“Water by Nature Franklin River rafting”

Franklin River Nature Trail
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I rafted the Franklin River in March 2013 with Water by Nature. Our guides were Brett and Klaudia who were fantastic in all respects.They were knowledgeable, cautious but optimistic, and very patient. I grew up in Tassie and knew about the demise of Lake Pedder. The Franklin Dam Blockade in 1983 had been a formative part of my life. To finally see the river and its surrounds in almost pristine condition (there are still some HEC installations to remind you how different it could have been) with my sister, in my 50th year celebration, was wonderful. We were lucky enough to have rain prior to our trip which eased our way down the river. 'Atmospheric' rain continued on and off in the beginning, but it made the trees sparkle, and the rainbows beautiful. Our walk up Frenchmans Cap was an added bonus. We walked up in the afternoon, spent the night at Tahune Hut, and then walked up to the summit by torch light for the dawn. The peaks were visible above an ocean of cloud. It was stunning. The Great Ravine is everything you have read and more. The rapids came with reputations, and were very loud within the canyon walls. Each one was assessed and then negotiated in a variety of ways - all of us, Brett alone, lined through or portaged. The rocks could be pretty slippery and I would reinforce the purchase of the recommended Dunlop Volleys. We were lucky enough to spend two days at a lovely campsite waiting to collect others from the Mt McCall track. The lower Franklin with its caves, beaches and rock formations continued all the way to the Gordon River. The trip was a continuous food fest - nutritious, plentiful and yummy. Prawns, fresh greens right to the end, pancakes - we were amazed what could be produced with a frypan. I had never slept under cave overhangs before or slept on beaches under the stars. To be rafting and in such a remote area would not have been possible for me without the expert guidance of Water by Nature and I would recommend this trip with this company to anyone who is reasonably fit and nimble.

Date of experience: March 2013
"green moss"
"incredible journey"
"fillet steak"
in 2 reviews
"spent christmas and new year"
"rock scrambling"
"temperate rainforest"
"rafts"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 16 April 2013

Brett from Water By Nature leads an extremely safe and knowledgable trip on the mighty Franklin River which is to be expected I guess, seeing he's rafted it over 200 times (I have heard him called the Godfather of the river although this quietly spoken, gentle man, probably wouldn't like this title).
If you like a challenge - and you will be personally challenged in some way during your trip - this is a great combination of adventure, physical exercise, simpleness, camping and the resting of the mind, in the ultimate pristine environment. I highly recommended this trip but come prepared - this is nature's Hilton, not Paris Hilton. Depending on river water levels things can be physical, you may have to lift kit bags around slippery rocks or on lower levels, carry rafts over river logs...it's all part of the fun and experience. I can't stress enough to pack the correct gear, preparing also for cold cold days if at the end of a season and it's raining. This is a trip you will talk about for many years to come.

Date of experience: April 2013
2  Thank CathyFinch
Reviewed 8 February 2013

I joined 9 other clients for an adventure expedition rafting down the Franklin. A true wild river in the beautiful and remote Tasmanian wilderness. We did the 7 day full river trip with medium water flows in mid Jan 2013 with fantastic weather. The keen members climbed Frenchman’s Cap with 360 degree awesome views. The rafting equipment was excellent and very robust. I also had great fun in the inflatable kayak on selected rapids. Our guides Brett and Robbie were very professional with unbelievable knowledge and experience of the river. Some of the white water was big, very big, and,while it is impossible to eliminate risk, I felt as safe as nature would allow with this tour company and would recommend them highly. Great fresh wholesome food was a real bonus. 4 courses most nights, for example brie, scallops, eye fillet and tiramisu.
I tested out a Sony Action Cam for the first time on the trip. It was very good and very waterproof with fantastic HD memories. My advice would be to test it out first to get the angle right because I have far too much footage of trees and sky. It is optional to bring your own tent. I will very seriously consider this next time. I had wanted to do this trip for 30 years and it lived up to all my expectations.

Date of experience: January 2013
7  Thank Michael H
Reviewed 26 January 2013

I did the 10 day version of the full river trip which Roger A did, leaving Hobart at the same time as Roger with Water by Nature (Brett Fernon). Our guides, Morgen and Alayne, couldn't have been more professional, friendly, judicious and helpful. Difficult portages were managed with skill and care. Both guides had a excellent knowledge of the river and provided an interesting and informative commentary along the way. They cooked wonderful and plentiful meals every day. The rafts and all the equipment provided were in excellent condition. The yacht cruise down the Gordon River and Macquarie Harbour on the final day was the perfect way to end the trip. I'd definitely do it again and most certainly with Brett's company.

Date of experience: December 2012
2  Thank Peter B
See more reviews
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Two mates and myself did the 7 day Express (full river) Franklin River rafting trip with 'Water by Nature' from December 27-Jan 2 (2013). Brett, the eclectic lead guide and expert/imaginative chef, knows the river intimately. While his crew communication skills are occasionally a bit lacking he sub-consciously knows the best lines through a rapid and is conservative in his risk taking re run or portage. The rafts we used were a bit long in the tooth but to be fair Brett has had replacements on order for a year but had been messed around re delivery from the Chinese manufacturer. The food was superb and the scenery pristine and unique. This is the third time I've done the Franklin albeit the other times were ~20 and ~40 years ago and the scenery is still superb although the drizzly Tassie weather is an ever present feature. The physical challenge is something to be aware of although the guides (Brett and Robin) accommodated lesser capabilities to a significant degree. I'd have no hesitation in doing 'Water by Nature' on the Franklin again any time.

Date of experience: January 2013