“Don't judge a book by it's cover! A hidden gem.”

The Tandoori Place Indian Restaurant
Ranked #137 of 387 Restaurants in Surfers Paradise
Price range: USD 20 - USD 24
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Establish since 1984. for Authentic Indian cuisine, (FOR THOSE Who Know THE different) our service to you Dine-in, Takeaway, Home Delivery and catering. Breakfast, lunch ,Diner late till midnight. specialising in Tandoori (clay oven cooking) Curries, sweets and famous Street food whole day service. New web
“Don't judge a book by it's cover! A hidden gem.”
Reviewed 25 August 2011

From the outside this restaurant does not look much, it looks old and hasnt been decorated in years.....The food in this place will blow you away. The waitresses were very discreet, did not rush you at all and were very polite. We had bhajis and samosas which were out of this world, i had a chicken vindaloo (amazing) and my partner had a recommended dish. I can not recommend this food enough it was amazing and most definatly worth a visit. It is also a BYO which is an added bonus!

• Visited August 2011

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great flavours”
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Wait staff were a bit strange, they didn't clear our plates at all, I think they just wait for u to leave. Food was very tasty though. We ordered the butter chicken, lamb korma, coconut rice and garlic roti. I would definately order those dishes again, but I wouldn't order any alcoholic drinks because they pushed our bill up to $88 and they were small glasses of spirits, not worth it.

1 Thank Legeo1
Sandgate
“A good restaurant in Surfers Paradise!”
Reviewed 28 September 2010

Decent food can be very hard to find along the Surfers tourist strip, but this place under the Aegean tower is good and seems to be one of the best in the area at the moment. The restaurant is well presented with ornate Indian decor and a good atmosphere. The large screen showing Bollywood clips is a bit distracting. We were seated fairly quickly although it took 25 minutes for drinks to be served and the food order taken, and then another 30 minutes for the food to arrive. This was not too bad because first poppadoms then the naan bread and accompaniments came out during the wait so at least we had something to nibble on. The coconut covered banana accompaniment was excellent and had mostly been eaten by the time we got the mains.
The butter chicken was delicious, not too rich or creamy, we also had a dry beef curry which was very good, and a dry chicken curry which was still good but not as good as the beef. There is a kids menu of nuggets and the like which my youngest enjoyed, and the food is not spicy in chili unless you request it so my other kids had no problem with it.
There is a limited wine list, one kind of each but the bottle we had was good quality. The only Indian beer sold is Kingfisher. The lime cooler is a bit of a shock to non Indian tastes as it is salty, but the kids liked the lassi.
This was a well presented and very enjoyable restaurant which is kid friendly. We did have some hesitation about going because there are a couple of bad reviews around but we are glad we did and we will go there again.

2 Thank Jafdip
melbourne
“Terrible Service, Rude staff”
Reviewed 1 August 2010

NEVER go to this restaurant. It looks all fancy but the service is terrible. Not being a fan of Indian food anyway, I decided to give this place a shot on my holiday. The staff are quite uptight and didn't allow us to share my food with my friends on the same table. We wanted to try each other's food as Indian food is quite new to us. They also made a fuss when we wanted to order one dish first to see if we liked it and then make subsequent orders and they forced us to order all together and they were quite rude about it. There are much better, cheaper + friendlier Indian restaurants around and I recommend that you go to other places than this one. Don't be fooled by the nice decor! The food is just average.

1 Thank tinuviel01
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,302 helpful votes
“Fantastic Indian Food”
Reviewed 10 March 2010

I ate at this restaurant 3 times over my stay at the Gold Coast. Had a great meal every time. The ambiance is authentic Indian and the outside of the restaurant is surrounded by water. Very relaxing. The menu is extensive so there are plenty of choices for all tastes.

At lunch there is a special under $12. I had this as a takeaway and this included entree, 2 mains, rice, pappadams and naan bread. Great value.

3 Thank tommomelbourne