“Amazing Journey down the Franklin River”

Franklin River Nature Trail
Hobart, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Amazing Journey down the Franklin River”
Reviewed 25 January 2015

The seven-day journey organised by Water by Nature down the Franklin River must rank among one of the greatest adventure trips in Tasmania, if not in the world: just imagine - being immersed for seven days in this awesome wilderness, with nothing but the water, rocks, forest, sky and sun being of importance. The rafts and equipment were first class, and both guides highly skilled, knowledgeable and worked incredibly hard to make this a most memorable and safe journey. Food was amazing, fresh every day (no dehydrated stuff!!), delicious (imagine garlic scallops as an entree with one of the meals!!) with wine being served with every meal! A truly remarkable, unforgettable journey!

Visited January 2015
2 Thank Henro09

Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Touch your soul, lift your spirits and travel the Franklin River with Franzi and Elias of Franklin River Rafting”
Reviewed 19 January 2015

I first rafted the Franklin in 1996 – it left an indelible impression with me. Foolishly, it was not until Christmas 2014 that I again journeyed down this stunningly beautiful artefact of nature.

I will be going again in 2015 with Franklin River Rafting. Why? While on the river time stops, life is simple, the river has so many facets and turns, the food so incredible good and Franzi and Elias work so, so incredible hard to provide an experience – beauty of nature, living by a pristine river, exhilarating rapids, fun, at times wacky conversations and gourmet meals that defy belief.

The area is untouched – the campsites have no trace of humankind, no rubbish etc. We came across an alternative group, that unlike Franklin River Rafting which sets up a dedicated cooking area with attention to hygiene and cleanliness to minimise the risk of anyone falling sick, this alternate group left much to be desired – their kitchen was spread over a wide area and they did not have the quality Jackman and McCross bread nor vegetables and gourmet food we enjoyed. They offered us part of their pavlova that they had somehow carried with them - less than appetising and we returned it barely touched.

If you view your life comprising experiences, find nature enticing, and exhilarating, and are robust enough to endure rain at time, being wet while on the river, and swim on beautiful warm days, sleep under tarps and watch the stars light up the sky etc., then touch your soul, re-stock the fire in your belly and raft the Franklin River.

As a researcher by nature, I investigated the alternatives to Franklin River Rafting. One supplier was a large company where I felt I would just be ‘making up their numbers’ in their large business model – they lacked intimacy. A second smaller supplier was ‘pushy’ in getting me on their trip by offering discounts. While I always chase a bargain, I felt this type of business model could mean lots of shortcuts while on the river and hence compromise a unique experience. Moreover, I didn’t want to risk going on such an experience with people who may be less than generous in spirit and ethos.

Franklin River Rafting is a Elias and Franzi, warm and generous people. After many years contemplating it, my wife joined me very nervously and she is so grateful to Elias and Franzi - they are the consummate professionals!

On a ‘gut feel’ cost / benefit analysis, my enjoyment / utility was at least 1.7 times the total cost of the trip, flights to Hobart etc. If you’re a numbers person, this means that next time, I would pay up to 1.7 times this trips’ total cost to ‘break even’ – its cheap given the enjoyment , fulfilment, self satisfaction, confidence etc. one can gain.

I am planning my next trip with 11 months to go, inviting my friends and colleagues to form an energetic, fun and conversational group to spend 10 magic days together.

3 Thank Mitcho189
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Franklin River Rafting December 25th to November 2nd 2014. Jil P”
Reviewed 16 January 2015

To raft the Franklin River is one of life's real bonuses.
Our guides, Elias and Leon shared with us a place that is close to their hearts.
Their expertise and professionalism was clearly evident in everything they did,safety,rafting skills, teamwork, rock and rope work, all the way through to camp management and the preparation of our fantastic meals.
The ease in which they shared their enthusiasm, was refreshing. Nothing was too much trouble.
Thanks Guys for a wonderful trip.
Without hesitation, Franklin River Rafting is my top choice to experience this pristine and
and invigorating environment.
Watch out for the platypus

1 Thank Jil S
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Rafting with Water By Nature”
Reviewed 11 January 2015

I rafted the Franklin river for 7 days in late December to early January this year with Water By Nature.

It's the only rafting I've done.

It was tough, easy, challenging, beautiful and very, very rewarding. The food continually amazed me; plenty, varied and delicious - all in the middle of a remote river - thank you, Brett for your thoughtful menu and generous cooking.

And thank you to each of the three licensed guides who looked after us with attentive, careful eyes and supported us with each paddle.

I grew to trust the guides and know they had our welfare at the heart of their work.

I feel rich to have been given the opportunity to 'purge' my body and spirit of 'civilization' with Water by Nature and to be back in town with good spirits and energy.

Try it, and, if you do, make sure you try it with Water By Nature,

M

Visited January 2015
3 Thank MichaelMobbs
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Franklin River Rafting World Class Experience”
Reviewed 10 January 2015

This was a true wilderness adventure with expert guides that shared their absolute passion for a very special place. Franzi and Adrian took us safely down the rapids, educating us on the river and the surroundings. On and off the river, nothing was too much trouble and we enjoyed brilliant stories and laughter in camp with them too. Despite being so remote we ate like kings and queens and each day couldn't believe the quality of the meals, cooked with pride. Drinking from the river, sleeping under the stars, stunning scenery and new friends made for a very special ten days.

Before the trip Elias answered any questions really quickly and afterwards shared fantastic photos and an epic video of amazing quality.

1 Thank Shelley M