“Surprised anyone would have a bad word to say about this fab motel.”

Rocky Resort Motor Inn
Ranked #17 of 35 Hotels in Rockhampton
Reviewed 17 January 2010

I recently returned to Rocky Resort (I'm in Rockhampton every month) to the usual warm welcome from the managers and their staff and commented on how I was pleased to be back in a motel that feels like a second home. Later I wondered through reception, when I heard another guest questioning and then refusing to leave their credit card details. I went into the bar thinking "I can't remember the last time I haven't had to provide credit card details to confirm a reservation and check in, some people mustn't get out much, these complexes are worth millions of dollars, the rooms at RR all have flat screen TV and mini bars. The risk that your credit card will have insufficient funds to cover any damages is far greater than the risk of unauthorized charges!". Once the manager had resolved the issue, he popped up behind the bar and we got to chatting about managing guests expectations. He mentioned some of the difficulties they have and then mentioned this website. It got me thinking about the impact of these reviews and how much notice people take of reviewer’s opinions. I reflected on my own use of the website. I have frequently visited TripAdvisor when booking mainly international hotels and I have made decisions on where to stay based on other people's opinions.

I later returned to my very comfortable room, with my free broadband internet access (I pay up to $20/hr at other hotels) and logged on to TripAdvisor to read these reviews. I was shocked at the medial things people will have a moan about. The previous review complained about the cost of additional towels and bottled water at $5 (the minibar list in my room and every room I have stayed in here has 600ml bottles of water at $2.50, so I think this was just a generous exaggeration, which instantly had me questioning the validity of the rest of the comment mades. I think charging for additional towels is common practice and should be encouraged from an environmental perspective. Last week-end I stayed in a "resort " in Noosa. We were supplied with 1 towel per person for the entire duration of our 4 night stay and there was a $5 charge on pool towels. At least RR supply clean towels daily if you can't and won't re-use.

Reading these mistruths and exaggerations motivated me to write this posting. Of course I can't comment on the smell or cleanliness of the room that guest stayed in but I can say that I in my numerous stays, I have never noticed the rooms to be anything but clean and fresh. The Motel has the best beds, I would love to take one home! The restaurant has yummy meals and overall I think it is a great value motel with a friendly atmosphere, which I always look forward to return to. A very pleasant change from most city based hotels.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Jamiejp
There are newer reviews for Rocky Resort Motor Inn

Reviewed 10 January 2010

My husband, daughter and I stayed here over the Xmas break and found it to be a comfortable and quiet place to base ourselves while we visited family in the region. We chose it because most of the accommodation in Rocky is very old and dated. Rocky Resort is quite new, the rooms are tastefully decorated, and the pool is lovely. We swam twice a day for the three days we stayed there and had it all to ourselves (which is fortunate really because it was quite small).

On the down side, the room was very small with only just enough room for the two beds and a small table (no couch). As we were pretty much only sleeping there it was not a problem for us. Families with younger children might find the lack of space an issue. We did encounter a problem when we first went to our room upon checking in. On opening the door I immediately noticed a faint whiff of vomit. When my daughter went to take a shower half an hour later it became apparent where it was coming from. Although the shower looked clean, it absolutely reeked of vomit - as soon as the door was opened you could smell it through the entire room. On closer inspection of the bathroom, I noticed that the floor had not been cleaned properly either - there was an m&m in a corner, bits of fluff, hair etc. We immediately phoned reception and were assured the problem would be resolved. We had to go out at that point, and when we returned the shower had been re-cleaned. Unfortunately they had also used some kind of extremely strong deodouriser. On opening the door to the room it was like a highly perfumed slap in the face and it did not dissipate for the entire night. It was so strong that I found it difficult to sleep! The next day we were moved to another room and enoyed the rest of our stay without further issue. A couple of little things that annoyed me were the lack of cold water (the tap kind, not the $5 bottled variety!) in the fridge - Rocky in summer is very hot and warm tap water from the bathroom sink is not an attractive option. Also, if you require extra towels to use in the pool it will cost you an extra $3 per towel. I've never encountered this before, even in "real" resorts at Noosa and the Sunshine coast - it just seems a bit stingy.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 November 2009

Six months ago i started traveling to Rockhampton on a regular basis for work commitments. I was staying at another local motel and i just wasn't happy with the place, so i started looking around for a new place to stay. I come across a new motel called the Rocky Resort Motor Inn. I have never looked back! The service is fantastic, staff are friendly i also liked the fact it was a family ran business so you know the staff are not always changing. I always eat in the restaurant. My meals have been great. Never had a problem with any of my breakfast or dinner meals. I enjoy sitting at the bar before a meal and having a nice cold drink and a chat to Ben and Don.
If you are traveling to Rocky for work or pleasure i would highly recommend this motel.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank dentalrep
Reviewed 12 November 2009

Beautiful modern rooms, better than we had expected for the region! Receptionist showed us each room type available personally and with a cheerful chat!!! Even organised a suprise basket of goodies for the wife at my request while we shopped!!!!

Food was second to none!! Generous portions and beautifully presented.

We were surprised at the peaceful environment experienced in the rooms given the main road frontage, this was not an issue!!! Best nights sleep in a long time!!!
I have travelled eastern Australia overand over, i will most definately return to Rocky resort to be spoiled!!!!!

Thanks guys!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brett D
Reviewed 4 November 2009

My family and i have recently stayed at the Rocky Resort Motel. I found this motel by far one of the best motels i have ever stayed in. The rooms were fresh, pleasant and best of all clean. The staff were helpful, friendly and went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. We were always greeted with a friendly smile.
We had a wonderful meal in the restaurant. I would highly recommend the "reef and beef".
If your looking for a great place to stay, i suggest you try this place A+++
I will be coming back here for sure.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family