“Best of the Best”

Ranked #30 of 43 Hotels in Port Douglas
Sydney, Australia
“Best of the Best”
Reviewed 13 October 2011

I've been to Port Douglas a few times, and each time exploring somewhere new to stay. For the past 2 times however, i have stayed here at the Rendezvous due to relaxed and friendly vibe. The pools are brilliant, BBQs fantastic, beach-like villa's, and ultra-friendly staff. As for the villas, they have large balconies, full kitchens, laundries, large LCD tvs, air-con in all the rooms, and even a garage/car-port. Not to mention the ever-so-convenient bike rack, as i like to ride around town.

I have to agree with the previous review - that it's a bit unfair that people complain about the lounges being a slightly firm: seriously why would you visit Port Douglas if you are going to sit all day watching tv?! Go hire a car (or a bike), and drive up to Cape Tribulation, or to Cook Town, or to Mossman Gorge. Go for a dive on the reef, chill at the Courthouse Hotel, or the Iron Bar...but dont sit inside!

As for transport, every shuttle bus stops at the Rendezvous, so it's extremely easy to get in-and-out of town. I've walked it several times and it is not as far as what people make it out to be.

Other amenities include a 25m lap pool, a gym, and loads of open space to kick around a footy with your mates and enjoy a beer or 2. Many people have said that this is a family resort for kids, but we've also met loads of other young travellers there who we have spent several nights out together.

I am going back to Port Douglas for another holiday later this year, and will be staying right here at the Rendezvous.

Thank you Rendezvous for making my stay at Port Douglas as best as it could be.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Matt T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I've been meaning to write this review for some time now but haven't got around to it, but after seeing some of the negative reviews I thought now was better time than ever.

I have stayed at Rendezvous many times over the last few years and have loved it every single time. I've seen the place come so far and it can only get better. The resort has a real family feel and is an ideal hub for exploring or relaxing in the area.

It may be a little out of town but for me that was half the fun of it as that walk to and from town is thoroughly enjoyable and if you go via the beach it's amazing. However if my body wasn't feeling up for it there was always a shuttle bus to and from town just a short wait away.

The rooms are ideal when traveling when a small group or just with another, yes the couches are a tad hard but hardly worth giving it a bad review! I mean who comes to beautiful Port Douglas to sit on a couch all day! Cannot say anything bad about the rooms, They may not be as flashy as the more expensive places but have a real beach house feel and are exactly what I am after, I find them perfect. They're fully self contained which means you have your privacy and don't have to worry about about being woken up by a maid each day, which means I can sleep in as long as I like.

The grounds are great, ample room to play ball games and run around. Pools are a great place to unwind with a beer at the end of the day, and I love the communal feel of the BBQ area which is always a great place to make new friends. The guys at the front desk are great and always there to offer advice and book any tours I am after.

For me Rendezvous has been like a second home to me when staying in Port Douglas and I can't wait to return

• Stayed January 2011
4 Thank AnthonyOC_Aus
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Great size, layout and facilities for families. Loads of pools and nice BBQ facilities near the pool. Reasonably priced. Would definitely stay there again. Good sound proofing!
Only a couple of cons:
very uncomfortable lounges - so no lazing on those! A bit too far to walk to the town. Could do with fly screens so could leave windows and doors open instead of air-con (did have fans though).

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank SP1408
derbyshire
Reviewed 4 October 2011

We were slightly anxious about our stay having read some not so good reviews; to the point we actively looked for somewhere else to stay.

I am so glad we were not able to as our stay here was wonderful. The apartment we stayed in was ample enough for our family of 5, okay the chairs were not the best investment the hotel made but I didn't travel that far to spend my days on the sofa!

I think we were fortunate to be there at the end of the season as I don't think the facilities available would meet the needs of all residents if the hotel was at full capacity, but at the end of April/early may it was fine.
The breakfasts were great, the evening meals lovely and cocktails, Hmmmmm!

Staff very helpful!

It is a bit of a distance from port Douglas centre but I HIGHLY recommend walking down the beach which you can access just over the road. This took my breath away when I first saw it - BEAUTIFUL.

I think we may have got a good discount on the room being out of season which may have made it more palatable for us (£70 per night inc breakfast for 5) but I would certainly return here if I was in port Douglas again.

• Stayed May 2011
4 Thank finallylanky
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We went as a family of 6 and had booked a Deluxe 3 Bdrm Villa. Sadly these rooms are in no way 'Deluxe' Don't be fooled by the glossy pics or the web tours they are strategically done so as to suggest space, they are not spacious! Don't be fooled by the claimed 8 million dollar makeover, not much has been expended on the Villas. Our Villa was dated, tired, dirty and cramped. The furniture in the sitting room is extremely uncomfortable and considerably stained and dirty. We were hoping for a relaxed time away where we could laze by the pool while the kids played and swam. We did not stay beyond our 1st night (had planned to stay for 9) and sought alternative accommodation elsehwere. Other points
- unclean rooms
- cramped
- no external lighting for when you return in the dark
- uncomfortable furniture
- little or no garden maintenance
- building and construction materials and rubbish around the property
- some buildings 'falling down' and in need of serious maintenance
- some Villas right on the Port Douglas road meaning traffic all night
- intermittent TV signal
- TV in only the main sitting room, none in the bedrooms

Room Tip: Look elsewhere!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Kenobog
ReefRes0rt, Owner at Reef Resort Port Douglas by Rydges, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
As owners we welcome frank reviews however it is disturbing when information is obviously inaccurate.
The Villa this guest stayed in has recently had a comprehensive internal upgrade costing $54,696.57 with modern stone bench spacious kitchens, new bathrooms etc. This level of expenditure, plus the wards we have won, do not fit with the comment "not much has been expended.....dated, etc."
The comment that "some buildings falling down and in need of serious maintenance" is completely inaccurate. We take great pride in the property and over the last 12 months have had a maintenance spent of $750,000 investing in our independently rated 4 star resort status.
There is also a permanent 4 person gardening and maintenance team, plus specialist pool and mowing contractors that look after the property. The garden maintenance program continues through the weekend.
In addition we employ a walk round daily security service for the protection of our guests.

As most guests comment, this is a great property with many exclusive features.

Travellers are raving about these Port Douglas hotels