“"Water By Nature" is a top experience with superb guides”

Franklin River Nature Trail
Noosa, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“"Water By Nature" is a top experience with superb guides”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Have just spent Christmas and New Year on a 7 day Franklin River trip with Brett and Claudia from Water By Nature. Without doubt an absolutely fabulous trip. Both Brett and Claudia worked tirelessly to ensure both our safety and comfort. These two wonderful people are not just great guides but know a thing or two about bush cooking. What delights they produced had to be seen to be believed.

Visited January 2014

Sydney, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Water by Nature - Upper Franklin Expedition”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I just completed the 7 day Upper Franklin River expedition with a couple of friends journeying with Brett Fernon's Water by Nature Tasmania.

This is the second time I have rafted the river - see my review from January 2013 below. On both occasions, I went with Water by Nature and I would do it all again. On both my expeditions with Water by Nature, Brett ensured that our guides were none other than the very best.

With Jim and Rob, we navigated the river with competence, in safety and with much mirth. The portages were handled carefully and without drama. Jim has an adventure company in Scotland known as Ace Adventures and Rob has represented Australia in world championships in white water rafting. So we were in good hands!

Jim constantly prepared great meals and took care to ensure that those of us with sensitive stomachs were nourished thoughtfully.

The trek to Frenchmans Cap and back was a real privilege afforded to us in good weather. Unlike Ben C, I reached the first peak alone, but that in itself was a treat enough.

I bought 5.10 Canyoneers and can't recommend them highly enough. They made all the difference to my enjoyment of the river. For those of you in NSW, you can buy them from Summit Gear in Katoomba.

If you are thinking of rafting the Franklin, check out Brett's website and give him a call. Known as the Godfather of the River, he's a lovely guy and is the most experienced man on the river.

Hope this helps,
Peter

1 Thank Peter B
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Fantastic Upper Franklin rafting with Water by Nature”
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

I've recently returned to Melbourne after one of the best trips I've ever had. Two friends and I rafted the upper Franklin River with Water by Nature - I'd highly recommend Water by Nature for this trip. Our guides, Jim C. and Rob J. were knowledgable, friendly and, most importantly, extraordinarily competent at navigating the exhilarating and, at times, nail biting environment (Jim, Rob - thanks!).

We were a small and perhaps underpowered crew but were able to run the amazing rapids with confidence. The River itself is a gorgeous place - rough, rugged and untouched (nb: and you keep it that way - be prepared to primitive ablutions and taking everything out with you. I mean everything...)

The excitement of the rapids and the truly awesome environment as well as being completely removed from the rest of the world combines to create a magnificent trip.

The "walk" up to Frenchman's Cap on the trip was a highlight for me. If you take this trip be aware that if you're not used to walking, this is relatively strenuous side trip.

Technical portages were difficult, challenging and in the end fun. Coming out of the boat a couple of times along the way added a certain piquancy to the experience! Be prepared for exhaustion, fear, thrills and the unassailable enjoyment of being in one of the most beautiful parts of the world and completing a challenging series of activities.

Make sure you follow the gear recommendations - shoes are really important! Go with the Dunlop Volleys or the 5.10 Canyoneers. You don't want to slip of the Slimy Rocks of Doom into the Raging Torrent of Death....

Again, I would highly recommend Brett and the Water by Nature team. If you're going to take a ride along the ditch, get in touch with them.

Cheers
B

6 Thank Ben C
Muswellbrook, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“The mighty Franklin River guided by the 'Water By Nature' Team.”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Exploring the mighty Franklin River was an incredible and unforgettable experience with the Water By Nature Team – led by Jim Davis and Rob Jimmieson and I wish I was still out there lost in all its beauty. Jim and Rob shared their knowledge and love of the river with us through-out our entire journey.

Also, Jim’s culinary skills completely blew me away as every meal was prepared with the freshest of local produce - herbs and spices too! I have fallen in love with the Franklin and will be forever grateful for the experiences and challenges that it offered me.

3 Thank KC0llins13
Sydney, Australia
1,418 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2,366 helpful votes
“Low key walk...mighty impact by a stunning river.”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

There are exotic ways to experience the mighty Franklin. Helicopter,light plane,canoe and white- water rafting. But its only on foot that you appreciate fully the value of this wonderland.
Unlike longer hikes or walks that resemble an assault on the Amazon,this walk is an easy,short hop of a nature-trail. Its a great introduction to the famous Franklin River,at the heart of conservation battles in 1982-3,that changed attitudes of governments and people towards the sensitive environment.
We found the trail easy,more like a walk- in- the- park,as we wound our way through stunning,cool-temperate rainforest and came close to Surprise river. Love that name,don't you?
This is some of the wildest country in Tasmania and downstream the Franklin descends some amazing ravines. Use every toilet break available as this is part of bush folklore. There is one where the Lyell highway crosses the river. The nature trail leads off the south side of the road to form a loop from which its great to sit by the river under the myrtles and enjoy the surroundings.

Visited October 2013