Open today: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm

from USD 99.46
from USD 15.35
from USD 12.31
1,406 results
All reviews giant squid stuffed animals aboriginal culture egyptian room pacific islands few hours interactive displays great collection school holidays australia biodiversity megafauna antarctica boomerang galleries geographic sa
Selected filters
Reviewed 10 September 2019

When I’m in a new city, one of the things I always enjoy doing is visiting the natural history museum.

My visit to The Museum of South Australia very much exceeded my expectations.

Entry was free and there was quite a lot of content. There are 3 levels with a mezzanine. The staff were all very knowledgable and had many helpful suggestions about things to see in the museum and the rest of Adelaide during science week.

I visited on a Saturday and decided to attend two of the free daily public museum tours. These were 1 hour in length and I really enjoyed the content and pace. The tour guides' passion, excitement and enthusiasm for the topics covered made for a very special experience.

Lynne led the museum highlights tour. As well as imparting many fun scientific facts, she gave great context to the exhibitions and their significance, particularly in relation to South Australia's history.
The tour included answers to many things I had been wondering about. Such as how parts of the museum came to be and how the animals in the impressive taxidermy collections had been sourced (from Adelaide zoo over the last 100 years or so).

I had such a great time that I returned an hour later for a specialised tour of the Australian Aboriginal Cultures gallery led by Alexandra, who was such a delight.
It was a fascinating tour exploring many indigenous technologies, covering the innovative use of many tools, plants, and other artifacts.
The tour was very helpful in navigating and engaging with the large collection and giving it context.

I was only going to visit into the museum for an hour but had such a great time I ended up spending the entire afternoon here. Thank you for the great experience.

1  Thank rosieasp
Reviewed 6 September 2019 via mobile

FREE ENTRY. What a great way to spent a few hours with the family, today was with my 3yr old son. Soo much on display with so many questions, very entertaining. Staff were great and inviting. I would return more often (last time for me was about 30yrs ago) as I'm told there is a great rotation in themes and events throughout the year. I look forward to my return, thank you.

Date of experience: September 2019
Reviewed 3 September 2019

Travelling between Sydney & Perth on the Indian Pacific, an off-train experience was to the Museum. The Museum Education Officer was highly knowledgeable as was the guest speaker. Drinks and nibbles were served after the Museum tour and then dinner was served on the Mezzanine floor.

2  Thank Robyn E
Reviewed 18 August 2019 via mobile

The exhibits don't seem to change ... but the education officer is EXCELLENT!!!

THE WEBSITE MUST BE BETTER DEVELOPED ... people who look at this website will simply be put off visiting!!!

Reviewed 15 August 2019 via mobile

Lovely museum. It has 2 floors of aboriginal exhibits and 2 floors relating to other Australian history. Definitely worthwhile.