All reviews caravan park stayed here sri lankan chef pub style meals fried rice dump point the ground floor hotel motel room was clean arrived late reception staff free wifi close to town good size would stay again powered site plenty of hot water
Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

The motel has no secure fences, so its really to access from the main road,side and the back. A teenger boy tried to break in through the window to unlock our room around 1230 am, luckily I woke up then called my husband,he chased him away. Unfortunately we couldn't get back to sleep after that,my husband was concerned about my safety because I'm eight months pregnant and worried that they might return with other partners. Overall the room is ok,but realized the air-con was noisy like train crush while we were going to sleep,so we couldn't have it on,then the break in happened. If you wish have a good night sleep with worry free, pay a little bit more and go somewhere else,honestly we paid $115 for a night,couldn't have a good night sleep and so close to lose our belongings,its not really worth it. Maybe you have better luck then us,hope the thing will never happen to you.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Opal_Inn, Front Office Manager at Opal Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Hi Iris H

I'm really sorry to see that you didn't have a good experience with us.

I did a security walk after my shift had finished (approximately 9:30pm) and didn't see any suspicious activity however, I did see a window wide open which is against our recommendations. We do advise our guests by way of illustration and a brief summary on each map suggesting guests keep their valuables secured and windows and doors locked also. Granted, given the air-conditioning fault you mentioned, this would've made the room uncomfortable but we would've gladly assisted with a room move if we knew about it: our After Hours Mobile Number is also on the back of the map.

I apologise though for the discomfort and fear you experienced while you were here. We acknowledge that it does happen from time to time, but in the thirteen months I have been here, it has only happened a handful of times.

Reviewed 8 October 2017

Clean caravan park but dusty and humid Coober Pedy made it in the two days stay not so pleasurable
They served good food in the hotel restaurant and we all enjoyed the dishes especially the Sri Lankan Mixed Fried Rice, portion of the rice can be reduce to a smaller bowl otherwise - yummy

Room Tip: Convenient location for a night stay
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends

Hi Lim Y

I'm glad to see that you had the opportunity to try out our Bistro. We try to cater to everyone by giving large servings. We could've organised for the rest to be taken away if you liked? Might be worth considering for the next time you're out this way again.

I'm sorry that your stay wasn't pleasurable. While we do work hard at trying to make everyone's stay comfortable and enjoyable, we can't do anything about the climate or the dust out here in the desert.

I hope the rest of your journey is pleasant.

Wishing you safe travels,

Reviewed 7 October 2017

The room was budget and basic but neat and clean. Very close to lovely Chinese restaurant. Staff were friendly and helpful. Off street parking. BBQ facilities close to rooms. Lovely small grassed court yard outside room.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Opal_Inn, Front Office Manager at Opal Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2017

Hi lyn449

Thank you for your review.

I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff were, as you have written, friendly and helpful. It's what we're here for.
I think the budget rooms are definitely what the budget-conscience guest needs. They are comfortable; nearly all of them have new beds, and all of them have new reverse cycle air-conditioners, all come with their own private ensuite, and tea/coffee making facilities and are set in a comfortable and quiet grassed court yard area.
While you were here, I hope you had an opportunity to experience our own Bistro onsite.

Hopefully we get to see you out this way again.

Until then, I wish you safe travels.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Checked into their tourist caravan park here in Coober Pedy. Check in was quick & efficient, however disappointing with no drive through sites available. Being a reasonably new van park I feel there should be more drive through sites. Amentities clean and loads of hot water available to shower & wash off the dust.
Had a meal in their dining room.. very friendly staff there and the roast lamb meal was good - not plentiful but capped it off with a chocolate brownie slice with chocolate ice cream & fruit salad. That was a nice touch to end the evening.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Opal_Inn, Front Office Manager at Opal Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Hi Anthony T

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experiences with us here at the Opal Inn.
One of our projects during the off season is to map out the sites again to see what we can do about giving them a clearly defined boundary etc. This may help with providing Drive Through sites, but - as you may have seen during your stay with us - we are not a huge park. We do work at trying to maximise the space and provide sites that caravanners can drive through but these are limited. Something I have found is that by offering Drive Through sites, it tends to lead people to believe they can stay hooked up to their van, which means that they end up taking up another site altogether.
I'm glad you got to experience our Bistro. I'm disappointed to see that your meal wasn't plentiful especially when we get a number of guests who say they couldn't finish their meal based on the sheer size. But the Brownie is definitely worth leaving a bit of room for.
Thanks again for your review. I hope you find yourself out this way again.
Wishing you safe travels.

Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

We decided that staying in an underground room elsewhere was not for our budget.

Our room at the Opal Inn was clean and comfortable with little fridge and also TV.

The room was a comfortable temperature too and didn't need the air con

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Opal_Inn, Front Office Manager at Opal Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2017

Hi sala5000

Thanks for your review. I'm glad to see that you were able to find something that suited your budget and comfort right here in our hotel. Our rooms are quite comfortable and we are conveniently located so who could ask for more, really?
I hope you got the opportunity to take advantage of our facilities as well, such as our bistro, bar and/or gaming lounge?

Thanks again for your review. Hopefully we get to see you out this way again sometime soon.