“wild bliss on the Franklin.”

Franklin River Nature Trail
Reviewed 20 January 2014

whoah, wow, its been a little while now since i went down "the Ditch" (lol) with water by nature and i'm still revelling in delightful flashbacks of ancient greens, rush and bubble and tumble and wild escape. A 7 day escape was a perfect length of trip, long enough to truly feel like i had been somewhere, gone somewhere. Very satisfying. Brett and Claudia were reassuring, and entertaining guides. Good fun, good food,good banter, a memorable journey on an amazing river. totally recommended. many thanks!

1  Thank david j
"incredible journey"
"green moss"
"fillet steak"
in 2 reviews
"spent christmas and new year"
"rock scrambling"
in 19 reviews
"rafts"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 16 January 2014

I have just returned from a rafting trip on the Franklin River for 4/5 days from the 10th January. I have no hesitation in raving about the experience. I wasn't really sure what to expect, having only done day rafting before in other countries. Our guides were Jim and Jono who were a great team. They could read the river and obviously loved their work! I also stupidly left my camera at a lunch spot and they unhesitatingly returned upriver to retrieve it. The biggest surprise of all was the food. They were excellent cooks and I returned 2 kilos heavier; not what I expected. The whole experience will be logged as one of the best holidays I've had. Though reasonable fitness is essential and my quads have only just recovered from the descent from the MCall track to the river (where we started). Finally, the journey to the river from Hobart (via Queenstown) and the return on the Stormbreaker via Strahan was also pretty fab. The only downside was a mix up/delay with retrieving our bags at the end - which seemed to be a communication problem between Water By Nature and the bus company who transported us...but really. I am already planning on returning in a year or 2 with my now 8 year old daughter.

1  Thank Sarah H
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Have just spent Christmas and New Year on a 7 day Franklin River trip with Brett and Claudia from Water By Nature. Without doubt an absolutely fabulous trip. Both Brett and Claudia worked tirelessly to ensure both our safety and comfort. These two wonderful people are not just great guides but know a thing or two about bush cooking. What delights they produced had to be seen to be believed.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

I just completed the 7 day Upper Franklin River expedition with a couple of friends journeying with Brett Fernon's Water by Nature Tasmania.

This is the second time I have rafted the river - see my review from January 2013 below. On both occasions, I went with Water by Nature and I would do it all again. On both my expeditions with Water by Nature, Brett ensured that our guides were none other than the very best.

With Jim and Rob, we navigated the river with competence, in safety and with much mirth. The portages were handled carefully and without drama. Jim has an adventure company in Scotland known as Ace Adventures and Rob has represented Australia in world championships in white water rafting. So we were in good hands!

Jim constantly prepared great meals and took care to ensure that those of us with sensitive stomachs were nourished thoughtfully.

The trek to Frenchmans Cap and back was a real privilege afforded to us in good weather. Unlike Ben C, I reached the first peak alone, but that in itself was a treat enough.

I bought 5.10 Canyoneers and can't recommend them highly enough. They made all the difference to my enjoyment of the river. For those of you in NSW, you can buy them from Summit Gear in Katoomba.

If you are thinking of rafting the Franklin, check out Brett's website and give him a call. Known as the Godfather of the River, he's a lovely guy and is the most experienced man on the river.

Hope this helps,
Peter

1  Thank Peter B
See more reviews
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I've recently returned to Melbourne after one of the best trips I've ever had. Two friends and I rafted the upper Franklin River with Water by Nature - I'd highly recommend Water by Nature for this trip. Our guides, Jim C. and Rob J. were knowledgable, friendly and, most importantly, extraordinarily competent at navigating the exhilarating and, at times, nail biting environment (Jim, Rob - thanks!).

We were a small and perhaps underpowered crew but were able to run the amazing rapids with confidence. The River itself is a gorgeous place - rough, rugged and untouched (nb: and you keep it that way - be prepared to primitive ablutions and taking everything out with you. I mean everything...)

The excitement of the rapids and the truly awesome environment as well as being completely removed from the rest of the world combines to create a magnificent trip.

The "walk" up to Frenchman's Cap on the trip was a highlight for me. If you take this trip be aware that if you're not used to walking, this is relatively strenuous side trip.

Technical portages were difficult, challenging and in the end fun. Coming out of the boat a couple of times along the way added a certain piquancy to the experience! Be prepared for exhaustion, fear, thrills and the unassailable enjoyment of being in one of the most beautiful parts of the world and completing a challenging series of activities.

Make sure you follow the gear recommendations - shoes are really important! Go with the Dunlop Volleys or the 5.10 Canyoneers. You don't want to slip of the Slimy Rocks of Doom into the Raging Torrent of Death....

Again, I would highly recommend Brett and the Water by Nature team. If you're going to take a ride along the ditch, get in touch with them.

Cheers