“Great local place”

Ranked #65 of 667 Restaurants in Cairns
Price range: USD 6 - USD 21
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Green Ant Cantina is Cairns' best kept secret and has become an institution among its regulars since opening in 2001. We are unique in that we are a bar, a restaurant, a music venue and can cater for functions and parties. Our food takes inspiration from South American, Caribbean and Baja Californian cuisines which showcase the amazing fresh produce available to us here in Cairns. Margaritas, Mojitos and Sangria will quench your thirst along with a beautiful little wine list that focuses on vegan, organic and sustainable wines. We began Green Ant Brewing Co. in 2012 with our ethos to brew small batch craft beers that are additive and preservative free. Our ever growing range boasts a Pilsener, a Pale Ale, a Premium Lager, a Ginger Beer, a Honey Wheat Beer, a Strong Brown Ale and an Imperial Stout.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We rocked up at about 8pm on a Thursday night and the place was full. Lots of locals, which is always a good sign. The meals were delicious and the portions are huge, like seriously huge. I had the Tree Hugger quesadilla which was delicious. Beware the spice though, their "one chili" dishes certainly had my nose running. They have their own brewery, I didn't try the beer, but their ginger beer was great and they do make a mean margarita.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

I have never left a negative review in my life, but dear me, I also think that you can expect some sort of standard when you go out to eat?

Unfortunately, the standard at this restaurant was very poor.

Where do I start? Our reservation was for 7pm we arrived 5 minutes early to another group of people who were sitting at our table. When my friend explained this to the waitress she seemed disinterested and had no clue what to do. Yes we could of sat at another table but none available ! We stood aimlessly in the middle of the floor. At 7:25 we were finally able to sit at our table.

We stood in a line for 10 minutes only to realise that food had to be ordered in another line. Luckily the line was short. Whilst waiting in line I witnessed one of your male employees speaking very abruptly to the young girl in front of me. Very terrifying to watch a man standing over a shorter girl. He then told her that she had to exit the resturant immediately. The young lady’s friend explained that they needed their takeaway first. I honestly was scared he was going to get physical. The fellow employee was embarrassed and apologised to all of us. As she could see we were shook!

Food was very mediocre, waitress forgot to give us cutlery and napkins. We also had to wait a very long time for our meals to come out separately.

I woke up this morning still thinking about last night and how what was suppose to be a relaxing dinner with with friends turned into an ugly disappointing one.
So if you want to wait a very long time for your food, and love standing up for 30 minutes with no where to sit down after a long day at work and have the employees yell at you, then I would recommend green ant.
I hope I’ve saved one of you.

2  Thank Jane R
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

My husband went there the other night, it was pretty packed but managed to sit at the end of one of the large tables outside. Have lived in Cairns for six years and visited this gorgeous spot through recommendation, wow great food , tasty beer , fun atmosphere, will definitely make this a regular!

Reviewed 1 April 2018

We came at 6pm on a Friday night and all tables read reserved so we got sat at the bar. Had fish tacos and pork quesedillas with sangria. Food was delicious and massive portions so ended up taking one of the tacos home. Lovely atmosphere and play great chilled rock music. Nice service too.

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

Advertised as vegetarian friendly, with only one vegetarian dish on the mains! No vegan options. When we asked if we could have cheese swapped out for a bit of extra guacamole on nachos we were told no and that we would have to pay extra for the guacamole. Staff appeared put out that we asked and also wanted sour cream on the side. But they will take cheese out and not reduce price of course!!!!
Generally over priced. Mexican at Smithfield shopping centre restaurant precinct much better food and value, will stick to going there.

1  Thank Kerry S