“"Water by Nature rafting"”

Franklin River Nature Trail
Ranked #103 of 689 things to do in Tasmania
Sydney
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“"Water by Nature rafting"”
Reviewed 2 January 2015 via mobile

I recently completed a 7 day tour with Brett and his team from Water by Nature. They are passionate about the river, rafting and as it turns out fabulous food!

If you want to see the Franklin, this is the only way to do it and I have to say it is just a delightful place. To see the river quiet or feisty is a privilege.

Tackling the Franklin is no easy thing. It's not just about the rafting. Depending on river levels and how dangerous the rapids are, there will be some hiking, climbing and abseiling by rope and carrying of luggage over boulders and rocks that can be slippery and wet. For me, this was far harder than the rafting. However everyone on the trip supported each each other. For many of my fellow travellers, this aspect was easy as they are regular hikers. At times you will be soaking wet and cold, but it is part of being on the Franklin. Also where else can you drink the water directly from the river as it is so clean!

If 7 days is too long they do shorter tours and the 3 day lower Franklin twould be a great trip for anyone who wanted a less physical but beautiful tour of the river.

Brett provides exceptional food. I can't believe what he can muster up. New Years Eve he got up early cooked a roast and provided several courses with champagne that night. Most nights he cooked several courses including for one rafter, gluten free.

I want to thank Brett and his team for their passion, love of the river and hard work they put into the making the trip so safe and enjoyable.

The franklin river and Tasmanian weather is unpredictable, so every trip will be different. You need to be flexible and just take the week as it surprises you. If the weather is bad there is a slim chance you may not get back on time. It's a rare occurrence but I think it is worth mentioning.

I'd recommend Water by Nature without hesitation.

Kylie

1 Thank archielovesveronica

Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Jon P Franklin River Rafting 25 Nov - 2 Dec 2014”
Reviewed 2 January 2015

A truly great trip and memorable experience with big thanks to Elias and Leon of Franklin River Rafting for consummate organisation, attention to safety and detail and highly professional guidance. I concur with Bill H's comments posted separately covering the same trek.

If you are considering rafting the Franklin then you should. If you are looking for a top outfit to go with, choose Franklin River Rafting. And if you love nature you must do it. A trip of a lifetime.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank jon p
australia
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 201 helpful votes
“awesome trip with franklin river rafting”
Reviewed 28 December 2014

i have recently returned from a 10 day trip down the Franklin river with Franklin River Rafting, and would return again in a heartbeat.

The river and surrounds are staggeringly beautiful...lots of rafting, and opportunities to walk to frenchmans cap, waterfalls, rock island bend, Kuti Kina cave, swim etc. I really feel we had a dream run -good water levels, great weather for the west coast. It wasn't all paddling...there was also plenty of time to sit and drift watching riverbanks, sea eagles, platypus etc. It is the ideal, in fact just about the only way to see the river...road and bushwalking access is pretty much non existent.

I am in my late 40s, had never rafted previously, and would class myself as having medium fitness, but found the level of effort required very manageable.

The guides from FRR (Adrian and Alayne) were fantastic. You got the feeling that you were there to have the best time, but the same time they were incredibly safety conscious in their decisions of when to run rapids or line the boats through while we walked around on the rocks /portage tracks.

I must admit I had been a bit wary of getting through /around some of the bigger rapids with the more evil sounding names (the churn, thunderbox, cauldron etc) but it all worked really well. No flips, wraps..just exhilaration. I think this was really due to the combination of guide experience (over 55 trips between them), intimate knowledge of the river, common sense and water levels.

Although I am biased and would want to go with Alaynne and Adrian as guides if/when I went again, I feel pretty confident that the owners Elias and Franzi (who regularly guide, so really know whats need on the river and in camp) as well as other guides would also be excellent.

FRR generally has a really professional approach, high quality gear and big on customer service. I had several questions for Elias prior to going and received prompt (and sensible) answers.

Group size was also good. We had 5 people and 2 guides -a good number which increased our options with camping sites, flexibility with timing etc.

So, in summary, if you are thinking about rafting the Franklin, just go! And after my personal experience I would book again with Franklin River Rafting with no reservations.

I am happy to email people if more specific information required.

Visited December 2014
4 Thank squeezing
Melbourne, Australia
“Rafting Nov23rd 2014”
Reviewed 26 December 2014

One of the best trips I've ever taken. An incredible experience I shall never forget. The Guides were very professional and kept us safe and happy the whole trip, no detail was left neglected. Can't recommend these guys highly enough.

Visited November 2014
1 Thank Philthy1980
Perth, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bill H Franklin River Rafting 25th Nov to 2 Dec”
Reviewed 24 December 2014

What an amazing experience to travel through this pristine wilderness area. Our experience with FRR was exceptional and made all the better by the attention to detail and care that Elias and Leon put into looking after our party of eight. We had great river levels and wonderful weather which added to the whole experience. The fact that our guides had a real feeling for the area and a sense of pride in ensuring that the area always remained as we found it reflects on the quality of these to young guys. Having a relaxed approach to everything they did but also a high level of respect for the hazards that fast flowing river can present we always new we were in safe hands. The catering for a camp environment was first class. This was a really great experience and has added to the great experiences that the group had previously had. I will always put Elias and his operation as number 1 on my recommendation list.

Visited November 2014