“4 days at the Mecure Grovsvenor Hotel”

Mercure Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #39 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Perth, Australia
“4 days at the Mecure Grovsvenor Hotel”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My friend over holidaying from NZ and I stayed at the Mercure for 4 nights. I had booked through Qantas website, and thought I had chosen a room with twin single beds, but on arrival was told I had booked a Queen Bed, after some discussion the lady on front desk gave us a twin room. It was on the 4th floor looking onto a wall. The windows were very dirty. The room and bathroom were clean, but for a room with twin beds they only supplied 1 cup and saucer, I had to ask reception for another cup which they supplied without a problem. The fridge wasn't stocked with extra milks for 2 people. Back to the room it was very plain and bland, totally not like any picture I have seen advertising the Mecure. I have stayed in the Mecure in Melbourne and it was much nicer. The thing that really annoyed me was when they take a copy of your credit card (as hotels do) they froze $50 per day on my credit card account without telling me this is what they did. Upon checking my bank account I found I was in debt of $250, I paid the funds into my CC acc, then thought hang on I haven't spent this but thought maybe the reception had charged me for a day trip we did, but after going down stairs and asking I was told about the freezing of funds on our account. I wasn't happy to be told this after the event. I informed reception they should tell their clients this when they take the money. I was also told you can pay them the cash on hold if you wish and you get it back when you leave. I would have preferred that option when I arrived. So closing I am still waiting for the debt to be lifted from my account and won't be staying there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Korean first
sydney south
Reviewed 16 April 2012

The friendly and helpful staff made our stay in this hotel very enjoyable. The meal in the Hotel restaurant was excellent with our steak being cooked to perfection according to our request. The hotel is in a central position with the Railway station Judy across the road.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Palmerston North
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Fortunately we only stayed here one night. We had upgraded to a premium room but I think that didn't make a lot of difference. The room was like a little prison! High windows looking out at outer louvres and a concrete wall-at least we were on the top floor the lower floors must have had very little natural light. The bed was comfortable enough and the room was reasonably recently decorated though bland. The bathroom was like a broom closet with a door that opened out into the main room-an indication of how small it was. Service at the counter was friendly enough and check in and out were fine. The location on North Tce was good though not near the Ghan station-our travel agent told us we would be just across the road from the station and we were but it is the main Adelaide station that the Ghan doesn't go anywhere near.

Room Tip: The only rooms that would seem to have any natural light and a view would have to be the ones facing...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Adelaide hotels

Wisborough Green
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Probably the worst hotel in which I've stayed in the last 30 years.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and move to the InterContinental across the street
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends