“Beautiful but bland”

Ranked #344 of 1,890 Restaurants in Adelaide
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I decided to stop here for breakfast on my way to the Impressionist Exhibition (going with the French theme). I really enjoyed the ambiance of this cafe - it took me back to Paris, which was lovely. The service was a little slow but ok. There were lots of great options on the menu so choosing was difficult. Initially I thought Id get a croissant but there were a lot of flies covering the pastries which was quite off putting. They should think about covering them with something. I chose a dish which included eggs, mushrooms, pancetta, potato rosti, cheese & bread. It sounded like I would be having a big breakfast but in reality it was tiny. Everything except the bread was contained in a little dish, slightly bigger than an ash tray. The mushrooms lacked flavour as they were sweaty instead of caramslised. Unfortunately, the potato rosti was under the eggs and on top of the minced mushrooms and so it was quite soggy. There was a generous amount of bread which was delicious and some French butter. The coffee was below average. The meal was ok but the non-bread component was very tiny for the price. It still provided me with a French fix and I’d give them another go, ordering something different nxt time.

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Was referred to Hey Jupiter by our tour guide Michael, from The Glass Half Full Tours. The food was fantastic and the atmosphere was buzzing due to a festival that was happening in the city. Went back again for a late night drink and it was also excellent. The owner who is French added to the atmosphere and it was entertaining to hear him rounding up people and tables.

2  Thank MartyFisch
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Friendly and quick service for breakfast. The toast francais with poached fruit and almonds was great! Also had the two eggs with toast and smoke salmon was amazing. Very filling breakfast!

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank Madrugb
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Went to this cute little French number in Ebenezer Place Easter Saturday evening and was really impressed. Whilst it is tiny and most of the typically french tables and chairs are set outside the restaurant, we didn't mind because a lot of the other restaurants in Rundle Street East (parallel to Ebenezer Place) have traffic driving right past them (the pollution puts some of us off).... the staff are really welcoming, efficient and helpful. The menu is once again typically French, but we shared two of the 1/2 chicken dishes between the four of us (ladies), with a gorgeous green salad and harricot beans - just superb & perfect sized meal. The dessert was even better and to die for!! The only negative with this little gem is that the wine list is a little restrictive and very expensive (cheapest bottle of white was just under $50) and a lot well over $100+. Otherwise I would have given this 5 stars - still very charming, relaxing and well worth the visit!

2  Thank Di R
Reviewed 26 March 2018

Enjoyed a wonderful 3 course meal with my wife on a busy saturday night at the end of the Adelaide Fringe Festival. There were people everywhere, but we had no trouble ringing and making a booking an hour or so before we arrived.
The first, or petit plat course, was crumbed lamb brains and their terrine. both were out of this world, as we shared our plates and I couldn't decide which one I liked more.
For mains, we both had duck, mine, the duck breast with puree carrots, baby carrots and plums, and my wife, the duck confit, with a green salad. Both were new dishes to us, and both tasted incredible!
For dessert, we shared a creme brulee, and both had fun cracking our spoons on the top!!
Service was fantastic, infact, very persuasive, and made the whole experience a lot of fun!

1  Thank E9492FNpaulp