“Reliable but watch out for price increases”

Majestic Minima Hotel
Ranked #12 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We have been staying at the Minima for many years using it as a close and reliable hotel to crash after full days and nights at Botanic Park for Womadelaide.

The hotel is called Minima so I am surprised it is used by overseas visitors or people on an interstate holiday. The rooms are very small and there is very limited cupboard space. There is virtually nowhere to store luggage. We would recommend the hotel more for locals staying close to the city after a big night out/event or for the budget minded business traveller with the minimum amount of luggage.

The room itself, though small, has a generous comfortable king sized bed with a large TV mounted on the wall. The TV had a few foxtel channels and the major commerical free to air channels. Do be aware that you can use the TV menu to change to the digital TV setting and then get all the free to air digital channels.

The bathroom is compact but I find the shower quite a good size, especially with the clever use of space and the sliding quarter circle shower doors.Plenty of towels and supplies (although only enough shampoo for 2 nights when we had booked for 3)

The cupboard space is a problem with the small desk and chair right next to the cupboard so that you have to take everything off the desk to open the cupboard door. There is a small hanging space with 4 coat hangers and a small ironing board. Above this are two small shelves but quite high. One really has to stand on the chair to use the top shelf.

The room has a mini fridge, plenty of tea and coffee, and some glasses, crockery and cutlery. There is a vending machine in the lobby where one can get soft drinks, water, cereal, choc bars, even detergent to use in their basement laundry. This is handy rather than having to go out to a convenience store on Melbourne Street, and often at comparable prices. Also it is available at any time of night. The range was a little limited on this visit (only coke, diet coke and water for drinks) but the prices were not too bad at $1.80 to $2.20 (although oddly some items were $1.80 in one row bit $2.80 in another for the same thing).

We had an economy room this time which is of the same dimensions as the standard room but without the balcony. Usually the balcony is not really required but it is good to have the outlook (especially if you are on the top floor. On the top floor you can also easily access the outdoor balcony seating area at the front). Our economy room (10) was on the ground floor and facing the carpark entrance so that we had no outlook and did not feel comfortable opening the windows for air. Also one could hear cars entering and the loud automatic car park door (I was woken at 3:45AM and 5:45AM one morning by the car park door). Also on the Saturday night I suspect some moronic guests were using the basement area as a hang out zone and were shouting, singing and swearing loudly there until 1 AM. I would recommend a standard room and an upper floor (I did request an upper floor but perhaps this was unavailable during the busy Festival period)

My biggest bug bear was the unreasonable price hike during this festival period. Normally it is $99 for an economy room and $109 for a standard room. We have paid these rates in the past during Womad and Festival times. This year prices were bumped up to $149 and $159 for March. It smacks a little of price gouging as I doubt they would attract more guests or have more rooms available because of this price rise. I appreciate hotels have high seasons but at $159 it makes one re-consider putting up with the restrictions of a minimum style compact room. Especially as we paid only $175 (with breakfast) for one of the Majestic's sister hotels in January 2012.

The hotel is still a good prospect for a inner city stay if all you need is a bed and have a small amount of luggage. Being on Melbourne Street there are plenty of restaurants and pubs nearby - The Lion, The Store, Zapatas, Cibo etc. It is also a pleasant and easy 30 minute walk to North Terrace - so not too far from the CBD. It is still clean and modern looking (but perhaps starting to show its age. On our last morning we noticed the carpet was quite damp against one wall which suggested a leaking pipe in the wall or an overflowing sink in the neighbouring store room. The carpet along that wall showed signs of previous water damage so it is obviously not the first event). I would consider using the hotel again for events like Womad but not at $149 to $159. That is getting too expensive and one might as well pay a bit extra for a decent sized room in a hotel with restaurants and reception assistance etc.

I suspect the self check in machine is a bit of a gimmick. Usually it has worked well but I have also on occasions had to use the intercom to speak to reception at the Lion because the machines were not working. You do need to make parking payments from the machine at the door but, as the Minima is on busy Melbourne St, it is almost impossible to get on street parking to do so. Usually we have pulled into the driveway and then raced to the machines to check in and pay for parking, hoping that no one needs to get in or out of the car park while we do so. On one such "race" I could check in but the parking machine did not work so I had to drive over to The Lion (and good luck finding free on street parking near there) to get the parking payment sorted. The machines are a nice gimmick, good if they work well, but a major headache if they are out of order.

Room Tip: Chose a standard room on the upper floor. economy rooms on the ground floor overlook the carpark ent...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Greg_Vaughton, Manager at Majestic Minima Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2012

Dear Scott P
Thank you for taking time to post a very thorough review of our property. I appreciate your loyal custom over the years & positive comments. In regards to the car park machine this was rectified as a matter of priority and we do apologise for the inconvenience. I appreciate you did pay a higher rate during the festival period but I believe this still represents great value at this time with some properties charging in excess of $500 on the same nights and our much lower price reflects that the rooms are smaller and it is a self-check in hotel. For the conveniences we offer I honestly believe there is no better value rooms available at this time of the year. Once again I do appreciate your very considered review and look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay.
Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 10 March 2012

This is a modern, boutique style hotel - devoid of reception staff. All self service check-in. System works. Rooms (standard) are small and yet tastefully decorated. Just a pity that the small desk and chair is set up directly in front of cupboards and the chair, as well as any items on top of the desk, need to be moved in order to access the cupboards. I thought my rate at $159 was a bit on the high side considering ....

