“i won my stay here, but even if i'd had to pay- i think it would have been worth it”

Kingfisher Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fraser Island
Mackay, Australia
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I'm from Mackay- and went to this year's Harvey World Travel Expo- everyone that entered the expo had to fill in a little slip and put it in the draw, to possibly win some holiday or other -I hadn't won anything much in my life other than a bottle of rum and a packet of Wagon Wheels, so I wasn't expecting anything. but a week or two later, I got a call; my prize: two nights at fingfisher, on fraser island, barge transfer to and from, full buffet breakfast.
Even though it was prize, we were treated very well- even after with a misunderstanding with the transport to the barge, we weren't made to feel terrible for our mistake.
The people at reception were very nice and helpful- every time we asked them something, they answered every query with a smile.
It was like staying in a giant tree house- and I say that with absolute affection - our breakfasts were absolutely incredible- there was a MASSIVE array and variety (due to an earlier leg of our trip, I gave the toast, scrambled eggs and bacon a wide berth- this is no slur on the quality I saw, with the fluffy eggs and crispy bacon)- in both hot and cold sections there was no shortage.
I didn't feel like we were being rushed- Mom's only complaint was the salt and pepper shakers didn't work, and I had to get one from another table, but that's really a very minor irritation.
We went to the general store/ souvenier shop- and spent up big- there were so many beautiful things there.
We went on a bush medicine walk- it was good and informative - and we went to the cafe for lunch [they have different places for different budgets, which is good]. there was a photographic gallery inside- and they were just spectacular pieces, we'd end up getting 4.
We dressed for our night walk, walked to the jetty to take pictures of the sunset, then went to Seabelle for dinner (pricey, yes- but we wanted to experience the whole bush tucker thing- and they were INCREDIBLE). Mom's calamari and crocodile entree was INSANELY good- our mains were another level of brilliant. unfortunately, to make our bush walk, we had to pass up dessert- or so we orginally thought- Mom decided to ask- they're open til 9- and we could eat til 9.30, so we went on our excursion- disappointingly, there were virtually no animals and it was impossible to take pictures at night- we saw fish jumping out of the water, but we didn't get to snap them.
We got back and got dessert- and we were kind of glad that we went on our walk first, considering how filling dinner was - the choc wattleseed tart was to die for.
Our room was nice and well appointed - I have no complaints, except that I wish we'd stayed another day.
I wrote a thank-you note before we left, to show how much we appreciated the warm and professional welcome and treatment we got.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 19 September 2012

While Fraser Island is beatufil no wonder the Kingfisher Bay Resort did not sell when up for sale?
Have been asking for 2 days now to have the bathroom light fixed, also due to toilet leaking the bathroom floor has become an OH&S due to the toilet system leaking the floor is wet and slippery.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Lauren H
WKahl, General Manager at Kingfisher Bay Resort, responded to this review, 22 September 2012
Dear Lauren H,

Thank you for your candid feedback in regards to your stay at Kingfisher bay resort.

Please accept my personal apologies for the delay in fixing your light this was missed on our Maintenance log when you first reported it however was done on the follow up phone call from yourself.

I note there is no reference on our maintenance log from you in regards to a leaking toilet, please be assured that our guest safety is a priority.

Apart from the issues you have raised can I please request that you contact me regarding the rest of your stay so that I can gauge if there were any other issues that affected your stay with us.

Please contact me on resort_manager@kingfisherbay.com at you convenience.
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Rooms are rather basic with cheap spring mattresses that leave you with a sore back in the mornings. Color schemes and interior are straight from the 80s. Front desk service was pathetic. We asked about late check out options but never got a call as promised.. We were asked to check out 10 am or pay 50% of daily room charge (for 2h extension) despite we were booked on a 2 pm ferry. The tours offered by hotel are way overpriced. Bus tour of the island with buffet lunch costs AU$ 155 per person - that is a rip off. If you are more than two people and not afraid of driving on sandy roads, you can rent 4WD from Aussie Trax office at the hotel for AU$ 275 per day + $40 park fee + gas (still a rip off). We were really disappointed that swimming on the the great Fraser island beaches was not possible due to strong currents and sharks in the water...

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mikaramram
Dear Mikaramram,

Thank you for your candid comments in relation to your stay at Kingfisher bay resort.

In regards to your feedback about the late checkout fee, if requesting a later check out the resort will be flexible with you regarding any charges that may be incurred however this will be done on a request basis and in line resort occupancy, on review of the operations log I can see that you did speak to one of the Front office staff and they did give the information as requested however on your second enquiry the front office did not return your call, please accept my apologises for this.

In regards to your comment in relation to the Touring price, the tour that you are referring to is our Beauty Spots Tour which is one of our most popular tours offered by Kingfisher Bay Resort and receives fantastic reviews from our guests that choose to see what Fraser Island has to offer. On reviewing our Tours records it does not show if you chose to go on the Beauty Spots Tour.

If you did attend I would be interested to see your feedback in regards to the content of the tour.
As a note we also have a large range of other half Days tours and personalized tours for all budgets, all of which allow our guests to see the best parts of the island.

