All reviewsfree breakfastcrystal cascadesfree bbq on sundaysbig lockersan en suite bathroomfree activitiesrooms are cleanfridge freezerprivate roomfree pool tablebig kitchentravel agentbars restaurantsswimming poolcleaned dailycommunal areasenjoyed my stay
Reviewed 26 March 2018

Stayed for a week at The Northern Greenhouse in Cairns and it was such a good experience! Over the last couple of months, I have stayed at lots of different hostels in Australia and New Zealand, especially Base and Nomads. However, this hostel is without doubt the best. The staff, including the housekeeping, are actual grown ups, responsible and welcoming, and not just immature backpackers like in every other hostel. When entering the room, it was so clean as they clean every day. The rooms got its own bathroom and fridge/freezer which is great, The facilities in general are great, the only thing you could possible wish for would be wifi in the rooms which worked for some, but not for me. The hostel is located perfect, just a few Streets away from beach, shopping, restaurants, etc. but still in a nice, calm area which was great for me as I'm not much of a party person. Besides that, I have no complain about this hostel and would 100% recommend this amazing place for everyone looking to stay in Cairns!

Stayed: March 2018
1  Thank pernillebusk
Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

I stayed for a few days in Cairns based at the Northern Greenhouse.

The hostel is nice with an en-suite bathroom (to be shared with up to 3 other people when you choose a 4-bed room) and clean rooms and best linen.

It is well positioned, close to both the Marina as well as Cairns Central, the City centre mall. The kitchen is nice, big and fairly clean even it Can become pretty busy and crowded during peak hours.

Overall I suggest it if you want to stata in Cairns for little money and know some people.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 January 2018

My wife and I stayed here for a night in a private room before going on a liveabord on the Great Barrier Reef. The check in process was easy and the reception staff was nice and informative. The room was nice and clean, and offered everything you could need even for an extended stay. The location is very good, and we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go, including the dive shop after we checked out. This is not a party hostel like some of them in the area, so there is a noise curfew at 11pm (aside from the NYE fireworks, but that didn't bother us). This was very nice for us since we had just spent 40 hours traveling from Texas and just wanted to crash since we had to get up early the next day. The room was very affordable, even though we were staying on NYE. Although we didn't use it, there is a nice pool on the grounds. The wifi was free, which was a nice perk as well. We would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2017

I went May 2017 as a solo traveler and stayed in an 8-bed room. Place is clean, cheap, and pretty quiet - they have quiet hours at night (I think from 10 pm to 7 am?) that most people seem to respect. The reception staff is awesome and gave great tips on which tours they think are best and what you'll enjoy most - and they were spot-on! Location is also great - close to the marina and close to the shopping area in case you need anything. Wi-fi is not great especially for videos, but it was enough when I wanted to look things up online.

The rooms are pretty big with a kitchenette, and have big baskets below the bottom bunks to put your items. They also have lockers for each person.

Most people seemed to be in the late teens/early twenties. There was a girl who went there to hook up and according to my other roommates wasn't very respectful about bringing a guy back (we were in an all-girls room), but that's not the property's fault. Just mentioning that there are still people like that at this hostel even though that's not the norm.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank ElaineC5014
Reviewed 21 November 2017

Stayed for 3 nights in a room on ground floor near the swimming pool, had no trouble sleeping as most of the young travellers congregated upstairs by the kitchen. Great location in centre of town and the reception staff were very helpful at teeing up attractions. Everything was very clean and tidy.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple