“"Water By Nature": Fabulous”

Franklin River Nature Trail
Ranked #107 of 737 things to do in Tasmania
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I have just returned from a rafting trip on the Franklin River for 4/5 days from the 10th January. I have no hesitation in raving about the experience. I wasn't really sure what to expect, having only done day rafting before in other countries. Our guides were Jim and Jono who were a great team. They could read the river and obviously loved their work! I also stupidly left my camera at a lunch spot and they unhesitatingly returned upriver to retrieve it. The biggest surprise of all was the food. They were excellent cooks and I returned 2 kilos heavier; not what I expected. The whole experience will be logged as one of the best holidays I've had. Though reasonable fitness is essential and my quads have only just recovered from the descent from the MCall track to the river (where we started). Finally, the journey to the river from Hobart (via Queenstown) and the return on the Stormbreaker via Strahan was also pretty fab. The only downside was a mix up/delay with retrieving our bags at the end - which seemed to be a communication problem between Water By Nature and the bus company who transported us...but really. I am already planning on returning in a year or 2 with my now 8 year old daughter.

1  Thank Sarah H
"fillet steak"
"lead guide"
"bigger rapids"
in 2 reviews
"spent christmas and new year"
"flip side"

Reviewed 11 January 2014

It was a privilege to have the support of Franklin River Rafting to fulfil my 30 year dream of rafting the Franklin River. Our guides, Elias and Adrian, are passionate ambassadors for the South-West wilderness area. Their guiding expertise inspired complete confidence (I'm 53 years old and a novice rafter), with safety their highest priority. Portages were completed efficiently and safely; our participation was at a level with which we were comfortable. This, combined with Elias and Adrian's humour and culinary prowess (amazing meals), resulted in an unforgettable 10 day journey through magnificent rainforest on an ever-changing river. It rained most days but this (I believe), enhanced the atmosphere and colours of the river. The campsites are in beautiful locations and sleeping under a tarp can become addictive (fresh air, stars). I had intended taking a tent and glad I didn't. The equipment list recommended by Franklin River Rafting is spot on; no extras required. The cold is managed with good quality merino thermals, a down jacket and sleeping bag...and an expectation that South-West Tassie weather is fickle with potential rapid changes at any time of the year.
Franzi and Elias, the owner/operators of Franklin River Rafting are highly professional and blend this with an ability to meet the the individual needs of their customers.

1  Thank Karen C
Reviewed 9 January 2014

When I signed on with Franklin River Rafting my expectation was to simply spend 10 days rafting one of the worlds iconic rivers. However what Elias and his team delivered was much much more.
Elias, Adrian, Mark and Corey collectively guided me through an amazing 10 day Wilderness experience. The Franklin River is the star of this experience, but the passion, knowledge and experience of Elias and his team made the the trip much more meaningful and enjoyable. Their passion for the Franklin and what they do shines through in every aspect of the trip. The equipment is of the highest quality, the food outstanding, their bush, river skills and decision makings are of the highest level. Through the entire journey Elias and his team were constantly thinking of how they could make the trip more memorable for their customers and nothing is left to chance. Franklin River Rafting promised a lot and delivered much much more.

1  Thank wcpretail
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Have just spent Christmas and New Year on a 7 day Franklin River trip with Brett and Claudia from Water By Nature. Without doubt an absolutely fabulous trip. Both Brett and Claudia worked tirelessly to ensure both our safety and comfort. These two wonderful people are not just great guides but know a thing or two about bush cooking. What delights they produced had to be seen to be believed.

See more reviews
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I just completed the 7 day Upper Franklin River expedition with a couple of friends journeying with Brett Fernon's Water by Nature Tasmania.

This is the second time I have rafted the river - see my review from January 2013 below. On both occasions, I went with Water by Nature and I would do it all again. On both my expeditions with Water by Nature, Brett ensured that our guides were none other than the very best.

With Jim and Rob, we navigated the river with competence, in safety and with much mirth. The portages were handled carefully and without drama. Jim has an adventure company in Scotland known as Ace Adventures and Rob has represented Australia in world championships in white water rafting. So we were in good hands!

Jim constantly prepared great meals and took care to ensure that those of us with sensitive stomachs were nourished thoughtfully.

The trek to Frenchmans Cap and back was a real privilege afforded to us in good weather. Unlike Ben C, I reached the first peak alone, but that in itself was a treat enough.

I bought 5.10 Canyoneers and can't recommend them highly enough. They made all the difference to my enjoyment of the river. For those of you in NSW, you can buy them from Summit Gear in Katoomba.

If you are thinking of rafting the Franklin, check out Brett's website and give him a call. Known as the Godfather of the River, he's a lovely guy and is the most experienced man on the river.

Hope this helps,