“Could be better”

Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Sydney, Australia
“Could be better”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed during the Australia Day Holidays for 5 nights; we arrive very early after a long drive from Sydney therefore it was too early to check in. A call to a female staff member for a possibility for an early check in, which she rejected knowing we had a 2 year old with us in a torrential down pour. Second call to a male staff member; he was able to get us in straight away or at least he looked into it unlike the other who didn't even bother to see if it was possible.
Room was rundown, dirty, dusty and needed some maintenance; unlike what we saw in the photos in their website. Couch was broken, outside furniture was something you find outside the gutter ready for the tip to pick up. Fittings in the spa were loose, housekeeping seams to have no idea what cleaning is!!! the coffee table was broken a total overhaul in the furniture department needed urgently. The bedside lamp switch was what it seams to be broken and fixed with god old fashion sticky tape, very unsafe with a 2 year old around. Swimming pool area needs maintenance and a good clean; the heated pool wasn't heated...we froze and had to get out. On the positives...location is great and the view is outstanding, views don't matter as much as what inside is what counts. Has plenty of potential need a lot of work and some TLC, I'll stay there again once all these issues have been solved. There are a lot of people with the same issues here maybe you should take notice and listen!!!

Room Tip: Pick a higher floor,30 up. Report everything you don't like. Don't trust the nice pictures...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Valeria B
NeilMunro, General Manager at Mantra Circle on Cavill, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Dear VeleriaB

Many thanks for posting feedback on your recent stay

I apologise that your stay did not live up to your expectations and there were clearly some maintenance issues that needed attendion, which I am assuming were fixed?

I would like to invite you to contact me direct so that we can discuss your recent stay, room number etc, so that we can ensure that everything has been attended to.

I look forward to hearing from you

General manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I had been on tripadvisor before beginning my holiday, and was very anxious about what the expect, because of the negativity on here regarding this hotel. I am 20 years old and travelled with my boyfriend for 5 nights, from Sydney. Having both being the surfers several times before we knew we wanted to be close to Cavill Ave, so this hotel's location was perfect!

We arrived an hour before check in, and when asking to drop our bags, were advised that he would speed up our room and it should be 20 minutes. We came back in an hour and it was ready. 32nd floor, south tower, one bedroom. The room was excellent, I was surprised to see the full kitchen facilities (oven, hot plates, full fridge). The place was very comfortable and easy to stay in. Because we are a young couple, we were rarely in the room (as I think a holiday should be). The hotel was amazing, the pools very modern, the games room had a lot, and the gym was well equipped, very surprising for a hotel! Unfortunately the outdoor heated pool was being renovated, so the temperature of those available was quite cold (beach a lot warmer!)

Regarding the other reviews complaining of wear and tear, it WAS evident that some of the furniture wasn't brand new, though in personal opinion (maybe because of age..maybe because of appreciation levels), this had absolutely no effect upon my holiday. I didn't even think of something so insignificant. Our room was clean, and the daily service of collecting our rubbish and giving us towels was enough. If you want complete room service and to not wash after yourself, then do not stay here. I do prefer the serviced apartment however. Also, regarding the noise complaints on other reviews - I found no issue, probably because of how high we were up. Overall, staff were friendly and helpful, especially in recommending restaurants and organising our taxis. Checking out was a breeze.

In full, we had an amazing holiday - especially on account of where we stayed. This is a hotel I would recommend to others, especially younger couples and groups (maybe not so much families). Perfect place for a cheaper, quick getaway.

Dear BeccaW

Many thanks for your feedback on your recent stay

All of the corridoors are air conditioned, so i apologise if your floor wasnt working, as the glass makes it pretty hot up in the towers

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the Gold Coast

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Overall the apartment was quite pleasant to live in, the ocean views were great and the shops were all nearby making it really convenient.

However, not sure what is going on with the elevators and hallway areas not being airconditioned or temperatures left on the higher side, as the little time we were waiting for the lifts to arrive was an absolute shocker and left us sweating and being uncomfortable till we got out into the lobby.

Other than that, the pools were really nice and the reception staff were also quite polite and well mannered, however the line-ups can be really long during check in times.

Would definitely come back to stay again, just hope next time round they fix the AC's in the lifts and hallway areas as I wouldn't want to be sweating before even going out.

Room Tip: Always try and choose a higher floor apartment as you get some great views!
1 Thank Becca W
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 February 2012

wow where do I start? We were greeted by immature teenage idiots that did nothing but giggle and joke around while booking us in, not the greeting I expected after an early flight and full day of activities. once we finally found how to get to in the building and find our room I was disgusted to find pubic hair all through our bed, white stains all over the black leather couch, sticky something on the bench, crumbs all over the bench, where the glasses where kept was that thick with dust and grease I don't think it had actually been cleaned ever! The whole place had not been vacuumed and nothing wiped down... I obviously complained and had the manager walk thru the room with me and she too was disgusted and assured me this was not their standard. I was also assured I wld get a follow up email Monday morning, but as this is now Wednesday and I have not received an email, I’m not holding my breathe! I was offered another room, but after the state of the room we were in and the next room being cleaned by the same staff we decided to leave and go to another hotel... my partner and I have not been reimbursed any money even though we had booked for 2 nites and gave them 24hrs noticed we were not staying the 2nd nite.. So this obviously annoys me as I now have to chase them... my experience at this hotel has been nothing short of disappointing! I have travelled to 3rd world countries and stayed in hotels with less star ratings and have never seen such filth... my advice don't waste your money...

Room Tip: Don't!
2 Thank Sarah G
Dear Sarah G

Many thanks for your feedback regarding your stay.

I know that we have taken this "Off Line" and that both parties are satisified wuith the outcome

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Excellent room (1 bedroom, west facing, level 41, South tower).
Excellent views - city and hinterland views for miles
Excellent location (on Cavill Ave. very close to shops, restaurants and the beach)
Excellent reception service (staff knowledgeable and friendly)
Excellent facilities - gym, pools, sauna etc. very good
Room service a little dodgy - timing of visits was inconsistent and caught us 'at home' on a couple of occasions
Needs more 'concierge info' - a home delivery menu stuck on the fridge is not enough
Free and convenient parking with easy access to the Gold Coast Highway
Will definitely look to stay here again next time I am in Surfers

Room Tip: You don't need an ocean view to have a good room
Dear IanB_11

Execellent Review!

We really appreciate your feedback and with the new shops coming into the Commercial area I believe we will meet all of your additional suggestions of meal options

I look forward to hosting you when you are next up from Camberra