Lowest prices for your stay
AU$342
Hotels.com
Get rewarded with One Key
The_Loup_Garou
Phoenix, Arizona
Almost Great, But Nice, None the Less
Review of Hilton Adelaide
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 10 Aug 2017
On our “Australian wine tour,” in July, we stayed at the Hilton Adelaide for a couple of nights. This hotel is well-located on the edge of the CBD, and we found walking everywhere in Adelaide, to be quite easy. We never even got around to using the free tram.

The building seemed older, as did our suite, 1812, but parts of the lobby appeared to have been recently redone, and to great effect – they were lovely, especially the Coal Cellar + Grill (more so the Cellar/bar area).

Check-in was very nice, with a very efficient and friendly agent. We were welcomed as HHonors Diamond members, and given instructions for the included Breakfasts – either in the VIP Lounge, just a few floors below us, or in the Grill section of Coal. We tried both.

Now, our room was showing its age: it appeared that the carpet had buckled from cleaning, or perhaps a water leak, at some time in the past. It was in bad need of being replaced. While we did not trip, or stumble on the folds and wrinkles, I could imagine that happening. Also, the furniture has received its far share of use, and one drawer in the bedroom was hanging loosely, while one of the doors on the mini-bar was badly out of alignment. Our stay was so short, that I did not have time to inquire on plans for refurbishment of the rooms. Now, and with those complaints out of the way, the King bed was very comfortable. All plumbing and lighting functioned well, as did the safe. The two TV’s (living room and bedroom) also functioned well.

The closet was a bit tight, and there were few hangers. As we were on the road for 16 days, we had quite a few clothes. However, we moved the two provided terry robes to hangers in the bathroom, to free up a bit of closet space, and to also salvage two hangers. We did use the desk in the living room, which had a small love seat, coffee table and chairs, which were comfortable. We had a water kettle, above the mini-bar, and instant coffee, with a coffee caddy. Note: the coffee in the VIP Lounge was very good, and that in the Grill area of Coal not bad, as well.

The bathroom was small, with a combo tub/shower, which worked well. There was a single sink, and smallish vanity, so horizontal storage space was at a bit of a premium. The lighting over the sink could have been brighter, and if the rooms are refurbished, it would be great to add two LED instruments by the sink. There were two hair dryers – one, older wall-mounted unit, and then a handheld, which my wife used. We did not use the iron, or ironing board. We also did not use the mini-bar, and I do not recall any prices.

We had adequate AC outlets, for our two Australian power converters. I did not see any USB charging ports, but might well have missed them, as we had adequate device charging, and were seldom using anything but our phones, as this was a leisure holiday!

Suite 1812 had a nice view of Victoria Square. With our elevation, we heard zero street noise, even with the trams and traffic below – a very quite room.

There is a fitness room, a jogging track, a pool, a walking track, a tennis court, a barber shop, a beauty salon and a gift shop, that we never made it to. We did not use any meeting/function rooms, and did not even print boarding passes from the business center, as we were heading to the Barossa Valley for more days of wine tasting. However, we did have Breakfast in the VIP Lounge, and spent some quality time at the bar portion of Coal Cellar + Grill, which had a fun wine list – not deep, nor broad, it was still fun, and featured a lot of nice local wines, plus some Champagnes. Other than in the bed, we probably spent more time at Coal Cellar, than anywhere else on-property.

As we took a taxi from ADL Airport, then had a driver to take us to the Barossa Valley, I cannot comment on parking, but did notice at least one doorman at all times we were in the lobby, or the front of the hotel.

All staff, with whom we interacted, was very friendly, and accommodating.

As mentioned, the location was very good, and the tram stop was immediately out of the front door.

Though only for two nights, the overall stay was very nice, and if it were not for that carpet, and a few small issues with furniture, it would have been a perfect stay. Just sorry that I did not ask about plans for refurbishment of the rooms.
Date of stay: July 2017
    AU$127
1.1 km from Hilton Adelaide
View more hotels in Adelaide
3,044 results
All reviews the executive lounge victoria square collins bar diamond member central market tram stop gouger street junior suite around the corner lobby bar valet parking an upgrade room service buffet breakfast bit dated hotel is in a great location across the road
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

I stay here semi regularly for business. The staff are always professional and friendly. The rooms (higher floors) are nicely decorated and comfortable. The bed and pillows really inviting. My first choice hotel when in Adelaide.

Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Dackle1
PNorsell, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2017

Dear BoagsandStella,

I appreciate you choosing Hilton Adelaide for your first choice of hotel when travelling to Adelaide for business. We do have a great team and I am pleased you always find them to be professional and friendly.

Reviewed 10 August 2017

Whilst the beds & pillow were comfortable, I found the other facilities to be quite outdated. The bathroom was old and felt like a cheap motel bathroom and the TV was frustrating to use. The Hotel lobby was lively with music and a great bar, ans the breakfast buffet selection was really good. If you like a hotel that's walking distance to most things in the CBD, then this is for you, but don't expect it to be as well kept as you would expect from a Hilton Hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear suhailahd2017,

I appreciate you taking the time to pass on your feedback.

I am pleased that you found the beds and pillows comfortable however I did note that you were disappointed in other aspects of your stay. Due to the age of the building we are in the process of some major renovations to the guest areas of the hotel. Some improvements have been done over the last couple of years to the Lobby area, restaurant and bar and we are currently building a new modern gymnasium with future improvements to the hotel in the pipeline. I apologise for your disappointment in this regard.

I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

This is a preferred hotel for my company and whilst I acknowledge we can get considerably cheaper accommodation closer to the main downtown of ADE CBD, the staff here really add value to the hotel... the ability to park luggage when we arrived early, duck off to some meetings, get a text when our rooms were ready etc is a very definite "value add" service .. well done

1  Thank glenbethel

Dear TheTravellingAussie,

I appreciate your positive feedback regarding your experience with Hilton Adelaide and I am delighted that you find the service is of a high standard.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

Staff were very attentive and helpful, food was excellent and the rooms comfortable.
The hotel is favourably located, being next to the Adelaide Central Markets. Public transport (both bus and trams) are conveniently located in front of the hotel. The hotel is also within walking distance if the Central Bus station which services many of the coach tours available in Adelaide.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
PNorsell, Front Office Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2017

Dear Graeme R,

I appreciate your comments regarding your stay with us.

I am so pleased that you found the team to be helpful and you enjoyed the comfort of your room and food options. We are certainly in a convenient location and I am pleased this suited you.

I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

Just a short stroll from the mall and convention centre, the location of the Hilton is perfect. Not far from the airport either.
The restaurant food is excellent and the rooms spacious and comfortable. Great stat

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear samaP7435QY,

I am delighted that you found the location of the hotel suitable and the rooms spacious and comfortable. Our Executive Chef and his team take great pride in the food that they prepare and I am pleased this was to your liking.