“A not so good start ends well.”

Surf Regency Apartments
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I had a wonderful stay at this propery. We had a 2brm apartment on the 9th floor on the south side of the building. A balcony facing the front to the wonderful ocean views, as well as a balcony facing out the back was a treat. When the sea breeze picks up out the front, the back is nicely sheltered. Basically the apartment was the length of one side of the building so we had views on 3 sides. The bathrooms were both newly reno'd and fresh and clean. The carpet was new-ish and clean as were the bedspreads and sheets. The pillows were comfortable and there was plenty of seating (we had a number of guests). The kitchen was a little tired but overall not too bad. I would have liked a vegetable steamer, a few plastic containers and a large salad bowl, but it certainly wasn't going to ruin my day.
As with many of the apartments for rent on the coast, these are individually owned within the one building. I guess there is some sort of minimum standard but is the owner of the individual apartment who decorates and renovates. One apartment in the block may be fabulous and another, well, not so fabulous. I have experienced this before and did initally experience it at Surf Regency.
We arrived after hours and collected the key from the safe. Having spoken to the manager a few days before I knew my request for a high floor was noted and I was on the 11th. However I looked at my key and noticed the room number - 204!!!! The frst night we stayed in 204 and were moved to 901 on day 2. There was a mix up I won't bother explaining. Suffice to say I was 'not happy Jan'.
204 was not very nice. A reno'd kitchen but one of the bathrooms was mouldy and not the sort of mould a cleaner can remove. Old non flat screen tellie, hideous decor and a pool view with an ocean glimpse. It was a bit depressing and I was glad to get out.
Cavill Mall is 3 blocks away if the kids fancy a look at that scene, the pool is a reasonable size and heated, the public areas are tidy and the beach is pretty much across the road!
Walking a couple of blocks in the opposite direction from the beach there are plenty of casual restaurants, an IGA supermarket and Q1 is a block away. The Uni Games were on so I did use ear plugs at night!
It's not flashest joint on the coast, but is in a fabulous location with great views, (9th floor and above are best as there is a low rise building in front). It is a 3 star property with 3 star facilities, but for our needs on this particular trip, that was fine. I'd stay there again but I would want to know about the apartment I was being allocated.

Room Tip: 9th floor and above. Revovated. South or north side facing the beach.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank jane s

Reviewed 3 October 2011

I stayed at Surf Regency for ten nights in September 2011.
We were greeted by the phone at the door and stood outside at 8pm waiting for them to find our booking (knowing that we were arriving at this time on this date). After discussing our booking for 20 minutes, they relised that they had made an error and someone came down to let us in.
We got our key and proceeded up to our room. There were two rooms, in which one had an ensuite.
*First of all the fan/light in the second room had no switch and would not work at all. This is an issue as you cant see anything with the bedside lamp!! After telling receition of this the following day was told that there is a switch and its on the wall... No there is no switch at all.
*The sheets seemed clean although the top blanket was horrable, stained and old (in both rooms).
*We had a rather uncomforable bed as requested two doubbles and one bed was two singles pushed together.
*The blinds were mouldy and right beside my pillow so was not impressed.
*Slider door in room was broken and unable to be moved or closed (yay no privacy)
*6 out of 13 light bulbs where blown in the appartment, not inlcuding the bedroom main light that didnt work at all.
*No goodmorning or general hello from receiption ever.
*One towel provided per person per stay, and extras can be purchased from receiption for 5 dollars a towel.
We were very unhappy with out stay. Good location, although everything else is a big let down.

We will be sorting other accommodation in the future. Steer clear of Surf Regency.

Room Tip: Ask for the room in the photo. Or dont stay.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank Richard B
Reviewed 13 August 2011

The accommodation was nicely presented with well manicured gardens and clean accommodation. The views were great and the managers were very hospitable. It is close to everything making shops, entertainment and restaurants very accessible. We enjoyed our stay and plan to return very soon.

Room Tip: If you want good, well priced accommodation in a great location then this one is for you.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lewis P
Reviewed 4 July 2011

the one bedroom apartment was as advertised and more with stupendous ocean views! the apartment was very clean and well maintained as well. it was close to the main shopping stretch with many restaurants nearby. absolutely great value!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 2012collingwood
Reviewed 16 April 2011

A group of friends and I stayed at the Surf Regency over the weekend of the All Stars game in 2011, it was in a reall handy spot close to everything on the GC and the view from our room was amazing.
The pool and spa was great on the ground level and there was also a fantastic spa, sauna & BBQ area on the roof.
We had 10 in our group and had 2 rooms between us, is was a great place to stay for a great price.
Cheers!