“A nice place to eat Indian close to home”
Review of Ruby Raja

Ruby Raja
Ranked #364 of 1,907 Restaurants in Adelaide
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 20 December 2017

We went for my Son's birthday dinner. The place appears to be an old pub which has been beautifully restored. The staff were right with it and understood that I had a booking and cheerfully took us to our table. The menu was fairly comprehensive and we started with an Appetiser of Onion Bhaji. The main serves were Chicken Tikka Masala, Aloo Chicken and Chicken Madras. We had rice and Garlic Naan with them.

The Bhaji was very nice and we enjoyed it a lot. The bread was extremely generous and was more like a Roti and was perfect for sopping up our dinners. The outstanding thing about all these dishes was the generous servings. I am just about over these places that charge full price for four pieces of meat the size of sugar cubes. We each got a real plate load of delicious food. I loved the Tikka used in the Masala. No cut corners here, they were apparently cooked in a Tandoor before being baptised in sauce.

Nothing is perfect of course, I would have preferred more spice but I bet if I asked they would have obliged. Also there is precious little parking. We came early and had no problem but I don't know how you would go if you came at 7:00 for example.

Overall, if you are in the area and want to try a different place for Indian, try the Ruby Raja.

Date of visit: December 2017

Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

My partner & I came here for a quiet dinner. The atmosphere is great with the small rooms. I loved the Vegetarian tali plate! Best Indian I've had outside of India!

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

The meals were delicious and enjoyable. The atmosphere was good and the service was nice too.
We ordered the naan breads and they were yummy. The only problem we had was the rice. We didn't think the rice was basmati. Tasted like plain long grain cooked in tumeric water and the serve was small. We had to order 6 serves to satisty my teenager kids and husband bellies. The rice alone cost us $18. A bit of rip off I reckoned.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 12 October 2017

Having spent many an evening enjoying the great food here over the years, my family decided to try the take-away service for the first time in a long time. Phone ordering was great and the food was ready as per when we were advised after ordering.

The quality of the food was a let down sadly. The 6 curries ordered were all lacking in taste when sampled by my family group. It was a shame as the food here has, in the past been very good. We do not believe the quality should differ between eat in or take away?

Something to consider next time.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

This restaurant is becoming a bit hit and miss as far as the service is concerned. The staff seemed to be having a grand old party out in the kitchen while we the customers were left wondering where our food was. A one and a half meal turned into three hours.

However, I have to admit that the food was very good and ca't really be faulted. Indeed I would have to say that their beef vindaloo is one of the best in Adelaide, if not the best. The staff just need a bit of adult supervision in order to make it a first class restaurant.

Date of visit: July 2017
RubyRaja, Manager at Ruby Raja, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2017

Hi Alex

I am sorry that your wait was longer than usual at our restaurant and that you found the service lacking.

I would like to reassure you that our floor and kitchen staff take their jobs very seriously and would be disappointed at your assertion that they would be partying rather than serving customers.

The reason your meal would have taken longer to arrive was due to a far busier than expected evening which is not always possible to predict.

Thank you for your positive comments on our food and hopefully next time you dine at Ruby's you will find it a more enjoyable experience.