I was in need of some sunshine after the New Zealand winter so headed to Dougies in Port Douglas for another visit and what can I say ... it was another brilliant stay at my favourite hostel in Australia. Since my last visit there have been some changes. The addition of Zai restaurant to the hostel is brilliant, the food was amazing and at fantastic prices. I must have eaten at Zai at least once a day during my stay. The staff were as friendly and helpful as ever. The gardens and pool were looking good and it was great to chill and read my book or chat to fellow guests. The bar is still a hot spot and I was lucky to be there to join in the Dougies Birthday Halloween celebrations and Melbourne Cup Day, including a champagne lunch at Zai! This hostel always makes an extra effort with putting on a good shindig. It was great to see the fanous Tuesday Night Free Sausage Sizzle is still a hit. This time I stayed in an 8 bed dorm that was spacious, clean and cool with A/C and a fan and a locker. The communal facilities were clean and tidy. Thank you so much to all the people who make Dougies so special. I look forward to seeing you all again next year :-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dougies is run by a bunch of us who had lots of fun backpacking around places of the world before, so we decided to start a hostel ourselves. We have the pretty relaxed atmosphere, without all of the formal procedures that some hostels have. Our philosophy is 'kick back and relax at Dougies'. We have all of the facilities that a fun loving backpacker could ever need, including a bar, refreshing swimming pool, free bbq facilities, shop (coke, ice-creams, chockies, etc), a huge self-cook kitchen, laundry, internet, satellite TV (really big one), hire bikes, fishing rods, tour desk and of course accommodation (doubles, twins, share rooms, camping, van sites and our own stylish canvas tents). But once you see our tropical gardens and cruisy front lawn you might just want to lay back and relax under a palm tree, kick back in a hammock, by the pool or you may even like to unwind on the grass and soak up some of the Far North's warm tropical sunlight. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda and Booking.com so you can book your Dougies Backpackers Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dougies Backpackers Hotel Port Douglas
- Dougies Backpackers Resort Port Douglas