“Fantastic Upper Franklin rafting with Water by Nature”

Franklin River Nature Trail
Ranked #104 of 715 things to do in Tasmania
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I've recently returned to Melbourne after one of the best trips I've ever had. Two friends and I rafted the upper Franklin River with Water by Nature - I'd highly recommend Water by Nature for this trip. Our guides, Jim C. and Rob J. were knowledgable, friendly and, most importantly, extraordinarily competent at navigating the exhilarating and, at times, nail biting environment (Jim, Rob - thanks!).

We were a small and perhaps underpowered crew but were able to run the amazing rapids with confidence. The River itself is a gorgeous place - rough, rugged and untouched (nb: and you keep it that way - be prepared to primitive ablutions and taking everything out with you. I mean everything...)

The excitement of the rapids and the truly awesome environment as well as being completely removed from the rest of the world combines to create a magnificent trip.

The "walk" up to Frenchman's Cap on the trip was a highlight for me. If you take this trip be aware that if you're not used to walking, this is relatively strenuous side trip.

Technical portages were difficult, challenging and in the end fun. Coming out of the boat a couple of times along the way added a certain piquancy to the experience! Be prepared for exhaustion, fear, thrills and the unassailable enjoyment of being in one of the most beautiful parts of the world and completing a challenging series of activities.

Make sure you follow the gear recommendations - shoes are really important! Go with the Dunlop Volleys or the 5.10 Canyoneers. You don't want to slip of the Slimy Rocks of Doom into the Raging Torrent of Death....

Again, I would highly recommend Brett and the Water by Nature team. If you're going to take a ride along the ditch, get in touch with them.

Cheers
B

6  Thank Ben C

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Exploring the mighty Franklin River was an incredible and unforgettable experience with the Water By Nature Team – led by Jim Davis and Rob Jimmieson and I wish I was still out there lost in all its beauty. Jim and Rob shared their knowledge and love of the river with us through-out our entire journey.

Also, Jim’s culinary skills completely blew me away as every meal was prepared with the freshest of local produce - herbs and spices too! I have fallen in love with the Franklin and will be forever grateful for the experiences and challenges that it offered me.

3  Thank KC0llins13
Reviewed 12 November 2013

There are exotic ways to experience the mighty Franklin. Helicopter,light plane,canoe and white- water rafting. But its only on foot that you appreciate fully the value of this wonderland.
Unlike longer hikes or walks that resemble an assault on the Amazon,this walk is an easy,short hop of a nature-trail. Its a great introduction to the famous Franklin River,at the heart of conservation battles in 1982-3,that changed attitudes of governments and people towards the sensitive environment.
We found the trail easy,more like a walk- in- the- park,as we wound our way through stunning,cool-temperate rainforest and came close to Surprise river. Love that name,don't you?
This is some of the wildest country in Tasmania and downstream the Franklin descends some amazing ravines. Use every toilet break available as this is part of bush folklore. There is one where the Lyell highway crosses the river. The nature trail leads off the south side of the road to form a loop from which its great to sit by the river under the myrtles and enjoy the surroundings.

1  Thank Eli B
Reviewed 9 October 2013

"we were in Strahan Last week .Mum Dad and 3 kids 1 ,7,11 . The seaplane ride out and down the remote Gorden River was an unbeliveable experiance . we were lucky the weather was perfect. the pilot flew low down along the 9 metre wide gorge and then lands on the river. we then walked thru the most beautiful untoched forrests to a hidden waterfall . words fail me . it is a absolute must do ! I Took my 11 year old son too and its a momnmet we will never forget . we also did the river criuse which was also well worth it Make sure you go on the red boat . it has a great kids room (toys dvd books etc ) . we stayed at Renison Cottages (the Blue House) which we could not fault Two Bedrooms HUge bath fully equiped .The kids loved the huge plasma. We were in strahan for four nights which we think was perfect . there is also a wilderness railway track which was fantastic it follows the river back to queenstown. the views out the windows are fantastic . It was full when we went and a bit crowded with old peolpe who werent very frieldy towards kids having fun ! The road in to Strahan from hobart is one of the best drives in Tasmania . the sheer size of the forrests and the hundreds of hairpins bends and cliffs is not for the fainthearted . A unbeliable view awaits you arround every corner. the landscape that hits you when you arrive at queenstown is a eye popper ! cheers paul"read less

Reviewed 3 June 2013

In January this year my brother and I were fortunate to have the opportunity to experience this truly inspiring wilderness with the godfather of the river and his exceptional team.

Having grown up in Tassie and experienced so much of what this beautiful island has to offer for those who love the wilderness it has been on the cards for many years to tackle this big one. We have both travelled the world on adventures and worked as guides in one capacity or another and the consensus is that this trip with this crew was up there with the best.

The deep knowledge of the guides help make the experience on and off (sometimes in) the Franklin River exhilaratingly tranquil. While there are inherent dangers in the activity and being wet cold and exhausted par for the course, ending each day with delicious food and good company made it special. The chance to recap on the highs and lows, while in the most remarkable camping spots, knowing that there were others tackling the river in other groups who weren't so fortunate made us aware that we had made the right call to join the Water by Nature team.

Happy paddling.