“Lifetime Experience”

Franklin River Nature Trail
Reviewed 26 January 2013

I did the 10 day version of the full river trip which Roger A did, leaving Hobart at the same time as Roger with Water by Nature (Brett Fernon). Our guides, Morgen and Alayne, couldn't have been more professional, friendly, judicious and helpful. Difficult portages were managed with skill and care. Both guides had a excellent knowledge of the river and provided an interesting and informative commentary along the way. They cooked wonderful and plentiful meals every day. The rafts and all the equipment provided were in excellent condition. The yacht cruise down the Gordon River and Macquarie Harbour on the final day was the perfect way to end the trip. I'd definitely do it again and most certainly with Brett's company.

Date of experience: December 2012
"green moss"
"incredible journey"
"fillet steak"
in 2 reviews
"spent christmas and new year"
"rock scrambling"
"temperate rainforest"
"rafts"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 10 January 2013

Two mates and myself did the 7 day Express (full river) Franklin River rafting trip with 'Water by Nature' from December 27-Jan 2 (2013). Brett, the eclectic lead guide and expert/imaginative chef, knows the river intimately. While his crew communication skills are occasionally a bit lacking he sub-consciously knows the best lines through a rapid and is conservative in his risk taking re run or portage. The rafts we used were a bit long in the tooth but to be fair Brett has had replacements on order for a year but had been messed around re delivery from the Chinese manufacturer. The food was superb and the scenery pristine and unique. This is the third time I've done the Franklin albeit the other times were ~20 and ~40 years ago and the scenery is still superb although the drizzly Tassie weather is an ever present feature. The physical challenge is something to be aware of although the guides (Brett and Robin) accommodated lesser capabilities to a significant degree. I'd have no hesitation in doing 'Water by Nature' on the Franklin again any time.

Date of experience: January 2013
3  Thank Roger A
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Just returned from my third Franklin River rafting trip with Brett/Water by Nature. An adventure of a lifetime and great food to boot! Brett ('the chef") has rafted the river more than 200 times and probably more than any human being ever. Brett is super human in his knowledge of the river and its moods. It is a dangerous and beautiful river but with Brett I always feel I am in safe hands (I would be wary of other operators with less experience of the river).

So do the trip (either upper half or lower half - I have done both, or the full trip) and you will never regret it. It is equal to my trips around the remote Kimberley and amongst the wildlife in the Okavango Delta in Africa.

Date of experience: December 2012
4  Thank Auseurofoodie
Reviewed 12 June 2012

My son joined me for the 10 day 'er with WxN, March 2012. Absolutely Awesome journey! For some the the 'thrills and spills' of whitewater rafting may be the primary motivator for completing this trip - and there's plenty to get the adrenalin flowing! For me it was akin to a 'spiritual' journey -an opportunity to reflect and enjoy this mighty river, wrestled from those who would have chosen to destroy it some thirty years previous. Huge thanks to Brett, and our guides Elias and Francie for providing that opportunity - their knowledge, skills and experience are priceless. As for the camp tucker - gourmet! Can't wait to take the grandsons! But then, might just have to experience it all again by then. How blessed are we that the Franklin flows free?!!

Date of experience: March 2012
2  Thank Martin A
See more reviews
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Over Easter, I was deciding whether to learn how to mountaineer in New Zealand, rock climb in Thailand or raft the Franklin River in Tasmania.

What won it for me in the end was the idea of experiencing the impetus for Australia’s first environmental movement on a 7-day guided rafting expedition.

Be forewarned, like any other outdoor adventure you are at the mercy of weather and I’ve been told you can have sunny days on the river but on my recent trip (April 6-12, 2012), it rained a lot! And I don’t remember having seen the sun but on the first day and at the end of the trip.

All this rain meant that the river flooded and became too dangerous to raft. We were stuck at camp for two days and would have been stranded for an extra day if it was not for our Water by Nature guides Brett and Robin who used their years of experience to guide us through safely in the difficult conditions. Another group from a different rafting company was stranded at the same campsite for an extra day because they were unable to navigate the river at high flow.

The trip can be as demanding as you want it to be. Don’t forget you’re on the river to travel the 112km in a week. The portaging (moving the boats over rocks and the gear through rainforest trails) and paddling can be hard work but that’s what makes the experience.

The hard days are rewarded with a gourmet feast and if you appreciate food, you will not be disappointed. I was amazed at how our guides were able to fashion a pizza, tiramisu and blueberry cheesecake on a one-stover burner. Make sure you request for the guacamole!

My advice to you if you do this trip is have an awesome time but be prepared to be wet out of the water as well, so pack appropriately. Just a word of note, the rapids run up to level IVs which starts to get a bit hectic and flips or overboards can happen, oh and the remoteness can get quite full-on for some.

But don’t let that turn put you off. The people you meet on the trip make it and I was fortunate to meet a wonderful bunch of other Australians and international visitors who like me wanted to experience the beauty of our very own Franklin River.

Would do it again in a heart, most definitely.

Date of experience: April 2012