“BUYER BEWARE!!!”

Rocky Resort Motor Inn
Ranked #17 of 35 Hotels in Rockhampton
Reviewed 4 February 2010

My Husband and I had travelled to Rocky for my husband to have sinus / nasal operation stayed at the Rocky Resort Motel the room was nice however the service / manager was terrible we ended up leaving at 9.30pm that night.

We had ordered steaks for dinner and they arrived an hour and ½ later, we were originally happy with the meals until my husband who ordered the t-bone went to chew on the bone and discovered it was rotten, as his nasal cavity is totally blocked he has very little sense of smell. He kindly informed the receptionist who apologised and offered a replacement meal my husband declined. Soon after there was another call offering a free desert or wine we also declined. The plates where retuned and shortly after the manager called accusing my husband of chasing a free meal – He was horrified at this accusation. His intention was to inform the kitchen of the ROTTEN MEAT as to make them aware of the issue. Upon further discussion the chef accused us again – stating that the meat is cry-vaced and thus the smell. Being from a cattle station we KNOW when MEAT IS ROTTEN.. We were so offended and discussed with managements bullying us we check out of the hotel and will never return.

My husband was servery sick from the meat and his operation was postponed as a result. If you can afford to get sick i recommend you eat at the motel!

Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
8  Thank coalandcountry
rockyresort, Manager at Rocky Resort Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2010

Management took this guest’s complaint very seriously, immediately investigating the situation and discussing the issue with the chef and with the butcher the following day.
Management was advised that there was no reason or evidence that the meat should be bad as it is delivered daily and cryo packaged with two steaks to a bag. As the guest had not left any of the meat on his plate, the second steak in the bag was inspected and was in good condition and smelled as it should. In the chef’s view, the meat was not rotten as advised; however the guest was given the benefit of the doubt.
A meeting was organised to explain to both guests the outcome of the analysis and it was made clear that the guest would not be charged for his meal. The guest went on to state that his partner’s meal was perfect, as was his, before contradicting himself saying his steak was rotten. Once again, management advised that there would be no charge for his meal, but that his partner would still be expected to pay as there was no problem with hers. The guest then became very abusive, yelling profanities and threatening to ‘sort the chef out’ outside. During this outburst, management advised on multiple occasions that the police would be called if the guest did not cease resorting to bad language, in front of staff the young female staff, and threats of physical abuse towards the chef.
Once everything had calmed down the guests decided to leave on their own accord, despite management offering them the option of staying until morning. After the guests had left, their room was inspected and multiple empty beer cans and general rubbish was strewn all across the room.
Each year we sell up to 1,600 steaks at Rocky Resort Motor and this is the first complaint we have ever had concerning the steak being ‘rotten’. In hindsight, given the guest’s self report of sinus and nasal problems, this may have influenced his perception of the smell and flavour of the meat.

There are newer reviews for Rocky Resort Motor Inn

Reviewed 17 January 2010

As far as I am aware of this motel is only 6 months old so it is newest one in the area. Very modern and high standard. Very clean. Loved the pool!!! Would stay there again.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank MaciejM
Reviewed 17 January 2010

I recently returned to Rocky Resort (I'm in Rockhampton every month) to the usual warm welcome from the managers and their staff and commented on how I was pleased to be back in a motel that feels like a second home. Later I wondered through reception, when I heard another guest questioning and then refusing to leave their credit card details. I went into the bar thinking "I can't remember the last time I haven't had to provide credit card details to confirm a reservation and check in, some people mustn't get out much, these complexes are worth millions of dollars, the rooms at RR all have flat screen TV and mini bars. The risk that your credit card will have insufficient funds to cover any damages is far greater than the risk of unauthorized charges!". Once the manager had resolved the issue, he popped up behind the bar and we got to chatting about managing guests expectations. He mentioned some of the difficulties they have and then mentioned this website. It got me thinking about the impact of these reviews and how much notice people take of reviewer’s opinions. I reflected on my own use of the website. I have frequently visited TripAdvisor when booking mainly international hotels and I have made decisions on where to stay based on other people's opinions.

I later returned to my very comfortable room, with my free broadband internet access (I pay up to $20/hr at other hotels) and logged on to TripAdvisor to read these reviews. I was shocked at the medial things people will have a moan about. The previous review complained about the cost of additional towels and bottled water at $5 (the minibar list in my room and every room I have stayed in here has 600ml bottles of water at $2.50, so I think this was just a generous exaggeration, which instantly had me questioning the validity of the rest of the comment mades. I think charging for additional towels is common practice and should be encouraged from an environmental perspective. Last week-end I stayed in a "resort " in Noosa. We were supplied with 1 towel per person for the entire duration of our 4 night stay and there was a $5 charge on pool towels. At least RR supply clean towels daily if you can't and won't re-use.

Reading these mistruths and exaggerations motivated me to write this posting. Of course I can't comment on the smell or cleanliness of the room that guest stayed in but I can say that I in my numerous stays, I have never noticed the rooms to be anything but clean and fresh. The Motel has the best beds, I would love to take one home! The restaurant has yummy meals and overall I think it is a great value motel with a friendly atmosphere, which I always look forward to return to. A very pleasant change from most city based hotels.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Jamiejp
Reviewed 10 January 2010

My husband, daughter and I stayed here over the Xmas break and found it to be a comfortable and quiet place to base ourselves while we visited family in the region. We chose it because most of the accommodation in Rocky is very old and dated. Rocky Resort is quite new, the rooms are tastefully decorated, and the pool is lovely. We swam twice a day for the three days we stayed there and had it all to ourselves (which is fortunate really because it was quite small).

On the down side, the room was very small with only just enough room for the two beds and a small table (no couch). As we were pretty much only sleeping there it was not a problem for us. Families with younger children might find the lack of space an issue. We did encounter a problem when we first went to our room upon checking in. On opening the door I immediately noticed a faint whiff of vomit. When my daughter went to take a shower half an hour later it became apparent where it was coming from. Although the shower looked clean, it absolutely reeked of vomit - as soon as the door was opened you could smell it through the entire room. On closer inspection of the bathroom, I noticed that the floor had not been cleaned properly either - there was an m&m in a corner, bits of fluff, hair etc. We immediately phoned reception and were assured the problem would be resolved. We had to go out at that point, and when we returned the shower had been re-cleaned. Unfortunately they had also used some kind of extremely strong deodouriser. On opening the door to the room it was like a highly perfumed slap in the face and it did not dissipate for the entire night. It was so strong that I found it difficult to sleep! The next day we were moved to another room and enoyed the rest of our stay without further issue. A couple of little things that annoyed me were the lack of cold water (the tap kind, not the $5 bottled variety!) in the fridge - Rocky in summer is very hot and warm tap water from the bathroom sink is not an attractive option. Also, if you require extra towels to use in the pool it will cost you an extra $3 per towel. I've never encountered this before, even in "real" resorts at Noosa and the Sunshine coast - it just seems a bit stingy.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 November 2009

Six months ago i started traveling to Rockhampton on a regular basis for work commitments. I was staying at another local motel and i just wasn't happy with the place, so i started looking around for a new place to stay. I come across a new motel called the Rocky Resort Motor Inn. I have never looked back! The service is fantastic, staff are friendly i also liked the fact it was a family ran business so you know the staff are not always changing. I always eat in the restaurant. My meals have been great. Never had a problem with any of my breakfast or dinner meals. I enjoy sitting at the bar before a meal and having a nice cold drink and a chat to Ben and Don.
If you are traveling to Rocky for work or pleasure i would highly recommend this motel.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business