• Stayed: March 2012

Dear Gogo6gogo
Thank you for taking time to post a review of our property. I am glad you enjoyed the room and found the automated check-in process easy to use. Yes the rooms are small at 14 m2. We do promote that these are mini-rooms at a mini-price which is why we are significantly cheaper than other hotels around the city while still providing king-size beds, modern bathrooms and large LCD tvs. If there was any confusion as to the size of the room I do apologise. The $159 rate you paid over this period I believe represents great value compared to what other hotels were charging over this high-demand festival period. But agree this is not the normal pricing for our rooms with average pricing closer to $100 outside of this period. I do appreciate your comments and do hope you will choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed 31 January 2012

Had problems with automatic check in, even though I made sure I got the seven digit number needed before I got there.It kept telling me to insert my credit card to pay money owing, I booked this hotel last year in November& paid upfront!!I Travelled from interstateThis ruined the experience to attend a Wedding on the 28th .After I rang up the reception at the old lion hotel& we sorted it out, I got the key to my room& proceeded to open the door MUCH TO MY HORROR,I took one look at my Bed!brown marks, sweat marks& hairs on the sheets!!!Rang up reception again, she asked me to walk 100 mtrs down the road to get the keys to another room! So i dragged my luggage behind me in the swealtering heat& got the keys to another room.I got back to the same horror, it was no different to the first room ,sheets were fuilthy!!! I was loosing so much time as I had only about an hour left to get ready for the reception.So I rang up again & asked for house keeping ! Was told that there was no one there! the young girl was on her own trying to run two hotels at the same time, so she had to close reception at the old lion to bring me some sheets& helped me change them . She saw both room's condition & offered me complimentary breakfast for my trouble!Unfair !There was only one plastic chair in the room& no where to put your luggage, it was so small, you couldn't swing a cat!The queen sized bed is two singles put together!Also air con was so noisy, I had to switch it off& sit in bed baring the heat ,Couldn't wait for the morning to leave!It ruined the happy occasion for me!! Sue .

Room Tip: I am not sure what the rest of the rooms like in this place? But the rooms I was given twice they we...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank suzy e
Greg_Vaughton, Manager at Majestic Minima Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Dear suzy e
I appreciate the comments you have made about our property. Upon check in we do require guests to provide a credit card for security against their reservation – this is for additional cost or damage that may be incurred during the stay and it is unfortunate that this has caused some confusion during the process. In response to your comments about the rooms we have considered this matter a priority and have addressed the issue immediately however as you can see from other comments – although not acceptable for your stay - this is an isolated incident.
We pride ourselves on affordable accommodation (mini-rooms at a mini-price) without the extra’s you might often pay for (and often never use). We constantly promote that our rooms at this hotel are very modern and have king size beds - but emphasise that they are small – at around 14 sqm. This is one of the reasons why guests pay around $100 for a room compared to twice that at many hotels. We appreciate that this hotel is not to everyone’s taste but as you can see by other comments, it is more than enough for some travelers – especially those that are just looking for a small, clean and comfortable place to sleep at a very reasonable rate without those extras.
It is unfortunate that you found your stay to cause inconvenience to your interstate travels but if you would ever consider staying with us again – please contact me directly so I can assure you have a more comfortable experience.

And once again thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

Small clean and a good place at reasonablr rates if you are looking for a place to sleep. Good for the business traveller. Close to restaurants.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

Dear Memboss

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our property, I appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 9 January 2012

Just needed a quiet cool clean comfy bed for 8 hours and this is what I got. Very reasonably priced at less than 100 pn. Rooms are small but hey if youre only there to sleep then its perfect. Full toiletries S&C, SG, soap in rooms which is great also tea coffee bar fridge Are bonuses. It's on outer edge of CBD and out of my walking distance to rundle mall but it is possible. Great coffee, food and fashion shops directly out front of hotel. Parking on site undercover is OK, unsure how much it cost though . Check -in procedure is my only gripe. I tried to auto check in late at10pm only to find that they checked in someone else under my name ! I then had to walk 400m to their other office to re-do paperwork. Massive inconvenience. Not entirely convinced about the self check -in they are utilising . Nonetheless had a great sleep at a great price and in future will stay again as is great value for a good nights rest.

• Stayed: January 2012

Dear Sedgmoornae

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our property, I appreciate the positive comments our accommodation and the amenities available within our rooms. Our while not within the CBD is only minutes by vehicle or a pleasant stroll through the parklands to all city attractions. It was disappointing to hear of the inconvenience caused upon arrival despite your comfortable nights sleep. I appreciate your comments and do hope you will stay with us again.