“Water by Nature and The Mighty Franklin”

Franklin River Nature Trail
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I chose this company because of the wealth of experience by trip leader Brett. I had zero prior experience of white water rafting and was bringing along my 16 year old daughter so wanted a reputable, capable team. After his decades of travelling the length of the Franklin River Brett still shows a very healthy respect for this wild river, never under estimating and always expecting the unexpected. With his calm, quiet , lay back style I felt reassured that what could be controlled in this wild environment was, even though at times the ride was a literally wild, white knuckle experience, which by the way was exactly what I was after. Off the river my belly was constantly filled with the most amazing food conjured up by Brett and Klaudia on two small gas cookers. I was fascinated by what came out of the kitchen each night - garlic prawns, fillet steak, it never ceased to amaze me. At night I was comfortable and warm. The Franklin is unbelievably beautiful - this trip will remain one of the most memorable experiences of my life.

There are newer reviews for Franklin River Nature Trail

Reviewed 31 January 2014

Just do it. Franklin river is truely amazing and Brett,Claudia,Jim and Johno are the best of the best .A rafting trip you won't forget. My son and I did the 7day on Jan 4 - 11 the weather was cold and rainy for 2 days made the rapids exciting then beautiful sunshine wonderful time .Food was fantastic all great cooks.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

The seven day full river Franklin Rafting trip with “Water by Nature” is an adventurous way to explore this remote area. Thanks to Brett and Klaudia you can’t get rid of the feeling that you stay in a five star hotel under the open sky. They offer a variety of good meals and snacks. The Franklin River changes its face during the trip a lot, from a raging torrent to a calm river. Nevertheless there are always things to do, like exploring caves or nearby waterfalls. From the sixth day on we could raft in the Inflatable Kayak which meant a lot of fun! Our camps were located next to the river and sleeping under the stars is an unforgettable experience. The beauty of the landscape is breathtaking all the way down the river. The good weather (around 30 degrees every day) allowed us to fly out by seaplane a nice way to farewell the Franklin. For the first time you realise how remote the area really is. To round off the trip the whole group met for dinner in a local restaurant in Hobart. I highly recommend the trip, it’s guaranteed that you’ll leave with unforgettable memories.

2  Thank uf_u_dervo
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We did the 5 day rafting trip down the Franklin River with Water by Nature leaving Hobart on 1 Janaury 2014. Unseasonally the weather turned cold and conditions were more like what would be experienced in October, however, we had come prepared with all the right gear. It is an awesome experience which is very physical, challenging, exilarating, scary at times and provides much adrenalin. Our guides Robin and Morgan where extremely experienced and knew every twist and turn the river took. We were also given local knowledge and history about the wilderness, the Franklin and the Gordon Rivers. We experienced a rapidly rising river as we had rain overnight during out stay. This made for good rafting conditions but poor overnight conditions, however, manage we did. The overnight camping on the side of the river is an amazing experience. The first night we stayed on a rock lodge under a rock overhang, the second night on a crushed rock island which jutted into the river where we experienced a wild and woolly night and the third night we stayed at the very beautiful St Johns Falls. On the final morning we were met by the yacht Stormbreaker which sailed us down the Gordon River into Macquarie Harbour and back to Strachan. All meals were provided on the trip and were excellent, tasty, nutricous and varied. All the gear is provided but take plenty of thermals, a warm sleeping bag and warm clothing for night time. It was definitely a wow experience!

Reviewed 27 January 2014

My partner and I started 2014 with Franklin River Rafting on their epic 10day white water rafting trip.
Firstly Franzi and Elias(our guides and the owners of Franklin River rafting) are the two of the most easy going, inspiring , professional people I have ever met and we are so incredibly privileged to have spent time with them along with the amazing friendship we formed with our fellow rafters.

This trip was recommended to us from friends who did the 7 day trip and they said it was an absolute must and there only regret was that they did not do the extra 3 days and do the full 10 day trip.

The river is spectacular and rich with history which our guides are only to happy talk about. The water is so clean you can drink it straight from the river and the scenery leaves you not knowing where to point the camera.

The Rapids are so much fun, as is sitting in the camp of a night swapping stories and eating amazing food (you eat very, very well)
Being able to leave the rat race behind and be totally engrossed in nature is so refreshing!!

There is absolutely nothing I can fault on this trip (being 100% truth full) having been all over the world this was the best value for money trip I have ever done. And if you’re contemplating doing this trip, please, please give Franklin River rafting a call because I assure you will not be disappointed.

Matt