New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Alpha Sovereign Hotel
Ranked #16 of 33 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
“My review.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

As a chef and have worked in many hotels in Brisbane as a breakfast chef and a night chef I was quite disgusted with the buffet. Everything was wrong with it and then to make matters wOrse a child dropped his hash browns On the ground and proceeded to pick it all up throwing back into the buffet. Food safety?? No avocado available? The stay was good but the food terrible. They need to work on that.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Sharonlouise87

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

Wow, after reading all the terrible reviews I was a litlte worried to stay here but after booking a Wotif.com deal, I was locked in! We arrived and just loved the place. Reception was lovely, so very nice and bubbly! Free magazines too! :-) We also thought our room *1 bedroom* was great and it had lots of room and sure, it's a bit 'old fashioned' and dated but really, I've paid double the money to stay in studio apartment rooms that were miniature and offered nothing. This was fabulous! We loved the buffet breaky, staff were nice, had gorgeous Hinterland views and we loved the pool and spa/gym/games room. Totally recommend!!!

Room Tip: 1 Bedroom is nice and spacious! Huge lounge/dining/kitchen area and the bedroom was great. Excellent...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank missblonde20
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Wot if mystery stay. Excellent service. Great convenience store. Restaurant food disappointing but cheap. Room layout good. Carpets not nice enough to walk around barefoot. Furniture dated. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

I booked this property a few months ago on the reviews from trip advisor. We are from the uk and this was our 2nd stop on the east coast journey. The night before I logged back onto trip advisor to find poor reviews so as you cam imagine I was apprehensive. On arrival we were greeted at the front desk who was also the duty manager. She was friendly and welcoming. I had asked for a high floor to which she confirmed we were. We were allocated a room on the south tower, sixth floor. once the doors opened from the elevator on the sixth floor it was like an oven. Clearly no air con. However we got to the room to find the room was two single beds - not what we had booked! So back down I went and the duty manager was still on the front desk once again very accommodating and apologetic and we were allocated a one bedroom apartment again on the sixth floor so no inconvenience. It comprises of a large balcony tv fridge microwave dishwasher table to dine. It was lovely however I do agree with other reviews it does need a refurb. Iron burn stains in the bedroom, bits of carpet cut out and then replaced? If I was staying here for a long vacation I too would be a bit disappointed. But at the end of the day it's a bed and you at here to explore and enjoy the sunshine. As we were only visiting for 2 nights the following morning we told the front desk that we didn't require our room to be cleaned. The girl on the front desk this time looked as though she was in space and not really focused on the job at hand. So I told my partner I bet the the room would be cleaned to which it was no matter.We didn't use the pool nor the restaurant so I can't comment. For us it was simply a place to sleep. The walls are thin we could here our neighbours shower but nothing too major. This maybe a different scenario if it's schools holiday? Main town is about a 15min walk beach is 5mins. Only thing I will mention is there is no night safe locks on your rooms. This maybe due to a new key lock system but I would have felt better if we had a dead lock on once we were in the room. There are notes in your room stating professional thieves operate in the area and to safeguard your valuables at reception however when we even asked to use that they don't have safe big enough to fit an iPad! So I was pleased in a way I was on the top floor! If surfers is your main vacation, choose a better hotel until they have a. It of a revamp but for a bed and a few nights this place is great.

Room Tip: High floor ask to face the sea as you will get the sun first thing in the morning
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank floridasunset_9
Perth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

We just recently stayed here in March 2012 In a 1 bedroom apartment.

Pros:
- Average pricing per night $120 +
- Good facilities: Spa, Sauna (light was broken), pool, gym, games room, bbq.
- Spacious rooms

Cons:
- Staff not much help, some didn't know main attractions or bus routes. (need to do more familes)
- Dishwasher broken, Sliding door broken.
- IT IS AN EXTRA $35per day TO HAVE YOUR ROOM CLEANED (something that should automatically be included in price)
-When our room did get cleaned they just made the bed (with same sheets etc) I know this because we had gone out the nigh before and there was vomit on them and all the cleaners did was flip the bed linen over so you couldn't see it.
- Room service = annoying. First 3 times that we ordered we were not told about the $5 service fee. A few times the lady "could not understand us" - we are from Perth? and then just to top it off we ordered hot chips, 2min after I hung up I called them back to ask if they could add vinigar to my order - the lady said sure..... 5 min later a lady brings up just vinigar? without food.
- We had to pay $1 for toilet paper, as we ran out due to our rooms not being made.

Won't be staying here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jess M
manager_sovereign, Reservations and Yield Manager at Alpha Sovereign Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback of our hotel, at Australis Sovereign Hotel we pride ourselves on delivering great value for money and excellent customer service. I am very sorry that you did not feel we lived up to those aims.

At Australis Sovereign Hotel guests are able to choose from a range of fully serviced or weekly serviced packages. Typically, weekly serviced rates are at a lower price and this is what was booked on this occassion. We do apologize that the dirty sheets were not replaced when you paid to have your room serviced. Further, please also accept our apologies for the difficulties you experienced regarding our service both in ordering room service and for the front desk knowledge of local attractions / bus routes.

I will be passing your valuable feedback onto the relevant departments.

Warm Regards,