“Water by Nature”

Franklin River Nature Trail
Reviewed 3 June 2013

In January this year my brother and I were fortunate to have the opportunity to experience this truly inspiring wilderness with the godfather of the river and his exceptional team.

Having grown up in Tassie and experienced so much of what this beautiful island has to offer for those who love the wilderness it has been on the cards for many years to tackle this big one. We have both travelled the world on adventures and worked as guides in one capacity or another and the consensus is that this trip with this crew was up there with the best.

The deep knowledge of the guides help make the experience on and off (sometimes in) the Franklin River exhilaratingly tranquil. While there are inherent dangers in the activity and being wet cold and exhausted par for the course, ending each day with delicious food and good company made it special. The chance to recap on the highs and lows, while in the most remarkable camping spots, knowing that there were others tackling the river in other groups who weren't so fortunate made us aware that we had made the right call to join the Water by Nature team.

Happy paddling.

"green moss"
"incredible journey"
"fillet steak"
in 2 reviews
"spent christmas and new year"
"rock scrambling"
"temperate rainforest"
"rafts"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 25 May 2013

One of the most memorable holidays we've ever had, the river being both physically demanding and rewarding in its natural beauty. We booked with Rafting Tasmania which operates out of Hobart. Graham, the charming and somewhat eccentric founder put us into the hands of two very capable, charming and patient guides, and the next five days were just a dream.

Date of experience: January 2013
1  Thank Miguel M
Reviewed 28 April 2013

To sit by a wild untouched river listening to moving water rolling over rocks, pulling at hanging branches and eroding banks and witnessing nature at its purest form, there is nothing like it.

Date of experience: April 2013
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I rafted the Franklin River in March 2013 with Water by Nature. Our guides were Brett and Klaudia who were fantastic in all respects.They were knowledgeable, cautious but optimistic, and very patient. I grew up in Tassie and knew about the demise of Lake Pedder. The Franklin Dam Blockade in 1983 had been a formative part of my life. To finally see the river and its surrounds in almost pristine condition (there are still some HEC installations to remind you how different it could have been) with my sister, in my 50th year celebration, was wonderful. We were lucky enough to have rain prior to our trip which eased our way down the river. 'Atmospheric' rain continued on and off in the beginning, but it made the trees sparkle, and the rainbows beautiful. Our walk up Frenchmans Cap was an added bonus. We walked up in the afternoon, spent the night at Tahune Hut, and then walked up to the summit by torch light for the dawn. The peaks were visible above an ocean of cloud. It was stunning. The Great Ravine is everything you have read and more. The rapids came with reputations, and were very loud within the canyon walls. Each one was assessed and then negotiated in a variety of ways - all of us, Brett alone, lined through or portaged. The rocks could be pretty slippery and I would reinforce the purchase of the recommended Dunlop Volleys. We were lucky enough to spend two days at a lovely campsite waiting to collect others from the Mt McCall track. The lower Franklin with its caves, beaches and rock formations continued all the way to the Gordon River. The trip was a continuous food fest - nutritious, plentiful and yummy. Prawns, fresh greens right to the end, pancakes - we were amazed what could be produced with a frypan. I had never slept under cave overhangs before or slept on beaches under the stars. To be rafting and in such a remote area would not have been possible for me without the expert guidance of Water by Nature and I would recommend this trip with this company to anyone who is reasonably fit and nimble.

Date of experience: March 2013
2  Thank Polly A
See more reviews
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Brett from Water By Nature leads an extremely safe and knowledgable trip on the mighty Franklin River which is to be expected I guess, seeing he's rafted it over 200 times (I have heard him called the Godfather of the river although this quietly spoken, gentle man, probably wouldn't like this title).
If you like a challenge - and you will be personally challenged in some way during your trip - this is a great combination of adventure, physical exercise, simpleness, camping and the resting of the mind, in the ultimate pristine environment. I highly recommended this trip but come prepared - this is nature's Hilton, not Paris Hilton. Depending on river water levels things can be physical, you may have to lift kit bags around slippery rocks or on lower levels, carry rafts over river logs...it's all part of the fun and experience. I can't stress enough to pack the correct gear, preparing also for cold cold days if at the end of a season and it's raining. This is a trip you will talk about for many years to come.

Date of experience: April 2013