“wild bliss on the Franklin.”

Franklin River Nature Trail
Ranked #107 of 699 things to do in Tasmania
Reviewed 20 January 2014

whoah, wow, its been a little while now since i went down "the Ditch" (lol) with water by nature and i'm still revelling in delightful flashbacks of ancient greens, rush and bubble and tumble and wild escape. A 7 day escape was a perfect length of trip, long enough to truly feel like i had been somewhere, gone somewhere. Very satisfying. Brett and Claudia were reassuring, and entertaining guides. Good fun, good food,good banter, a memorable journey on an amazing river. totally recommended. many thanks!

1  Thank david j

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I have just had the chance to view my free dvd of our 10 day Franklin River rafting adventure a small group of us did to bring in the 2014 year, and have been reminded of what a remarkable part of Australia it is! And whilst the views are the same no matter who you go with, it is who you go with that will impact on how much you enjoy them. Leon and Alayne from Franklin River Rafting provided 5 star guiding service both on and off the water. It was a gourmet tour catering to 1 vegan with extra dietary requirements, 3 vegetarians and 3 omnivores without skipping a beat, we wanted for nothing...hmmm, a little more sunshine perhaps. We bumped into Elias and Franzi on the way down and could see that their group was having almost as much fun as ours ;). If you’re reading these reviews I would recommend that you just book in with Franklin River Rafting, they have left nothing to chance to ensure your safety and enjoyment on your river adventure.

1  Thank Lisa E
Reviewed 19 January 2014

A fantastic experience! Unlike anything I have done before, and I've been around long enough to have done a few things in my life! Franzi and Elias make a terrific duo; they are fun to be with, passionate about what they do and the very beautiful and pristine environment in which they do it, respectful of the rapids and conservative in their approach to guiding us through them safely. I also loved their relaxed yet very organised approach to each day's adventure, and the delicious and wholesome meals we enjoyed throughout the trip.
All in all it was a great adventure, and one for anyone fit and well to enjoy an outdoor experience.
One last thing, the scenery changes between the upper and lower stretches of the river so I would definitely recommend the 10 day trip if you can manage it - otherwise you'll miss out on something!
Diane Sak

Reviewed 16 January 2014

I have just returned from a rafting trip on the Franklin River for 4/5 days from the 10th January. I have no hesitation in raving about the experience. I wasn't really sure what to expect, having only done day rafting before in other countries. Our guides were Jim and Jono who were a great team. They could read the river and obviously loved their work! I also stupidly left my camera at a lunch spot and they unhesitatingly returned upriver to retrieve it. The biggest surprise of all was the food. They were excellent cooks and I returned 2 kilos heavier; not what I expected. The whole experience will be logged as one of the best holidays I've had. Though reasonable fitness is essential and my quads have only just recovered from the descent from the MCall track to the river (where we started). Finally, the journey to the river from Hobart (via Queenstown) and the return on the Stormbreaker via Strahan was also pretty fab. The only downside was a mix up/delay with retrieving our bags at the end - which seemed to be a communication problem between Water By Nature and the bus company who transported us...but really. I am already planning on returning in a year or 2 with my now 8 year old daughter.

1  Thank Sarah H
Reviewed 11 January 2014

It was a privilege to have the support of Franklin River Rafting to fulfil my 30 year dream of rafting the Franklin River. Our guides, Elias and Adrian, are passionate ambassadors for the South-West wilderness area. Their guiding expertise inspired complete confidence (I'm 53 years old and a novice rafter), with safety their highest priority. Portages were completed efficiently and safely; our participation was at a level with which we were comfortable. This, combined with Elias and Adrian's humour and culinary prowess (amazing meals), resulted in an unforgettable 10 day journey through magnificent rainforest on an ever-changing river. It rained most days but this (I believe), enhanced the atmosphere and colours of the river. The campsites are in beautiful locations and sleeping under a tarp can become addictive (fresh air, stars). I had intended taking a tent and glad I didn't. The equipment list recommended by Franklin River Rafting is spot on; no extras required. The cold is managed with good quality merino thermals, a down jacket and sleeping bag...and an expectation that South-West Tassie weather is fickle with potential rapid changes at any time of the year.
Franzi and Elias, the owner/operators of Franklin River Rafting are highly professional and blend this with an ability to meet the the individual needs of their customers.

1  Thank Karen C