“Great food at a Great price”

Splash Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #38 of 766 Restaurants in Cairns
Cuisines: Seafood, Australian, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 3 January 2011

My wife and i were delighted to find this little gem at the north end of the Cairns Esplanade restaurant strip on our recent holiday. The service was excellent from the local, knowledgeable staff and the food was 5 star and some of the freshest seafood we had ever tasted. Great value for money and we will be sure to visit on our next trip to cairns and recommend to all our friends and business colleagues.

Reviewed 9 October 2010

After a local's recommendation we visited this restaurant hoping for a great meal. The service was good. My husband had fish and chips which he enjoyed. I ordered Scallops with Pork Belly after being assured by the waiter that the pork belly would be crispy. When the dish arrived there were about 5 scallops in a circular arrangement with a salad in the middle. Where was the pork belly? As I couldn't see it, I thought it must have been under the mound of salad ...no. Ah there it was! Little squares of pork (belly?) were under the scallops ...! Hmmm very disappointing for the price paid.

Reviewed 10 September 2010

Maybe I'm spoiled, but taking a great piece of tuna and smothering on soya sauce is not a culinary accomplishment. For $30, this was very disappointing. I expected more.

3  Thank BubiSchmidt
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Don't get fooled by its humble appearance; Splash is a fantastic little restaurant. You'll have to walk past most other outlets on Cairns' esplanade bofore hitting Splash. Its humple appearance may induce some to walk back to other outfits. Don't do it. Food at Splash is just great. It's an easy going place were waiters will accomodate all your requests with a smile. My wife had a truly enjoyable rib fillet perfectly cooked (and food lovers know how hard it is to get meat cooked to perfection). I opted for a superb tuna steak, medium rare. Unbelievable. Add an entree and a couple of glasses of wine we ended up spending an average of AUD$60 per person. Worth every penny indeed.

Reviewed 17 July 2010

My husband and I recently spent a week in Cairns on our way to Bali and tried several restaurants. The best by far for seafood was Splash on the Esplanade. We were there for dinner and it was fun to sit outside and watch the pasing parade, although I think it would be just as good at lunch time.

Our waiter was attentive and informed, and told us the restaurant owner and his family actually catch all their own seafood from their own trawler up North.

The food was definitely fresh and very well priced. For entree we shared a plate of deep fried scallops with wasabi and miso aioli, which I followed with huge gulf prawn spring rolls with a seaweed wrapper and ponzu sauce while my husband had roasted Gulf bugs with garlic.

Each dish was so tasty, fresh and inventive - a couple with a slight Asian fusion element which we enjoyed so much. The rest of the menu also looked great with lots of whole fish, prawn and calamari options. We shared a bottle of NZ Sauvingon blanc (about $35 from memory) but we didn't make it to dessert unfortunately.

All in all, we thought there were quite a few really good restaurants in Cairns, but this one really stood out as the best seafood we have had in ages, in a casual atmosphere, with really competent service and plenty of atmosphere. If we are ever back in Cairns we would definitely go again - probably for lunch.

1  Thank cooktowndreaming