“Civilised dining”

Vivaldis Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 667 Restaurants in Cairns
Price range: USD 10 - USD 25
Description: Modern Australian Cuisine in a sophisticated, relaxed, romantic setting overlooking the Esplanade.
Reviewed 2 March 2018

Cairns is full of cheap noisy eateries which is fine, we had to do a full lap of the centre to find somewhere more civilised to eat. I think we were wery lucky to find this restaurant which is on the first floor of a hotel entrance? The menu was on a board outside and a waitress was on the pavement, which I usually think ‘AVOID’. The menu however was intriguing, and we went up with her to have a look. Well it was light years better than any place we had seen before on our treck.
The food was modern fusion and great. The service was superb and the waiters very characterful. We hadn’t been to Cairns before and were eating early (6pm) and had not heard about the giant fruit bats which at dusk (6.15) started to do a mass fly past around the town. From this first floor site overlooking the park it was quite wonderful to see them swooping around in their hundreds around the trees. Anyway back to the restaurant. It filled up as time went on, but service did not suffer. The chairs were very comfortable unlike almost anywhere we had been in four weeks in Australia, and the food was way above average without outrageous prices. I would definitely go back..

Reviewed 16 February 2018

My partner and I enjoyed our dinner for two at Vivaldi's this week. I had pre-booked and because our booking was on Valentine's Day I welcomed the advice that the meal would be based on a set four course menu. Our welcome was a little unsettling as it was indicated that we were late for the time I had booked - some confusion on my part. We were guided to our front verandah table overlooking the Cairns Esplanade - splendid position from which we could view the hustle and bustle of life on the Nade; the thousand s of fruit bats heading out to forage in the tropical evening; and planes taking off from Cairns Airport swooping out over the Coral Sea. A wonderful vista - and for an outdoor setting, quite cool as a gentle sea breeze swept over our table on what was a hot tropical evening. Being Valentine's Day we had a choice of "his" and "her" entrees; main course; dessert; and a final selection of handmade chocolates. My seared tuna wrapped in Nori crispy fried in Tempura butter was delicious and and tasty and not overcooked. My main of confit duck leg and creamy mash potatoes with rocket was very tasty - was quite hot initially to put to the mouth. My partner enjoyed her spicy Moroccan chicken salad and black angus eye fillet which informed me was cooked to her ideal. There was no faulting our desserts and the cold Marlborough sauvignon blanc wine. Our service was attentive and efficient. The overall atmospherics of the setting assisted this to be an overall enjoyable eating experience in Cairns.

Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

This is not our first visit to this restaurant. Again on this visit we were not disappointed. Thai beef salad for entree was extremely tasty. My wife had seafood wonton also delicious. Mains consisted of steak which was cooked to perfection. Dessert was apple tart tartin which was to die for. You will not be disappointed if you come to this restaurant. Staff are very attentive without being intrusive. A must visit for locals and tourists.

Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

Good locations with nice views from the upper level but.... not worth of going. Dinner was guite bad. Steak was good but too raw, ordered medium, otherwice okay dish. Secondly we ordered seared tuna, absolutely horrible dish, tuna way overcooked and tasted like it was from can. Not fresh at all. Big pieces of tuna on the plate and side food wasn’t great either. Wouldn’t go again.

Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

Our dinner wasn’t that nice. Very average food, entree duck salad was small and disapointing with basic flavours. I had steak, quite good, ordered medium but got too raw steak. Other dish that we ordered was tuna, honestly it was horrible. It was totally over cooked, tasted like can tuna, big chunks on the plate, wasn’t able to eat even half... our wine and other drink selections were good.