“Franklin River rafting Tasmania”

Franklin River Nature Trail
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Rafting the Franklin for 7 days in April 2012 exceeded all the expectations of my wife and I. We went with Water By Nature, led by Brett who was great. Absolute wilderness, absolute beauty, wild but not out of control, thanks to some remarkable guides. It was more extreme than we expected in that once you enter the river there is only one time you can get out - and that is at end of Day One with a considerable hike. Otherwise you are going the full 120 kilomteres by water. Everybody has to lift boats over rocks and at times climb around impassable rapids - which means up quite steep gorges with hardly discernible tracks. But all manageable. We are aged 56 and 60 from Sydney. I have some white water experience but my wife had none as did most of the others in the group. She had also done no real outdoors activity and is moderatley fit given an urban lifestyle. So most people can manage. Accommodation was sleeping under rock overhangs, in caves and tents - with supplied Lilo. All comfortable. James, Elias and Jarrah (all aged 30) were exceptional guides, very knowledgable, very safety concious, great cooks and good fun. The rafting was world class (up there with the Zambesi). We had quite a bit of rain - to be expected it seems - so rapids Grade 3/4 and plenty of them. We lost a few over the side a few times and one raft flipped on a rapid in our group as well as the other group. Only one in our party did not get a swim. We had 5 rafts all up but broke in to two groups so our group was 5 clients and 3 guides in two rafts. We were all aged in our 50's and we laughed all the way down the river. There is no room for being precious. The other group was 25 to 40 years with a mix of nationalities. Small waterproof cameras recommended - stunning scenery but little time for setting up shots. We were last trip of year - April - getting cold. Not on their list but neoprene socks are a good investment. Otherwise the list supplied is all you need. You live in the day clothes (wet) and night clothes (dry) so just 2 sets of clothes. Extra thermal set and pair socks a good idea. Summary: my wife says it was an empowering experience, proving what she/we can get out and do in the world. Brett has been doing this trip for 25 years and knows the river backwards. Friendly and competent. Elias and James are world class (they do guide all over the world). We all took 'the boys' out to dinner at the end to thank them for doing such a great job.

Date of experience: April 2012
"green moss"
"incredible journey"
"fillet steak"
in 2 reviews
"spent christmas and new year"
"rock scrambling"
"temperate rainforest"
"rafts"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 19 March 2012

A experience that words can not describe with a great tour company using experienced guides who are also river and rafting enthusiasts and wonderful chefs but perhaps the location that can not be surpassed, inspired them. I wanted to do it again immediately the trip ended but that will have to be some year soon. Thanks Graham, Adrain and crew.

Date of experience: February 2012
1  Thank csandes
Reviewed 27 February 2012

How can there be 360 degree views whilst rafting on a river lost in a deep canyon?

First, start with the water itself, just underneath your paddle. Clean and pure from a pristine wilderness catchment - protected now - but only because of the protestations by those that came before you. When thirsty, unhook the cup from the raft and dip it in. But first, on top of the water are those amazing swirling patterns caused by the foamy eucalyptus proteins - a subject of famous photographers.

Beneath - the multi-coloured rocky jewels of quartzite or fools gold. Swimming amongst these rocks you might spy a platypus - once thought to be creature of myth. Next - the walls of the river - made of more polished stone - gems as large as houses - or smaller masterpieces chiseled by an ancient sculptor.

Strewn along these walls - the massive weathering carcasses of mighty Tasmanian oaks, improbably washed and then wedged into place by the power of the flooding river that few have seen, but today, fortunately not presenting an impassable logjam. A few more degrees above that, the living bush. 5,000 year old Huon pine; manferns - that as a species date back to the time of the dinosaurs. Above that, soaring great ravines, rising above deceiving gorges.

Even higher, quartzite cliffs, the former perches of those massive boulders that now pass by your raft. Higher still, a passing glimpse of a frenchman's cap? Then, the intense blue antipodean sky - the sun thankfully warming your wetsuit. And is that a wedgetail?

Only 180 degrees of beauty still to see and describe. But that must wait, because, our river guide has just commanded "jump right!", and here we go again, journeying to that peaceful abyss but with our serenity soundly - but only briefly - broken...

Date of experience: February 2012
5  Thank GoCats2
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Did a five day white water rafting trip with Rafting Tasmania- a wonderful and unforgettable experience. Physically hard at times, with enough challenges to make this a very exciting adventure. Very well organised and supervised, and therefore relatively safe. The catering was five stars- in the middle of nowhere! Contact: Graham.

Date of experience: January 2012
7  Thank Miguel M
See more reviews
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I loved rafting the Franklin so much, I've done two trips down the river, both times with Water by Nature. The trip is a wonderful combination of the adrenaline rush of your time in the water and the rapids as well as the time in camp to relax and just enjoy the beauty around you. I live in a big, noisy, polluted city, so I loved being surrounded by green and birdsong in such a pristine part of the world. Falling asleep next to flowing water each night also worked wonders on my psyche. I was thinking as I started my first trip that I would have to give up some creature comforts that I love like coffee every morning, chocolate and a comfortable bed, but I actually had all that on the trip. There were comfy air mattresses to sleep on, and the food was incredible. I can't believe how well I ate. There wasn't only coffee and chocolate but also fresh eggs and produce, lamb, steak, guacamole, pasta, cakes and other desserts. Brett, the owner, is also the most experienced guide on the Franklin. It was great to be with someone so knowledgeable about the river and with medical training to boot. I keep pictures of the river at my desk at work and just keep dreaming about going back again.

Date of experience: October 2011