The 4wd hire that you mention is also a fantastic way to see the island for the more adventurist guest who would like to their hand on the 4wd tracks.

Again as mentioned above I look forward to your comments if you did go on the Beauty Spots Tour.

Please feel free to email me on resort_manager@kingfisherbay.com
Mooloolaba, Australia
Reviewed 15 September 2012

If gourmet travel is your mantra the standard of fare is dismal, but if charming caring staff, clean rooms, comfortable beds, if all-round first class management rates with you then Kingfisher despite being an island and having to transport everything from the mainland by barge ticks all boxes except the amateurish offering from all the food outlets.

I cannot explain why a General Manager who has the talent to weld together a team of excellent people cannot do the same with the kitchens.

The breakfast buffet lacks pride and care, baked beans, the staple sausages unless slathered with tomato sauce are a disaster even the old faithful bacon suffers from frypan abuse.

It is very easy to criticise restaurants in the manner of the nit picking Trip adviser wingers , but my complaint is that the General Manager of this grand old resort should demand that the Chefs try to attain a standard which lives up to excellence set by the other departments.

Do not dare to take your own our wheel drive into the interior as the terrain is all but impassable. instead hire the huge four wheel drives from the Auz Car people who are experts, informative and share the same ethic of excellence as the Management staff.

I headed with sweating brow towards Lake McKenzie reaching it 10 kilometers and one hour later.Stopping to regain courage I enquired of a Tourist car driver what the route was like to the east beach side, he said " if you want to get there , drive that Four Wheel drive as if you Stole it",

I reversed and fought my way back to the resort.

I did not see a dingo, but oh boy! did we see whales,

Brilliant destination, a hamper of good food would make it truly 5 star.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Peter B
Dear Peter B,

Thank you for your detailed review of your stay at Kingfisher Bay resort.

I am disappointed to note your comments in regards to our Food and beverage offerings at the resort.

In regards to the Breakfast Buffet that you have commented on, the Executive Chef and I will be workshopping this with his staff to see what areas can be improved upon, including Trip advisor comments.

On review of your stay I also notice that you dined twice in our Award winning Seabelle Restaurant, as a note Seabelle has been nominated for the Hall of Fame in the for the 2013 Awards and I would be interested in further feedback from yourself as to your dining experience in relation to it, as there is no feedback relating to this in your trip advisor comments.

In regards to your comments about your 4WD experience we have unfortunately had very little rain in the past few weeks which does make the driving a little more challenging however positive feedback from a very large proportion of our guests that do bring their own 4wd it is part of the fun of owning a 4wd and visiting Fraser island. I will pass on your positive staff comments to the Aussie Trax team.

I do note that you enjoyed all other aspects of your visit and I will pass on your positive feedback of the staff to the Kingfisher bay Team.

As mentioned above I would like to receive further feedback in relation to your dining at Seabelle, as such could I please request that you contact me on resort_manager@kingfisherbay.com

The Kingfisher Bay team wishes you well on your future travels.
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 September 2012

After picking up a 4x4 in Hervey Bay, my wife and I travelled to Fraser Island with my parents-in-law. We stayed in a two bedroom villa, which was peaceful and well equipped (the villas are privately owned and let/managed by Kingfisher Bay Resort, hence each one can have subtle differences but all come with a full kitchen, utensils, lounge, dining area etc). This meant we were a three minute walk away from the main 'hotel' building, looking out on bush and ocean.

We found the villa to be more than adequate, allowing us to be self-sufficient. For us, it cost the same as two hotel rooms in the main building. The resort is more geared towards adults and those wishing to explore the island. If you plan to travel around Fraser Island, a robust 4x4 is essential. Walks are possible from Kingfisher Bay Resort, but as it is on the west side of the island and 75 Mile Beach is on the east coast (approx 10-12kms away) transport really is a must.

When we had any requests (e.g. extra coffee/sugar for the villa, a broken satellite TV connection, details regarding ferry times) our requests were always dealt with promptly and efficiently by friendly staff. I wouldn't recommend staying here if you wanted to stay in the resort all the time and had a number of young children, as they could get bored, but it's a great base to explore Fraser Island from. Also, from what we saw on our travels around the island, Kingfisher Bay Resort is the most modern and best-equipped accommodation on the island - something to also bear in mind when booking somewhere to stay on Fraser Island.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Phileas_Fogg1
Dear Phileas_Fogg1

Thank you for your very detailed feedback regarding your stay at Kingfisher Bay resort.

You are correct in saying that Kingfisher is a great place to base yourself whilst you are exploring Fraser Island.

I note your comment in regards to children’s activities, at Kingfisher we have a number of activities from Fishing clinics to Junior Eco ranges as well as a large number of resort based walks for all ages to participate in.

I will pass on your positive comments about the prompt and efficient staff to the Resort team.

We wish you well on your future travels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fraser Island
Fraser Island Retreat
#4 of 4 in Fraser Island
11.8 km away
Oceans Resort & Spa Hervey Bay

Been to Kingfisher Bay Resort? Share your experiences!