth mentioning.

I'd recommend Water by Nature without hesitation.

Kylie

1  Thank archielovesveronica
Reviewed 24 November 2014

Well that's in the top 10 things of my life I have done and unlikely to get kicked out.
A 40th birthday present for my gorgeous girlfriend Alexandra.
Breath taking beauty, adrenalin, friendship, just jaw dropping to share.
Many thanks to our guides Brett and Klaudia who had every aspect covered.
Food was amazing given all our supplied for 7 days had to be taken with us!
Brett's respect for the river and our safety was paramount.
Any adventure such as this has a dangerous element, Brett's cautious approach kept us all safe and sound to return to our loved ones with stories of beauty and excitement.
We thank also our adventurous fellow travellers Bob and Anne in their 60's for sharing our raft.

1  Thank Mark N
See more reviews
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Loved this trip. Amazing place. Well organised, catered, uber professional. My son (17) and I did this as our first big bush/wild-country adventure together and great trip for building stronger bonds and relationships. My son took some convincing to go btw, but ended up being totally blown away by the wild majesty and grandeur and adventure of the trip (as I had hoped he would) . Water By Nature ('WBN') and guides Brett and Klaudia were great across the board, not least for their great sense of how to engage the different characters, backgrounds and ages on the trip. While they exuded an easy professional vibe and overlay, affording us plenty of opportunity for swimming, exploring, and as much extra river activity as you fancied, it was evident (even more I had expected) that the trip was clearly meticulously planned and all contingencies prepared for. The guides' river navigation, raft movements and negotiation of big rapids and obstacles made it all look easy (ish...). Some parts of the river and great gorge look (through wide bulging eyes...) initially unpassable, yet our passage through paddling, lining or portaging made magic happen. 'Wallah!' what were we worried about.? I developed a growing awareness that the trip could have been much different, without really professional, experienced and mature guides - I think I heard Brett say he had done more than 200+ descents and had seen the river in every state and level imaginable. Mind boggling stuff to hear him casually point out a mark up a cliff wall and say, "yeh the water was up to there, and we had to do such and such". The wilderness and wild aspects of the trip were continually mind-boggling - but these were topped off several times a day by almost unbelievably restaurant ( I kid you not) quality food and culinary treats and the odd wine and beer if you fancied, as you tried to take in the river and the surrounds from some great vantage point on a beach or a rock overlooking the river. Off the river at both ends: the pre-briefing, link and pick up in Hobart and trip back out from the river - in our case flying out from the lower Gordon - was great fun, well oiled, low hassle and otherwise flawless. Likewise WBN/Brett's offer and ongoing post-trip intel, advice - and his transport help - with us getting around to see the sights in Hobart after the trip for the next couple of days, including a trip to MONA. Was hard to leave Tassie with this kind of scenery and friendliness. - Al Sweetman

1  Thank Al S