New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“MIKE BALL ALL THE WAY - Absolutely amazing :D” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Great Barrier Reef

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
ENGLAND
40 helpful votes
“MIKE BALL ALL THE WAY - Absolutely amazing :D”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

The Great Barrier Reef is amazing in its own right but I dont think there can be many better ways to see it than with Mike Ball Dive Expeditions on Spoilsport.

Although the boat and the food were fabulous, the staff are the true stars of the show, entirely professional, very knowledgeable and lots of fun :) They brief you very well on all of the dive sites and their main features, sometimes it seems they even map the fish as they're often right where they say they are! Its then down to the individual diver as to whether they go with a guide or not. We did a mixture of both and had a fab time. They are pretty excellent at spotting things though.

We did the 3 day Cod Hole trip but will definitely be back one day to do the Coral Sea. Dive conditions are great, "bad" visibility is 20-25m so pretty stellar by the standards of many other countries (Especially the UK!) and there is plenty for the macro lovers too, nudibranchs galore! The reef out at the ribbon reefs is also in much better condition than that closer to the mainland.

If you have time and can be flexible, its WELL worth waiting for a last minute standby cabin. You can get some excellent deals as we did if you wait until 3 days before the trip departs. Equally though, its going to be worth whatever you pay. There is also something for any diver regardless of experience, I did my 50th dive on board and my partner his 40th but there were fresh OW divers on board and also some who hadnt dove in a while and there is always the option to snorkel or pass on a dive if you dont fancy it or want to visit the bar instead.

Enough from me, GO and experience it yourself and you will soon rave too :)

3 Thank Stephanie B
Brisbane, Australia
86 helpful votes
“Mike Ball Diving is BEST DIVE TRIP EVER”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2011

Mike Ball Diving Coral Sea Fly/Dive is the best dive trip ever
Amazing diving, great boat, fantastic crew, awesome food and you fly over the reef. This trip is 6 star. Absolutely brilliant.

5 Thank rachelsmithtorquay
Washington DC, District of Columbia
15 helpful votes
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2009

I studied abroad in Australia and took a spring break trip to Cairns for 10 days. While there I knew a trip to the Great Barrier Reef was a must! I love to go snorkeling but since I was planing to go to the Great Barrier Reef I thought this was a good of a time as any to try scuba diving. I was not let down! The reef was just simply amazing. Even when I went snorkeling after the dive I was able to see many fish without diving underneath. Only now, 2 years later to I realize how preserved the reef was. There was an abundance of wildlife all around. I lost count of how many clown fish (nemo) I saw! I also saw turtles, and all sorts of tropical fish. I feel like the Great Barrier Reef spoiled me, because now snorkeling is not the same.

Highly recommend going just make sure you do your research and find a great guide!

2 Thank Zisil86
Nowhere illinois
26 helpful votes
“Like no where else in the world”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2009

A must do when in Cairns/Port douglas. We booked a helicopter/snorkel combination tour with Viator and also a scuba diving trip with Deep sea Divers Den. Loved them both. Also if you are near Cairns/Port douglas & want to go to the Daintree Rainforest- then look at my review in my profile for Back Country Bliss Adventure Tours-it is also a must do!! I advise taking anti motion sick pills even if you are not normally sea sick because the waves are really big getting out to the reef!!! Glad I did or I would have been sick all day.

1 Thank robin r
Brisbane
6 helpful votes
“Diving in the Great Barrier Reef of Cairns (Season advice).”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2009

To all divers from all over the world who are planning to come to dive in North Queensland, do not under any circumstances spend your money to come in January-March. This is the cyclone season for North Queensland. Rain is a routine everyday.
Yes, dive companies would welcome you during this time of the year, they will provide the same good service all year round, and the number of dives promised would not be missed. It is just that the sea and the skies would not cooperate.
I went on a 5D4N liveaboard trip, water visibility is just less than 5m. Easy enough to lose your buddy during a dive. Night dives are just a waste of money and time, all you see is sand grains falling like snow in front of your torch. The wave current was too strong, any diver would be ramming coral heads at a depth above 6m.
I am not condemning the whole idea of diving during the cyclone season. Of course, you would see the same creatures like turtles, dolphins, sharks during this time, you just need to do many dives to increase your chances and be lucky enough to randomly get closer than 5m distance to be able to notice one. Hire a dive guide to guarantee encounter because they know the dive sites better.
To conclude, do not think of a dive trip during the cyclone season, especially those who come from far around the world, been saving large sums of money to see the Great Barrier Reef. You wouldn't be seeing the real image of the world's no.1 dive site at this time. To guarantee that, plan your trip during September to November, the time where all those brochure and website photos were taken.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

6 Thank sipadanisland

Been to Great Barrier Reef? Share your experiences!