Booking accommodation in Surfers Paradise can be a bit of a nightmare if you are a looking for somewhere budget conscious but still want to feel as though you're staying somewhere fit for humans.
Enter Chateau Beachside... After spending a significant time online weeding through those pesky sites that offer you cheap rates but the minimum stay is 3+ nights I happened across Chateau Beachside and was surprised at their reasonable rates for two nights. By some stroke of luck we'd also just missed the V8s (love the V8s, just... well ask the locals).
After arriving late in the afternoon from Brisbane, check-in was relatively painless, and yes the $200 security bond was taken. It is stated on their website, and I don't know if it's just me but it does seem a little steep. That being said it is Surfers and so it probably is necessary. (I'm not sure if it's stated on any third-party booking sites, so it's something you may want to check. Also we checked out on Wednesday morning and the bond happened to return to the CC on Friday. That may not happen for everyone.)
Our room was on the sixth level with ocean views (not facing the ocean [poolside] but there was no obstruction in our way) and although it was windy in Surfers, the sliding doors were open most of the time we stayed, without the wind gusting in (although it feels a little like that when you enter and exit the rooms).
The room was quite clean, including the bathroom, athough I did find the rattan-like side tables accumulated dust, which they will do. They definitely needed a good wipe down. I did forget to tell reception when we checked out that their cleaners probably needed to move the couch and vaccuum under it as there were lollies and a pencil. (No, not left by me.)
The rooms don't quite have a balcony, but that's not something that bothered me. Ours was a studio room with a kitchen and the bedding was clean and comfortable.
Overall the Chateau Beachside—while looking modern in the reception—is a little dated, but it holds up well. I used the tiny gym they had while I was there and the treadmill worked fine (the sign on the wall was hidden by the instruction sheets hanging from the wall but you need a key from reception), but that area (games/gym) is a little depressing looking, but that could just have been the fact that the day was overcast and I was the only person there.
We ate at the Surfers Sandbar downstairs, and the fare was standard.
The only downside I found was that on the morning we checked out, one of us wanted a buffet breakfast and the other didn't, meaning that we couldn't go in as we both weren't having the buffet breakfast. I understand why, but it did make me feel a little like a criminal not being allowed (in case I steal some breakfast), but that's just me.
Lattes were reasonable, and I enjoyed my freshly squeezed OJ.
Reception was very helpful and friendly on checkout. They also stored our luggage before we left Surfers, without a problem.
All-in-all, I would recommend Chateau Beachside and I would stay again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Chateau Beachside Resort is the ideal location for your next relaxing getaway. Only one block North of Cavill Mall, The Chateau Beachside is located in the heart of the shopping, dining and entertainment precinct. Featuring 3.5 Star rated facilities and the world famous sandy shores of Surfers Paradise just metres away, you're sure to find what you are looking for right here!Situated in the heart of Surfers Paradise, all units have spectacular ocean views of the famous Surfers Paradise beach below. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia APAC, Wotif.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Chateau Beachside reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chateau Beachside Hotel Surfers Paradise
- Chateau Beachside Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast