All reviews billabong sanctuary bruce highway comfortable room air con stopover kettle noise
Reviewed 7 August 2017

Great value, right on the highway, yet quiet with a homely feel. The owners are extremely helpful. I was initially staying one night but ended staying 3 nights, I had been at a festival for 5 days and was in desperate need of a comfortable room, nice shower and easy parking.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank suzkel
Reviewed 7 August 2017

We stayed in one of the family rooms (2 adults and 2 adult children) and it was just what we needed. On the edge of town with pleasant surroundings the room was spacious and well kept. Noise from the Bruce Highway could occasionally be heard as trucks break to enter Townsville but still not a real bother. Owners and staff were friendly and fun. Only drawback was weak wifi at the far end of the building where we were located and we had to sit outside to connect. Might ask for a room closer to the office. Overall though a very good value and we would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Closer to office for better wifi
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank HardtoPlease85741
Reviewed 31 May 2017

This motel is situated close to the Bruce Highway so it is very easily accessed if you are driving. It is clean and tidy and very friendly and helpful staff made a stopover on our way to Airlie Beach a pleasant stay. If you wish to visit Billabong Sanctuary it is only five minutes away.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Gwen J
Reviewed 16 May 2017 via mobile

I looked up a pet friendly motel for a trip to see my friends in Townsville and found the sunbird motel but when i get there at 2am the woman that came to reception was extremely rude and turned me away as they apparently only have one room that allows pets and were unable to help me out. I was treated as though i was a homeless piece of s*** and ended up having to drive back about 50km backwards to find a rest stop to be able to sleep the night and then went to the great 4 they were extremely nice and helpfull. So do yourself a favor and do not go there as you will be treated badly and they are NOT pet friendly at all.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank The Kiwi M
Sunbird M, Owner at Sunbird Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2017

Hi, I am sorry you felt mistreated however in my defence you arrived at the motel at 2am in the morning with no prior warning and all lights including signage were switched off. We do have designated rooms with tile flooring for pets however on the night of your late arrival were not available. I apologise for not having the room you required however if you had telephoned me when you looked up the motel's details, I would have advised you of the situation which would have save your time.

Reviewed 2 May 2017

We were kindly given a lift back to the motel when we were stranded in town at night. Hospitality that is well above and beyond what would normally be expected for a motel. Rooms were very clean and neat, definitely would select this location again.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alice C
Sunbird M, Owner at Sunbird Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2017

Thanks Alice. Glad you both enjoyed the Festival and staying at the motel. It was a pleasure meeting you both. Happy travels.