Overall our experience at this backpackers was awesome - its clean, great facilities and rooms and its literally a two minute walk from the main street of cairns.
My sister and bro and I decided to stay here because my sister had stayed before and loved it. The backpackers lived up to its reputation - it was awesome and we all loved it! We stayed in one of the apartments that sleeps 4. It has two bunk beds and we had the double split into two singles. The room has a private en suite and kitchen which all came in handy and its own little balcony. We were over the bar and didn't have an issue with the noise as long as we kept the door closed.
Pro's of the room:
Own bathroom, nice and clean
Light switch accessible from bottom bunk
Cooking equipment, cutlery, crockery and cups provided
Detergent, garbage bags etc provided
Towels and linen provided - MASSIVE plus was the let us swap our towels in for clean ones whenever we needed them
Cons of the room (very small issues):
Couldn't get TV remote to work even after advice from reception
Bathroom light had delay of like 15 seconds coming on
Stove was a little old - knobs didn't accurately line up with temperature
Pro's of the backpackers:
Free Breaky (not that we made it most days)
Wicked decking and comfy chairs for reading your book on, using free internet etc
Majority of staff lovely (softly spoken gentlemen with an accent was a gem, always helpful and so nice)
In my opinion Bar is in a ridiculous spot (its amongst the rooms over in a weird corner). Regardless of the hostel not being a party hostel the bar should be up on the deck, it would improve and relax the atmosphere in the evening greatly. Given its not a party hostel the bar being on the deck and some nice cruisy background blues & roots type music would complement the vibe of the hostel beautifully. On nights when a movie is run instead the bar could still serve without music. This is my personal opinion only.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Northern Greenhouse is centrally located in the middle of Cairns with tour pick up points, night life and attractions less than a five minute walk from the hostel. Every room includes a an ensuite bathroom and shower, air conditioning, private balcony or garden, powered lockers and kitchenette. Guests also receive Free Daily Breakfast, Free Unlimited Internet 24/7 as well as experiences such as a Free trip to a hidden rainforest swimming hole, sailing classes, trip to nearby Ellis Beach, the Botanical Gardens and more.If you are still looking for ideas of tours and day trips, see the experts at our in house Fully Licensed Travel Agency for the best deals on travel and experiences around Australia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Agoda and Booking.com so you can book your The Northern Greenhouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Northern Greenhouse Hotel Cairns
- The Northern Greenhouse Cairns, Queensland