New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Another A-mazing stay at Dougies” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dougies Backpackers Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Douglas
Dougies Backpackers Resort
UK
“Another A-mazing stay at Dougies”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

I was in need of some sunshine after the New Zealand winter so headed to Dougies in Port Douglas for another visit and what can I say ... it was another brilliant stay at my favourite hostel in Australia. Since my last visit there have been some changes. The addition of Zai restaurant to the hostel is brilliant, the food was amazing and at fantastic prices. I must have eaten at Zai at least once a day during my stay. The staff were as friendly and helpful as ever. The gardens and pool were looking good and it was great to chill and read my book or chat to fellow guests. The bar is still a hot spot and I was lucky to be there to join in the Dougies Birthday Halloween celebrations and Melbourne Cup Day, including a champagne lunch at Zai! This hostel always makes an extra effort with putting on a good shindig. It was great to see the fanous Tuesday Night Free Sausage Sizzle is still a hit. This time I stayed in an 8 bed dorm that was spacious, clean and cool with A/C and a fan and a locker. The communal facilities were clean and tidy. Thank you so much to all the people who make Dougies so special. I look forward to seeing you all again next year :-)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

I recently backpacked up the east coast from Melbourne to Port Douglas with a car I had bought and stayed at a hostel in every stop I made; Roughly every 4 hours. Dougies had the best atmosphere, facilities and location out of every hostel I had stayed in. I planned to stay for a week or two, but ending up LIVING THERE FOR 6 MONTHS! during peak season in Far North Queensland is around June to October. Found work very easily, and was able to save very quickly by using the tent ground at 60$/week, add another 5$ for power. The dougies bar was the scenery to some of the best nights out in my life and it has really cheap booze as well. 5 mins across the road is 4 mile beach which trumps every beach I saw up the east coast ( Sorry I don't surf so didn't take that in to count). Staff quickly becomes friends and you feel at home after a couple of nights. I'd also like to point out that most of the negative reviews were from people who were NOT backpackers as in people who have a good income and are a custom to hotels and just want to get a cheap trip to the barrier reef and not used to the live-style of hostels and want happens in them...partying, drinking, and other various activities that manly the young enjoy. The average age of people that I met at Dougies were 19-26 and loved to party, like me. Dougies was the Australia I imagined and it was nice to finally find it. You won't regret your stay here :)

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
gueensland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

dougies is the best place i have ever stayed, it awesome its so friendly, the staff are amazing, the bar is the cheapist in town, its got its own restaurant witch does great food and great coffee, i started off in a room witch was great.
I moved to a tent after 3 months, the camp ground is big, lots of trees and people are considarate of eash other. There is a pool, hammocks, tv room, pool table and table football. The owner Steve is a awesome guy i have had many good nights with him (top bloke) and the price is so good. Me and two mates where meant to be there for 4 week and ended up spending 6 mouths there, Come and see for your self. You will not be dissapointed, I guarantee it!!! I love dougies, the best hostel... well ever! x x

Room Tip: all of them
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Moonta, South Australia, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

We just spend 3 nights at Dougies. From the moment we arrived ( via courtesy bus from Cairns-thanks Rowan) w were impressed by the friendliness of staff, absolutely stunning facilities and gardens. We were then led to our room equipped with a/con, tv, fridage and comfortable bed. The meals are so cheap and communcal kitchen well equiped and within a large lounge area adjacent to the bar. Nightly entertainment-what a laugh!You guys have done a marvelous job. We felt so relaxed but were never bored. We met some lovely people-both travellers and staff. We will be back for sure. Best value and such an amazing community and great experience-the highlight of our trip for sure.Thanks!!!!!! Now to tell all my friends and book our next Dougies holiday!!!

Room Tip: if you want quiet ask for a room at the back. Otherwise everything is close and handy-amenities/sha...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

Great accommodation, enjoyable hangout, perfect location. Highly recommend!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends