“A fine lady in need of Botox” 4 of 5 bubbles

InterContinental Adelaide
Ranked #9 of 58 Hotels in Adelaide
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“A fine lady in need of Botox”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

Came to Adelaide for the caberet festival, so stayed two nights, i came here about 20 years ago when this hotel was a Hyatt, and sadly not a lot had changed , the ambient colours and marble of the 80's still; feature all over, and whilst the rooms have been redecorated they really show there age, which is ok, but they charging 2013 5 star prices for 1980;s glamour.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ricardo A
ICAManagement, General Manager at InterContinental Adelaide, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Dear Ricardo A

Thank you very much for providing your feedback following your stay during the Cabaret season.

I would like to acknowledge your thoughts and thank you for choosing to visit us again after so many years.

I trust you enjoyed your Cabaret experience and time in Adelaide.

James Allen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
  • Polish first
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

We stayed for two nights as part of a big Australia trip,
The plus side - the front of house staff were efficient, polite and extremely helpful. The hotel is near the museum and art gallery if you want to visit them.
The minus side - The public areas around the foyer are badly in need of an upgrade. Think late 70s brown without enough light. Also never a good sign when your first comment on seeing your room is "Never mind, it's only for two nights". We had a river view room which technically did just that but unfortunately also overlooked the building site for the new hospital and the upgrade to the Oval - and is on the flight path. So woken up on Saturday by cranes and planes. This is obviously out of the control of the hotel but be conscious that this work is going on at the moment.
The room itself was faded and in need of a refurb - scratched paint, aged carpet and a fridge that buzzed on and off all night. And for some reason, despite it being booked for two, there was only one robe. Presumably we were meant to share?
What was really shocking was the fact that water and wifi are chargeable. Come on InterContinental, join the 21st century - does anyone still do this? And they charged us $4 for settling the bill by credit card....

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AsiaphileLondon
ICAManagement, General Manager at InterContinental Adelaide, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear AsiaphileLondon

Thank you for posting a TripAdvisor review after your recent stay.

I was delighted to learn that our team were efficient and helpful throughout your visit. We sincerely appreciate your kind review and strive to ensure all our guests have a great stay with us.

With regards to the construction works, this is actually an exciting redevelopment of the Riverbank Precinct - one of a host of major projects underway in and around Adelaide. I hope you have an opportunity to return to see its progress and final completion.

I appreciate all of your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future when you're once again visiting South Australia.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

Checking in was very smooth. The staff at the desk were so polite and extremely well spoken!
The rooms are nice but they could do with a revamp/ modernisation.
Room service was prompt and delicious.
I stay here for business as this hotel is very central.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Richolisa
Dear Richolisa

Thank you for recently staying at InterContinental Adelaide and choosing us as your destination to stay for business.

I sincerely appreciate your feedback and am glad you enjoyed our in room dining. Equally, thank you for thank you for making mention of the outstanding service that you received from our Front Office team and in room dining staff.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

I visited Adelaide gor a work conference and stayed at this hotel in 2009 and even though they had only recently become an intercontinental (taken over from Hyatt) there was so much more class. It's a prominent building in a fantastic location but upon returning earlier this month, I was disappointed by the look (it's exactly the same but duller) and feel (the life's been sapped) around the hotel.It wasnt all bad though, the bell boys were polite and efficient and my my room on the 20th floor was beautifully clean and the bed was great - very comfortable for a good night sleep. The staff were very friendly too but I get the feel they're not so proud of this once beautiful hotel as they were. When I asked what happened to the amazing seafood buffet i had in the main restaurant last time, the girl told me that pay-cuts meant there's not enough staff and the head chef had been tere too long and they wanted fresh eyes!! I decided to try the Room Service menu and whilst fairly a standard selection, the service was quick and very friendly and the food arrived warm. All in all, I find it hard to believe this is a 5* hotel compared to others in the same class around the world. With all the work going on in this precinct in the city, this hotel really needs a facelift before it becomes an eye sore in comparison. Looking forward to seeing their improvements one day.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank StoryCreater
Dear StoryCreater

Thank you for returning to InterContinental Adelaide and providing a review following your stay.

I was thrilled to read that our staff enhanced your experience with their warm hospitality. Thank you for also congratulating us on the clean and comfortable guestroom and options on our in room dining menu.

We take on board all comments seriously and your feedback is very much valued.

I hope to welcome you back for a future conference event or leisure opportunity.

Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

I travelled to Adelaide for business and also because I really like the place. (The Adelaide Show was on too).

I had never stayed at the Adelaide Intercontinental previously.

Anyway, the taxi brought me from the Airport and the first thing that I noted at close quarters is that the hotel building looks "odd". It's quite tall in Adelaide.

Anyway, reception was extremely friendly, helpful and they sorted out my IHG Membership Card.

It's then you realise just how dark and enclosed it is in the foyer area.

I managed to find my room without too much trouble.

On entering my room I noted that it was reasonably spacious with great natural light, a sensible work area and it seemed clean and well appointed.

It was then that I started to notice things, the room was oddly shaped and there were odd doors in strange places that opened to reveal - the bathroom! (that was nice and had a walk in shower) and other things. The tea and coffee nook reminded my of my nana's place built in the 1940's. There are signs of age all over the place.

It would seem that most of the rooms are these odd designs as well. There is simply no way this building ever won an an architectural or design award.

The tariff included breakfast which was fine. I'm not complaining with smoked salmon, caper berries etc are on the buffet. Restaurant staff were helpful and professional to a tee.

I had a meeting in the lobby bar as well, this could do with some sprucing up. Come on!

Would I stay again? - I would need to check out what room upgrades are available.

Room Tip: It's an old hotel. If you get a good accommodation deal. then deal with it!