“Cant beat the view!”
Review of Reef View Hotel

Reef View Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Hamilton Island
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I was originally booked in a bungalow but was upgraded to the hotel upon arrival which is nice because the view from my balcony was breathtaking. The room was huge and only had a few drawbacks. The bathroom was also huge but a little run down looking and the bedroom smelled a little moldy to me. Warning - always close your balcony doors or the cockatoos will come in and have a party on your bed. I came back to my room to find that all my food had been eaten and that there was bird poop all over the bed. I called housekeeping and someone came right away to clean it but instead of getting me a new bedspread they just wiped the poop off....

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank SueMPA

Reviewed 3 April 2012

We were in Australia for 10 days. We spent 6 days on Hamilton Island and 4 days in Sydney. Our best vacation to date. Hamilton Island is just gorgeous. A trip to the Great Barrier Reef is a must. The 20 hour flight from Canada is well worth the trip to Hamilton Island. Hamilton Island is pricey but worth every last dollar. If you are on a budget, I suggest you pick a different location. Everything is shipped in, so be prepared to pay the extra cost.

Only negative comment we have is, the Reefview Hotel could use some improvements. In particular, daily housekeeping is very sparse....don't expect more than fresh towels, beds made and take out the trash. We found the bathrooms were never cleaned nor were the floors ever swept or vacuumed. Further its time they replace the old pillows and bring in a fresh set that are actually comfortable. All of this would not prevent us from visiting Hamilton Island, only thing is next time we will stay in a private residence or cabin.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank SonnyYVR
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We spent 5 night at the Reef View, staying on the 9th floor. I travel regularly around the world, and would have to rate this as one of the better locations I have been to. The views are fantasic, great location and fantastic concept covering the whole island (food, activities and entertainement). While we enjoyed all aspects of our trip, I have to say that the only negative was the lack of service (which seems to be a regular observation when reading other reviews). We continually had to request people to make up our room, fix the TV and help with other items. Based on the lack of service levels (which in my view needs management attention), I would rate this 2 or best case 3 stars. If you take service levels aside, this is a great resort.

• Stayed: March 2012
Hamilton_Island_Aus, General Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Hello TrevorBurchell,

Thanks for your review. Service is a top priority for us and it’s never a good feeling to hear that a guest hasn’t received the level of service that they deserve while staying with us. Therefore, I’d like to apologise to you for your disappointment. I hope you choose to stay at Reef View Hotel again the next time you visit the island. I’m sure you will be delighted by the service.

Kind Regards,

Matt Boileau
Reef View Hotel and Palm Bungalows

Reviewed 30 March 2012

We stayed just one night at the Reef View hotel - it wasn't busy so we were a bit disappointed to be given a room on a low floor so we only had a view of trees until we stood on a chair - then we could see the sea :)

The room and bathroom was very spacious but bathroom was not cleaned to our standard. The Bath was full of hairs so we asked for it to be cleaned - we waited and waited and had to call again - apparently the cleaner was sent to the wrong room.

There seemed little staff around and they didnt seem particularly friendly. The young lady at check in was not interested in us at all - and there was no concierge around until the second day.

There was a long wait for check out with only two staff - one of which was busy arguing with customers about being charged for leaving early - there had clearly been a misunderstanding. This did not bode well for customers listening - whatever happened to "the customer is always right"?

My husband gashed his leg twice on the end of the bed where the corner peice of the bed was missing - we mentioned this at check out and showed the scars but no offer of recompence was made for any discomfort - we were just thanked for bringing it to their attention so they could get it fixed.
At this point the manager joined in the argument at the next desk...... I dont think we will be returning :)

Room Tip: Higher floors have a view!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank wishIcouldretire
Hamilton_Island_Aus, Manager at Reef View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Hello wishIcouldretire,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I’d like to apologise for the disappointing aspects of your stay that you mentioned in your review.
I was concerned to read the feedback about the room condition and housekeeping standards you received. Although this feedback is uncommon it was extremely important to me to personally investigate to ensure accurate room reviews are done and guest experiences remain our priority within operations and culture. I have met with Housekeeping staff to speak about your review and we have agreed on some slight operational changes to improve our housekeeping process. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
I hope that you reconsider your intention not to come back again. We would love to have the chance to change your mind.

Sincerely

Jared Saxon
Hotel Operations Manager
Reef View Hotel & Palm Bungalows

Reviewed 25 March 2012

We stayed on the 17th floor in a double storey room, upon arrival there was a personalised card from the manager and a bottle of red pinot noir wine. Unsure of the other rooms as we were on the top floor, so the view probably isnt as good but the service is exceptional. The bathroom was enormous and had a lovely spa bath. The view was amazing and in the afternoons around 4pm we would be able to see the sea turtles going out into the ocean. Be mindful to lock your doors or the cockatoos will pick the locks and come in. there are hundreds of them on the balcony in the afternoon. Breakfast had a great selection and the pool area was quite nice. The great thing about this hotel is that they are affiliated with 3 others which means you can eat breakfast at any of these restuarants which mixes up the morning and can be a nice change. hamilton is great for pool hopping as you do not need to be a guest to use other resorts pools. The "zoo" is more like a pet store, and is not worth the $20 entry fee. Went on a heli ride which was spectacular. Must see the reefs from the air and you are likely to see Sharks and Manta Rays and turtles from the heli.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Beach Club
Beach Club
#2 of 5 in Hamilton Island

Recently Reviewed Hotels around Hamilton Island

Been to Reef View Hotel? Share your experiences!