“Family run business. Never Fails.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Clarion Hotel Soho

Clarion Hotel Soho
Ranked #34 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Melbourne, Australia
“Family run business. Never Fails.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

I have stayed here numerous times over a three year period and time and time again my stays have been nothing short of satisfactory. I stay in a balcony suite every time, and I enjoy this particular room as it is tremendously spacious. Early check is also never a problem. I like the decor which is fresh and modern without being too overdone. The bathroom is small but clean and recently the shower heads have been changed from the terrible water saver type to one which gushes with water - making for a great shower! The are always a few small minor things that one could make a fuss about but who really cares in the scheme of things when all else is good. This particular time the TV is not working but I hardly watch so no big deal. I requested my room be cleaned early today and was politely told by James at reception it would be cleaned after 1pm as the departures are always cleaned first... This was no problem as I understand it is a small boutique hotel with only limited cleaning staff but this would not happen were I staying at a major hotel eg. Intercontinental/Hyatt etc. I was annoyed also with the male on evening reception who, when I asked for additional towels, insisted that I use the spare towels in the wardrobe. I had already used these though. Again, this would not happen at a major hotel. It would be more a case of 'yes ma'am' no questions asked - which is the kind of thing I like. The male on evening reception provided me the requested towels not 5 minutes later and very politely informed me he was just making sure I knew of the spare towels first. Nice save. I like this hotel a lot. I think its reasonably priced, it is fabulously located - close to the action and not too out of the way. I recommend it to others and when guests visit me here, they too say they would stay here! Also, the room service is up there with the best I have had - the evening dinners in room and in the restaurant from Decant are exxy but superb. I really have no idea what other reviewers are so disgruntled about - I never review but I am staying here right now and thinking when I can come back. Its a great place to stay, and I will continue to do so. MS

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

The Clarion Hotel Soho proved to be very comfortable. The room (a corner king room) was large and clean, the bed comfortable. The bathroom was usual size. The area the hotel in was quiet therefore the room was quiet.
The Decant restaurant downstairs proved a good place for tired travellers to eat. The eye fillet steak was delicious. The staff were friendly and helpful. Would I stay there again - yes I would but only if I got another deal as I would not be prepared to pay full price for the room, it is not worth that. The orange ceiling was interesting - but was OK with the greys and dead browns in the room. Points to improve - first night no bathmat. This is definitely needed as the shower is only half screened - always a mistake as the bathroom floor always gets wet (unless it is a huge shower). Second night came in and we were not given clean towels - but did have a bathmat! This was not good, as the used towels were still there and as one towel had been used as a bathmat, they were not going to be used as bathtowels again until washed. So a call to reception was required to get 2 clean bathtowels. The balcony doors were filthy on the outside (which was a bit offputting), the balcony itself was not clean either and had a cigarette but on it. I think a blanket should be provided. The doona was too hot, even when turning the heating down.

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

Despite the negative reviews below, me and my boyfriend's experience of the hotel was quite fantastic.

We are both locals, and visited the hotel in the last week of August to celebrate our anniversary. We booked a Spa Room in early July through Wotif for $229, that is, before the group buying deal came through. We choose the hotel based on its proximity to Hutt Street and the price. Few weeks prior to our weekend away, I was reading TripAdvisor reviews (mostly coupon users) and was rather worried that the Hotel may not be quite what we expected.

Nevertheless, we were very pleased with our stay. The Spa Room on level 5 was clean and large and despite being a corner bath, it was plenty big to fit both of us. There was a glass panel between the spa and the main room, viewable from both sides. The rooms had windows that fully open, facing Tucker Street. The iPod dock was a nice touch, and the mini bar selection was fantastic. The rooftop pool was warm and pleasant even in the night chills. We had requested a late (12 noon) checkout for no extra cost. We did not dine at Decant as we already made arrangements elsewhere.

James, Ricky and especially Anthony were extremely helpful and accommodating. We were pleased at our first day of stay we decided to stay another night. I called the front desk at 11:30 asking for an extension, and was told by Anthony the Spa Rooms were booked out for the weekend and we will have to downgrade to a different room. It was an absolute last minute decision and I could tell it was inconvenient as housekeeping were already servicing level 5. Nevertheless, we were moved to a Studio Room on level 2 shortly after. The rate was $159. Front desk looked after our bags while we went to get brunch, and had already placed them in the rooms for us when we got back. The front desk staff also learned my name and was able to address me without prompt when we approached for assistance.

The Studio Room was roughly the same size, with a shower instead of a spa. This room was decent. Perhaps like some of the earlier reviews say, not immaculately clean, but clean enough. I have stayed in many hotels locally and overseas, and the level of cleanliness and maintenance is quite reasonable. The shower showed some water damage, and the drinking tap handle did not hold in place, but none of this was essential and did not bother us. We couldn't get some of the Foxtel channels to work, but neither of us watch TV so we did not bother contacting front desk for help.

The 4 star rating is to mostly reflect the deficiency in non essential maintenance. It does not effect the quality our stay per se, but as a reviewer below said, the room would most certainly have looked great when it was first renovated.

All in all, we had a great weekend, and will most certainly return.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

My partner organised this hotel for my birthday weekend in Adelaide in July 2012. To be honest the place overall failed to impress which was disappointing. We stayed for 2 nights dining at the in house restaurant "Decant" on the first night. Although just ok the meal was not great, overrated, very overpriced for the quality of meal served and service was below average (surprising since they were fully booked). I was expecting so much more particularly after such rave reviews by the staff. We chose to eat at Jolley's Boathouse Restaurant on the second night which was awesome! I agree with that of another reviewer over the general cleanliness of our room. It was average and not that clean. Maintenance and overall upkeep of the room seemed to be lacking. When the hotel was renovated I'm sure the room would have looked great but it is such a shame that they have failed to maintain rooms properly over time. Our shower in particular was dirty with heavy mould and soap scum, it also flooded the bathroom floor each time due to a very poor design. It seems we were not the first to experience this during our stay as evidence of prior water damage was clearly visible. Hotel location is not great and not much is around. My suggestion look elsewhere as something is not quite right with this hotel, hit & miss I'm thinking. It appeared most guests staying the same weekend as us had purchased a coupon deal or similar. As they say you get what you pay for.....

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aussie_Traveller1970
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

My boyfriend booked two nights at Clarion Soho on Flinders St. for a wekeend getaway through scoopon. We had very high expectations as the website is full of pretty pictures of the room. However, when we got there to check in, the gentleman at the reception was very unwelcoming. He told us that he was trying to start his shift and was not able to do so as everyone kept walking in at the same time. He asked my name and then he couldn't find it on his list and when I pointed out the very first name on the list as mine he snapped back saying why I didnt tell him my last name as all computer records start with the last name! So much for a good start.

There was no one to help us with our bags, no carpark (all of them have time limits), no housekeeping after 2 pm! We couldn't find a foxtel sports channel and the same guy who checked us in came to the room to have a look at it. He said he needed to call Melbourne but that was that. He didnt get back to us with what was happening and when we left the hotel to watch the game somewhere else he didnt even make an attempt to apologise or offer any other arrangements.

The bathroom was tiny but the rest of the room wasn't too bad. We have been to other hotels around adelaide and this is the first time we have been disappointed. Customer service really makes or breaks your experience and this time it really ruined our stay

We do not recommend this place and we won't go back again.

3 Thank Shweta G

Travellers are raving about these Adelaide hotels