All reviews underground bar underground room above ground no lift mini bar underground tunnel historical displays flights of stairs opal shop outback town lamb shank hotel room enjoyable stay unique experience opal fields the main street sleeping underground
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I rcently stayed at the desert cave hotel in an 'above ground' room on a business trip. The room was clean, with a good shower, complimentary tea/coffee making and comfortable mattress for sleeep. Think of any country hotel and it was slightly above that basic standard, so given the remote location, quite good really!
The hotel did get noisy through the evening until midnight with cars and other guests coming and going throughout the night. I also had trouble with the airconditioning settings, only realising at about 1am, that while I was turning the temperature down to cool the room, it was on a 'heater' setting, so wasn't working perhaps this was my fault, but I couldn't find any instructions anywhere in the room (booklet told me that in a cave you don't need aircon, but my room wasn't a cave room).
The breakfast offerings were not great, if you're into eggs, then you'd be happy, but muesli, yoghurt etc was not featured.
If I went back to CP I would stay there again, but take some airplugs.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, stay underground, it will be quieter for a good sleep
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank AdeleAustralia
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Having heard good reports we stayed 2 nights here in an underground room. This is an unusual hotel offering both above and under ground rooms and is unusual in that it has a quite large and detailed visual display area in one of the underground galleries providing historical information about opal mining in the area, types of opal and the construction of the hotel.

Room facilities were very good, very clean, well appointed, well maintained and the king size bed was very comfortable. Staff were knowledgeable and helpful.

Location is very central and we thought the cost was reasonable considering the high standard of the accommodation and facilities offered in what is still a remote location. Fuel and shopping discount vouchers were provided to us as guests.

Breakfasts and lunch in the coffee shop were good and surprisingly inexpensive (but don't order the pancakes !).

All told we were very impressed.

Room Tip: We were very happy in an underground room but if darkness or claustrophobia is a problem then the above ground rooms would be fine.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I think the price was a little high for where we were. The reception were very friendly. We enjoyed sleeping underground and even slept in for a change. We spent the afternoon in the underground bar while the kids played on the arcade games. Was not too pleased with the goings on of the bartender and a group of people who kept coming and going all the time. Umberto's restaurant is outdated and the food is all pre prepared junk that you would get at a theme park all you can eat buffet. I give my score based on the room, as I wouldn't give anything for the restaurant and bar.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Beckinoz
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Underground might be nice, rooms are good but of course they have no windows! At least they are quiet. The above ground rooms are not soundproof. They are also a tad second rate in that they need upgrading. Tired is the word.

The bar is expensive, and it is tired as well. However, the breakfast being an inclusion, was of good quality even though the breakfasts do not start until 0700, a bit of a hindrance if you are heading north for a 7/8 hour drive.

Room Tip: If you are staying here only go underground, above ground is tired and not sound proof
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jeffrey G
Reviewed 24 June 2012

My wife and I had a two night stay at this place. We has an underground room. The service was good and friendly. Room was large and clean. Bed was comfortable. Could not fault the place and would stay again.

Stayed: May 2012