USD 156
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 182/night.

Underground Bed & Breakfast(Coober Pedy)(Great Value!)
USD 119
Desert View Apartments(Coober Pedy)(Great Value!)
USD 96
USD 119
  • Restaurant
Desert Cave Hotel(Coober Pedy)(Great Value!)
USD 156
USD 131
Agoda.com
  • Pool
The Underground Motel(Coober Pedy)(Great Value!)
USD 96
Mud Hut Motel(Coober Pedy)(Great Value!)
USD 115
USD 108
Agoda.com
USD 70
  • Bar/Lounge
Oasis Coober Pedy Tourist Park(Coober Pedy)(Great Value!)
USD 114
  • Pool
All reviewsunderground experiencegreat sunsetsunrise and sunsetunique experiencesmall windowdegree viewstaying undergroundunderground motelbucket listin townconstant temperaturestay there againfamily rooma great place to stayjohns pizzaunderground livinggreat spot
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We (sadly) only stopped over for one night and it was a great experience! I wasn’t sure what to expect but the layout of the motel is amazing and far exceeded my expectations, the rock is a really cool feature and the lighting creates a kind of adventurous feel to the place. I thought for sure I’d feel claustrophobic due to being under ground but not once did I feel uneasy, it was a lot of fun!

The staff are lovely and very helpful; we’ve already recommended to some family members that they should stay here if they’re ever passing through!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2018

My sister and I were traveling through Coober Pedy and stumbled upon this place. We stayed 2 nights, but we both agreed that we should have planned for more days in not only Coober Pedy, but this specific motel.
Obviously, the novelty of residing underground is worth a night's stay alone, but the overall property and staff make it a wonderful value for any hotel/motel stay. Our room was clean, had a soothing ambience, and it was one of the best night's sleep I had had in months (the room gets ridiculously dark and quiet at night when all the lights are turned off).

Initially, I had booked just one night's stay, and the staff was quite accommodating when I asked to extend for another night. Check-in was a breeze, and the reception staff were courteous and informative. We were given a pamphlet with things to do and restaurant options in town, and all our questions were answered cheerfully when we called reception.

One note: due to the underground nature of the rooms, there are occasional chips (nothing large or alarming, mostly just dust particles) of rock that fall, especially in the bathrooms. This is apparently typical and expected for these building styles, as I learned on a tour at a mining museum that described the underground dwellings typical of Coober Pedy. I would in no way call this a reason to claim this place a dirty facility- it is far from a common occurrence, and it did not bother me or my sister in the slightest; I'm just putting this note out there so that others are aware and expect it, thereby avoiding disappointing reviews from future patrons.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 March 2018

On arrival the helpful chap at Reception greeted us and showed us to our room. There was a lovely view over the town as the Lookout Cave Underground Motel is built into the hill...we had a very quiet and comfortable room . Quite a fascinating experience, as we were shown the machinery that is used to tunnel into the hill to expand the underground rooms. Our host also suggested where we could find something to eat...Johns pizza was our choice and it was delicious! A very unique experience in an unusual town that has Opal shops galore. Would recommend this hotel when visiting Coober Pedy.

Room Tip: All rooms are underground....temperature is constant.
Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2018

The top of the hill looks like nothing. In fact, most of Coober Pedy looks like the land that time forgot. Buried beneath the hill, the Lookout Cave Underground Motel is a unique space. As the name suggests, it's underground, so your room is carved out of the rock. The bed is extremely comfortable, and while the space is simple, we found we had all that we needed, including free wifi. The only thing we did notice is that throughout the night you could hear what almost sounded like dripping. Then we realised, it's little pieces of the rocky roof flaking off! A little unnerving, but apparently nothing to worry about! We really love the atmosphere here, and you get a brilliant view of both sunrise and sunset from the top of the hill that this hotel is under. Just take care, the route up the side of the hill is steep and rough to say the least.

Stayed: July 2017
Reviewed 23 February 2018 via mobile

Lovely underground hotel up on the hill, you can climb on the rooftop to watch the sunset. Take a bottle of champagne and some nibbles. The rooms are lovely and spacious bathroom is a bit small but nice. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Loved staying underground.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple